Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Wiper washer hose hookup to switch
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Medtner3
anyone know which hose from the wiper washer switch in back of the steering column goes to the Driver's side and which hose goes the passengers side. I need the routing to replace my hosesClick to view attachment
I found this diagram
FlacaProductions
I don't think it matters - others will confirm, hopefully.
wonkipop
if you have the steering wheel lever mounted valve.
usually the bottle line goes to the bottom coupling nozzle.
the windscreen jet line goes to the top coupling nozzle above it.

but as suggested above, they probably do work either way.

mounting the bottle line to the bottom assists with when it blows off? smile.gif
its the one that is always pressurized.
10 times out of 10 thats the one the VW service mechanics would have needed to attend to.
not that they are particularly easy to get at anyway.

i can't recall where the hoses go through the firewall left hand drive.
both of mine pass through the firewall on what you would call the passenger side.
its rhd now.

there is another little nuance to the hoses in the 74 on cars with the black washer jets.
they have an in line valve that is in the sections of hose under the washer jets.
the jets do not have a built in valve like the earlier ones. the parts manual gets a bit vague on this suggesting that the T junction piece is the valve as well. maybe it was on some cars. but mine just has a T - junction piece, then an inline valve in each line to the nozzle. the valve joins the spray nozzle with a length of about 2 inches of hose. i think the valves are there to keep the lines full of water so they spray instantly as soon as you pull the lever.
wonkipop
it took me a while to work out what you meant by drivers side and passenger side lines.

had a look at mine and i could see hidden up near wiper mechanism in front trunk is the original grommet the hoses came through left hand drive.
it twigged failing memory.
one hose out of grommet goes left to bottle which is what you mean by passenger side?
one hose came out and joined to a T in front of the driver position in the front trunk area under the cowl.

Click to view attachment

advice as before for bottle (= passenger) connection.

interesting to remember what was done going to rhd.
i drilled a new hole above where the steering column bracket was repositioned.
exited both lines there. and mirror switched the jet hose lines.

this is the in line valve i have below the washer jets.
a 911 part and available. from memory not exactly the same as the originals,
which i kept somewhere in a box. ts the one porsche use now. in line valves are known for clagging up. were something i had to replace to get the system going 100%.
that part called 6/1, T-junction in the diagram above, is supposed to do the same thing.
those in line valves were on my system from 89 so i am pretty sure they were original and maybe an update by factory from earlier t and valve in one.

Click to view attachment
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.