Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Upgrading brakes
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
partwerks
I was wondering if I could just upgrade the front brakes, and leave the back ones the way they are, or would that make things not work correctly?
Have some Carrera rotors available, but know I would need a bigger caliper than what I currently have.
I think the bolt spacing center to center on the front calipers was 3.5", and the back, 3". My front rotors at this point are 15/16" wide, and the back are 3/4" wide. I currently have torsion bars. Not sure what size.
I have some bigger torsion bars available.
The unmounted A arms are suited for a swaybar, and look to have brass bushings?
Are the brass bushings on the end suitable for just driving on the street, or would it be best to leave the rubber ones I have?

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Superhawk996
There is too much going on in this post to respond with an intelligent answer.

Let me ask a question. Why do you believe you need any of these “upgrades”?

Auto crossing ? Going racing? Big six conversion? 5 lug conversion?

If I understand your post, you are only intending street use in which case, many of these upgrades come with some pretty extensive trade offs in terms of safety (improper brake balance & degraded pedal feel), unnecessary added weight, and poor handling (adding bigger anti roll bar to the front), and degraded ride (non-rubber bushings).

There will be significant suspension tuning to be done to return the car to a decent handling balance that out performs the factory tuning. Are you prepared to take that on?
bdstone914
The bearing brackets are on backwards.

Click to view attachment
mepstein
Read Eric’s classic thread first - http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=105728
davep
You have not explained your current suspension & brake configuration fully. I see the front has Coil-over struts, aftermarket sway bar and A calipers. The A caliper leads me to think you already have 911 front suspension. To go to thicker rotors you could just use wide-A calipers to accommodate the thickness. Do you still have front torsion bars or are you planning to replace the coil-overs with new torsion bars?
The rear calipers you make no mention of, so we have no idea of your current brake balance. If you use stock 914/4 rear calipers, then your balance is already compromised.
Thicker rotors will provide more heat capacity and fade resistance, but comes with several penalties as well. The additional weight of caliper, rotor, wider rims and wider tires has at least 3 effects: it is unsprung weight which has negative consequences for handling, the rotor and wheel acts as a flywheel with significant inertial effects resulting in reduced acceleration, reduced braking (if only a rotor change) and increased heat energy in the rotor.
The big thing is, what are you trying to accomplish?
Shivers
If you are not happy with the braking or handling then it is your car. But from the pics I have seen, it looks like it would be a lot of fun to drive.
infraredcalvin
agree.gif

You look to have a decent setup as it sits. You need to fully understand what you already have, and as others have stated, what you’re trying to achieve, because swapping some of those parts might be considered a performance downgrade. Btw those brass bushings are poly bronze bushings from Elephant Racing, I have these on my 930, there are pluses and minuses to installing those.

Another observation, it appears your brake line is being sandwiched between the coil and the stop, please make sure that’s addressed before you lower the car.

Click to view attachment
SirAndy
QUOTE(infraredcalvin @ Jul 3 2021, 07:34 AM) *
Another observation, it appears your brake line is being sandwiched between the coil and the stop, please make sure that’s addressed before you lower the car.

wacko.gif icon8.gif stromberg.gif
partwerks
QUOTE(davep @ Jul 3 2021, 06:00 AM) *

You have not explained your current suspension & brake configuration fully. I see the front has Coil-over struts, aftermarket sway bar and A calipers. The A caliper leads me to think you already have 911 front suspension. To go to thicker rotors you could just use wide-A calipers to accommodate the thickness. Do you still have front torsion bars or are you planning to replace the coil-overs with new torsion bars?
The rear calipers you make no mention of, so we have no idea of your current brake balance. If you use stock 914/4 rear calipers, then your balance is already compromised.
Thicker rotors will provide more heat capacity and fade resistance, but comes with several penalties as well. The additional weight of caliper, rotor, wider rims and wider tires has at least 3 effects: it is unsprung weight which has negative consequences for handling, the rotor and wheel acts as a flywheel with significant inertial effects resulting in reduced acceleration, reduced braking (if only a rotor change) and increased heat energy in the rotor.

I was just seeing if it was even necessary to do any changes.
It had been converted to a 5 lug when I got it back in 2006.
Will be putting on a rear factory sway bar though.
Have the Chevrolet ls3 with hot cam.
Click to view attachment
partwerks
QUOTE(bdstone914 @ Jul 3 2021, 02:15 AM) *

Click to view attachment

They were on that way when I got them from the storage stash.
infraredcalvin
QUOTE(partwerks @ Jul 3 2021, 12:32 PM) *

Click to view attachment

Thes come with a race that gets JB welded to the a arm. The inner brass bushing and outer brass bushing slide easily on and off the race. These are probably just wired like that to hold them in place for storage/transport.
infraredcalvin
QUOTE(partwerks @ Jul 3 2021, 12:30 PM) *

Click to view attachment

BTW, this appears to be an “M” caliper, not an “A” If that’s the case, the wide “A” you have in the parts box would be an upgrade.
partwerks
QUOTE(infraredcalvin @ Jul 3 2021, 12:32 PM) *

QUOTE(partwerks @ Jul 3 2021, 12:32 PM) *

Click to view attachment

Thes come with a race that gets JB welded to the a arm. The inner brass bushing and outer brass bushing slide easily on and off the race. These are probably just wired like that to hold them in place for storage/transport.

Yes. Probably wired on so they didn't loose track of them, and just slapped them on in no particular order.
mepstein
QUOTE(infraredcalvin @ Jul 3 2021, 04:38 PM) *

Click to view attachment

BTW, this appears to be an “M” caliper, not an “A” If that’s the case, the wide “A” you have in the parts box would be an upgrade.

If it's an M (3" spacing) then to install wide A's, you need 3 1/2" struts.
infraredcalvin
QUOTE(mepstein @ Jul 3 2021, 02:14 PM) *

QUOTE(infraredcalvin @ Jul 3 2021, 04:38 PM) *

Click to view attachment

If it's an M (3" spacing) then to install wide A's, you need 3 1/2" struts.

Ugh, I just noticed, those are rear brakes…. They still appear to be Ms…

This is getting confusing, sorry about that… best to clearly post what you have currently brake wise, then let’s discuss…
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.