Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Early e-brake replacement Help
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
WizPorsche914
Guys I need help, I am trying to replace my early style 1971 e brake with a later style. I cannot figure out how it comes apart from the cable. Please help.
dr914@autoatlanta.com
wiggle it off of the mounting stud welded to the body and remove the square clip that secures the pin to the equalizer cable then remove the pin. You will have to remove the seat to access, but the seat just slides out after releasing the outboard tension clip

QUOTE(WizPorsche914 @ Jul 2 2021, 06:43 AM) *

Guys I need help, I am trying to replace my early style 1971 e brake with a later style. I cannot figure out how it comes apart from the cable. Please help.

sjhenry1075
QUOTE(WizPorsche914 @ Jul 2 2021, 09:43 AM) *

Thanks for asking this question, I also need to do this. I'm currently carrying around a block of wood as my "e-brake".
WizPorsche914
QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Jul 2 2021, 10:18 AM) *

wiggle it off of the mounting stud welded to the body and remove the square clip that secures the pin to the equalizer cable then remove the pin. You will have to remove the seat to access, but the seat just slides out after releasing the outboard tension clip

QUOTE(WizPorsche914 @ Jul 2 2021, 06:43 AM) *

Thank you, I have the seat removed, I got it off the stud already just couldn't figure out the cable end.
Cairo94507
Post up a picture of your brake handle and the cable end so we can see if it is original or someone in the past monkeyed with it please. beerchug.gif
mepstein
Usually a pin with a small c clip
RiqueMar
I was just dealing with this. Note, there are 2- styles with two-different handles and cables.

Early Handles and Cables (Pictured) - These use the same clutch-clevis pin to connect the short-cable to the handle (also pictured)

Late handles and Cables - The cable and handle are one-piece, and require you to bend and deform the base of the handle to disconnect the cable. bye1.gif

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
WizPorsche914
Thanks guys, I will take some pictures tonight when I get home.
Shivers
I did this about 10 years ago, old handle to the new style handle. It's easy with the seat moved. I spent maybe a few hours and part of that was paint drying.
theer
I actually like the early handle. It's another anti-theft mechanism to add to the "rare" manual transmission - no one knows how to operate either of them!

Let me know if you're getting rid of the handle.

Thanks,
Tom

WizPorsche914
Click to view attachment
WizPorsche914
Click to view attachment
WizPorsche914
This flew off when I detached it
Click to view attachment
WizPorsche914
Click to view attachment
WizPorsche914
Click to view attachment
bdstone914
That coil spring is not stock. Early cars did not have a spring from the equalizer to the firewall.
WizPorsche914
Ugh show me what I need to buy to fix it right, I HATE rigging stuff.

QUOTE(bdstone914 @ Jul 2 2021, 09:26 PM) *

That coil spring is not stock. Early cars did not have a spring from the equalizer to the firewall.
bdstone914
QUOTE(WizPorsche914 @ Jul 2 2021, 06:56 PM) *

You have the right parts. Ditch the spring, clip the clevis pin around the cable end. Put the cogged piece inside of the handle. Will it lock in the up position?
Most of them have a flat spring inside the handle that breaks.
WizPorsche914
No the original handle will not stay up that’s why I’m replacing it. I’ll see what happens tomorrow thank you so much.

QUOTE(bdstone914 @ Jul 2 2021, 10:25 PM) *

QUOTE(WizPorsche914 @ Jul 2 2021, 06:56 PM) *

You have the right parts. Ditch the spring, clip the clevis pin around the cable end. Put the cogged piece inside of the handle. Will it lock in the up position?
Most of them have a flat spring inside the handle that breaks.

RiqueMar
@WizPorsche914 - Do you the ratchet handle Parking brake?
WizPorsche914
I think I need a new cable and pin. But the spring and e brake are out.
bdstone914
QUOTE(WizPorsche914 @ Jul 3 2021, 10:57 AM) *

I think I need a new cable and pin. But the spring and e brake are out.

Place the end of the pin in a vise with the other end facing up and drive it out. New cables are about $150.
Get a new clevis pin.

@WizPorsche914
mepstein
I heat the pieces red hot with a mapp torch, add some penetrating oil as they cool and heat and repeat. Then it usually comes out easily.

Heat is your friend when it comes to rusty parts. Don't be shy.
WizPorsche914
Once the clevis pin is installed is there anything else I need to hold it in place ? I am switching to a late style handle so hopefully everything is the same.
WizPorsche914
If someone could be so kind to take a picture of the setup actually installed would help me greatly see what is correct. Haynes or clymer manuals don’t show it and the factory diagram is hard for me to determine.
WizPorsche914
Its out !! It took a press but it popped out. Thanks guys it saved me $$$
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.