Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Shifter Alignment
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
eyecolor
I have a 1975 914 that recently cannot get into 3 rd gear. Reverse , 1st and second are fine.
I am trying to align the shift coupler but cannot seem to still get to 3rd. It would help if I could somehow know I was in 3rd and work backwards.
I have searched this site and many others for a photo of the different displacements that are apparent looking under the trans as we enter the different gears.. My bushings are fine .
Any advice quite welcome.
I have been a learner and lurker for over 10 years.
Thanks in advance

George O.
michael7810
So looking at the rod that connects to the shift rod on 1 end and the other end goes into the tranny, inside the black, oval dust boot on the transmission. When in neutral, the rod will easily slide up and down (into and out of the transmission). Place the rod half way in and rotate it forward and that will be 3rd gear. I hope that makes sense.
iankarr
agree.gif
There are three “planes” the shifter fork passes through, with fore and aft gear engagements in each plane. The plane closest to the trans is 1/R, the middle plane is 2/3 and the plane furthest away from the case is 4/5….with the first number in each pairing pointing rearward. Think of the shift rod/fork working in opposition to the shifter itself.
jim_hoyland
To visualize the gears and there planes, I would like to see a video made while a car in on a lift and the console cover off.
PanelBilly
We’ll you’re in luck. I have mine pulled apart to install Chris’ linkage mod and will make a video this morning. I’m just starting to adjust everything
jim_hoyland
QUOTE(PanelBilly @ Jul 5 2021, 08:12 AM) *

We’ll you’re in luck. I have mine pulled apart to install Chris’ linkage mod and will make a video this morning. I’m just starting to adjust everything

Thanks! smile.gif Great,I am a visual learner, despite setting my shifter many times and reading many threads; I still can't see how the arm in the console moves between gears.
maf914
QUOTE(PanelBilly @ Jul 5 2021, 07:12 AM) *

PanelBilly, That's great. I hope you post plenty of photos of your installation. I do like the Tangerine linkage concept.
eyecolor
QUOTE(maf914 @ Jul 5 2021, 10:02 AM) *

QUOTE(PanelBilly @ Jul 5 2021, 07:12 AM) *

PanelBilly, That's great. I hope you post plenty of photos of your installation. I do like the Tangerine linkage concept.

You all are amazing!
I can move forward(pun intended)
Thank you!
George
Wilmington,DE
eyecolor
QUOTE(iankarr @ Jul 4 2021, 08:02 PM) *

agree.gif
There are three “planes” the shifter fork passes through, with fore and aft gear engagements in each plane. The plane closest to the trans is 1/R, the middle plane is 2/3 and the plane furthest away from the case is 4/5….with the first number in each pairing pointing rearward. Think of the shift rod/fork working in opposition to the shifter itself.

Thanks Ian The check is in the mail.
George
eyecolor
QUOTE(michael7810 @ Jul 4 2021, 01:46 PM) *

So looking at the rod that connects to the shift rod on 1 end and the other end goes into the tranny, inside the black, oval dust boot on the transmission. When in neutral, the rod will easily slide up and down (into and out of the transmission). Place the rod half way in and rotate it forward and that will be 3rd gear. I hope that makes sense.

It certainly does!

Thanks!
PanelBilly
Here's the segment that shows how the linkage works. I need to edit together all the short videos I did of the install before I'm ready to share that part. I'll post it as a stand alone thread when its ready. Just drove the car and its fantastic. Money well spent!
Sorry I didn't embed it properly

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m-vjTcmaop4
Dr Evil
Click the link for the notes in my signature. I have a method I use with some simple graphics to explain.
Dr Evil
Double post. Oopse.
gereed75
As posted before, I am a big proponent of this set up from Tangerine and this video demonstrates exactly why.

By constraining the movement o f the shifter rod in the console, this double bearing setup translates the typical wig wag shifter rod movement into exactly the rotation and direct fore aft movement that the trans shifter arm needs to efficiently select gears

Billy, you gonna like it!
jim_hoyland
QUOTE(gereed75 @ Jul 8 2021, 01:25 PM) *

As posted before, I am a big proponent of this set up from Tangerine and this video demonstrates exactly why.

By constraining the movement o f the shifter rod in the console, this double bearing setup translates the typical wig wag shifter rod movement into exactly the rotation and direct fore aft movement that the trans shifter arm needs to efficiently select gears

Billy, you gonna like it!

We’ll said ! I had the Tangerine kit installed too and shifting is 100% better; make sure the firewall bushing is good. Or better, install the Tangerine bushing
euro911
QUOTE(PanelBilly @ Jul 5 2021, 06:10 PM) *

Here's the segment that shows how the linkage works. I need to edit together all the short videos I did of the install before I'm ready to share that part. I'll post it as a stand alone thread when its ready. Just drove the car and its fantastic. Money well spent!

Gr8 video, Billy ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=/m-vjTcmaop4
Dr Evil
I really like the example above of the external modifications, but I will keep saying that internally there is slop that will always make this not precise. I modify the internal bits to remove slop see video 1 stock amount of slop, which you can also see when gears are selected in Marks video above with the kit installed.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vb2lBHNAVk0
Dr Evil
And same set up with my mods.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P2SmpwTKYvY
eyecolor
QUOTE(PanelBilly @ Jul 5 2021, 06:10 PM) *

That is really a "KEEPER"

Thanks so much

George
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.