Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Re-Installing Oil Filter Bypass
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
motorvated
After removing the oil filter and Accusump adapter plate on my 2.0 liter four,, I found the three components of the oil filter bypass that had fallen out of the oil filter flange.
Click to view attachment

My question is how do I secure the retaining ring into the recess so that it won't come out again. Should I make a few dimples in it with a punch, lightly coat the outside of it with JB Weld, do something else, or just drive it back in and hope for the best. All recommendations welcome and appreciated.
914sgofast2
I would get another oil filer housing. I wouldn't trust the one you have.
We had a similar problem with my son's 1.7L engine, but we didn't know enough about these cars yet to know where the ball and spring had come from. Son took the oil filter off but did not notice that the ball and spring had dropped into the oil drain pan. Car ran OK for a week before the motor seized due to low oil pressure at the cam bearings. When we tore it down for a rebuild, we learned where the ball and spring came from. Never did find the "locking" ring that was supposed to keep the ball and spring in the oil filter housing. Live and learn.
bdstone914
@motorvated
Not worth chancing a motor over if it falls out.
I have a bunch of cleaned ones.
$20 shipped.
motorvated
QUOTE(bdstone914 @ Jul 4 2021, 06:04 PM) *

@motorvated
Not worth chancing a motor over if it falls out.
I have a bunch of cleaned ones.
$20 shipped.

PM sent.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.