Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What's a proper budget for a 914 in decent shape
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
914lover17
Really struggling with my 914 search, the 4 available in Canada aren't cutting it - either hunks of junk or way overpriced according to enthusiasts on here.

I've posted a couple I was interested in long distance/US but they we're shot down pretty quick (for valid reasons).

What's a realistic budget for a good condition 914? Something with little rust and fairly original that can easily be kept up and restored as I go.

I'm starting to think I missed the boat, and being in Canada is making it even tougher. Is this a realistic search or should I move on?

I was hoping to pay 25-35k CDN total (over time), but looks like 40k is the going rate to get into something decent here nowadays. or spend around 2-5k USD extra to get something back home across the border.

Anyone have experience shopping for a 914 in Canada (recently)? 2000 911's are cheaper and readily available. Not like I want one, just feels weird.

Are rolling projects suitable for someone with little experience? I have some help, time, and money alloted and am more than willing to learn but it's pretty scary given I can barely recognize a good car that's complete let alone try and judge a car in boxes.
mepstein
This would be my pick for sale under $20k.
Very nice car. Seller is a great guy and World member.

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=353440
KELTY360
How long have you been looking? You need to constantly stay on the market and eventually you’ll find the right car it takes patience, especially from a distance. $17 - 22k usd should get you a good starting point. The more cars you evaluate the better prepared you are to act when the right one comes along. You’re wise to use this forum for advice and for the classifieds. Good luck, it’s worth the search.
914lover17
QUOTE(mepstein @ Jul 5 2021, 08:56 AM) *

I've seen that one, I really like the body work he did - I don' know much, but it looks like he did some quality work you wanna see.

I'm not exactly a "local buyer" though haha

I just watched a 74 914 2.0 go for almost 24k on BAT with some signs of collision damage, alignment issues, at least 4 owners and mismatched vins with the wrong one (9 digits) on the title.

Are there any differences besides the bumpers which he already backdated between 74's and 76's?
914lover17
QUOTE(KELTY360 @ Jul 5 2021, 09:05 AM) *

How long have you been looking? You need to constantly stay on the market and eventually you’ll find the right car it takes patience, especially from a distance. $17 - 22k usd should get you a good starting point. The more cars you evaluate the better prepared you are to act when the right one comes along. You’re wise to use this forum for advice and for the classifieds. Good luck, it’s worth the search.

Thanks! Only 2-3 months. That's what I was wondering - it reminds me of buying a house. Feels hopeless until you find one.

Appreciate the advice!
mb911
QUOTE(mepstein @ Jul 5 2021, 06:56 AM) *

agree.gif
mihai914
I'm going to be a bit more blunt.

As others have mentioned, finding the right car takes time:

1. For the right car for you to show up.
2. To learn as much as possible on 914s.

You're in Ontario I believe, have you reached out to other 914 owners to get a look at their car and hear their story?

Have you driven a 914 to see if you feel confortable with the car?

Have you read a bunch of restoration threads on this site to get a feeling on what you want too tackle if you end up buying a driver?

There's great 914s and other Porsches in Canada and in the US, most are not advertised, you need to do some legwork, develop contacts to find them.

Good luck in your quest.
Mark Henry
Also join and watch the farcebook 'Porsche 914 Canada' page.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/293831514346879
mepstein
QUOTE(914lover17 @ Jul 5 2021, 11:12 AM) *

I've seen that one, I really like the body work he did - I don' know much, but it looks like he did some quality work you wanna see.

I just watched a 74 914 2.0 go for almost 24k on BAT with some signs of collision damage, alignment issues, at least 4 owners and mismatched vins with the wrong one (9 digits) on the title.

Are there any differences besides the bumpers which he already backdated between 74's and 76's?

I would travel to the car. The seller isn’t some pie in the sky Craigslist seller. His terms might be off putting to some buyers but that might work in your favor. I’ve learned to be more discriminating when I sell because it attracts less buyers but oftentimes better ones. If you like the car, call him up and speak to him. - just my suggestion, I have no skin in the game. beerchug.gif
rhodyguy
Plan on spending 5-10k more than you anticipate. Spend it now or over the next few years while the car is in pieces.
KELTY360
QUOTE(mepstein @ Jul 5 2021, 09:39 AM) *

QUOTE(914lover17 @ Jul 5 2021, 11:12 AM) *

I would travel to the car. The seller isn’t some pie in the sky Craigslist seller. His terms might be off putting to some buyers but that might work in your favor. I’ve learned to be more discriminating when I sell because it attracts less buyers but oftentimes better ones. If you like the car, call him up and speak to him. - just my suggestion, I have no skin in the game. beerchug.gif

agree.gif I’ve bought a 914, two VW Weastfalias and a ‘54 Mercury long distance. It’s just as important to feel comfortable with the seller as the car. If you like the car, spend time talking to the seller; ask questions: how long owned, how was it used, what repairs, who did repairs, why selling, what payment accepted, etc.

If there are other people on the forum familiar with the car, talk to them. Don’t hesitate to get a ppi. A long distance purchase can be a great experience. Consider the trip part of the cost of the car. Good luck.
Shivers
It would cost about $350.00 for a round trip ticket to virginia to go see the car. If you really want to find your 914, it may cost you a little to save a lot. If you have not driven one you are in for some fun. No traction control, no antilock brakes, this is a seat of the pants street legal go-cart. Another thing to consider. Best of luck.
dt4
would you like to import one back?
I am considering selling my 996 and my 914 in order to get into the air cooled 911
Mark Henry
QUOTE(Shivers @ Jul 5 2021, 01:21 PM) *

It would cost about $350.00 for a round trip ticket to virginia to go see the car. If you really want to find your 914, it may cost you a little to save a lot. If you have not driven one you are in for some fun. No traction control, no antilock brakes, this is a seat of the pants street legal go-cart. Another thing to consider. Best of luck.

He's in Canada....maybe $1350 round trip...if he can even get across the border right now.
dr914@autoatlanta.com
twenty through 25 thousand should do it. Look for 73-76

QUOTE(914lover17 @ Jul 5 2021, 07:22 AM) *

Really struggling with my 914 search, the 4 available in Canada aren't cutting it - either hunks of junk or way overpriced according to enthusiasts on here.

I've posted a couple I was interested in long distance/US but they we're shot down pretty quick (for valid reasons).

What's a realistic budget for a good condition 914? Something with little rust and fairly original that can easily be kept up and restored as I go.

I'm starting to think I missed the boat, and being in Canada is making it even tougher. Is this a realistic search or should I move on?

I was hoping to pay 25-35k CDN total (over time), but looks like 40k is the going rate to get into something decent here nowadays. or spend around 2-5k USD extra to get something back home across the border.

Anyone have experience shopping for a 914 in Canada (recently)? 2000 911's are cheaper and readily available. Not like I want one, just feels weird.

Are rolling projects suitable for someone with little experience? I have some help, time, and money alloted and am more than willing to learn but it's pretty scary given I can barely recognize a good car that's complete let alone try and judge a car in boxes.

StarBear
Panorama magazine had a comprehensive evaluation of 914 prices by model and condition. A few months ago, I think. I thought I kept it but don't see it in my file so must have sent it to my brother.
Montreal914
I would stay away from the BAT stuff.
If I was looking for another one, I would buy from a long time member/owner on the forum, preferably a dry CA or AZ car.

The border is currently an issue sad.gif but that will end at some point. Stay on the hunt, and make it a trip, and maybe even a trip back, if you are adventurous! driving.gif

When I moved to SoCal 11+ years ago, I bought my 1st 914 (always wanted one) a month after arriving here. It was the fist one that I saw, after seeing a black 76 912E that was in fair/poor shape. I was amazed to see the lack of rust (in Canadian standard). Still today, although there is no such thing as a rust free 914, I am always amazed to see how bolts can be removed without the torch and typical snap or damage.

Good luck with the search, as mentioned, there are some well maintained car in the 15-25 range, especially if you are not too fussy about number matching and originality. A 2liter Djet engine in a well sorted car is a lot of good reliable fun! smile.gif
Boomvang
@Montreal914 , not all BAT offerings are bad, like anything else due diligence is required, along with interaction with the sellers. I bought my 914 on BAT 2 years ago from a non-Porsche seller, who purchased the car from his neighbor, knowing nothing about the marque. I paid $11.5.
The car was solid, but had blown shocks, bad ball joints, a non-functioning horn, and a broken fuel tank sender. I didn't feel bad about my purchase as the car was rust free with a strong motor, good gearbox and mint interior.
I am currently selling it on BAT, and welcome any and all questions.
KELTY360
QUOTE(Boomvang @ Jul 5 2021, 04:11 PM) *

@Montreal914 , not all BAT offerings are bad, like anything else due diligence is required, along with interaction with the sellers. I bought my 914 on BAT 2 years ago from a non-Porsche seller, who purchased the car from his neighbor, knowing nothing about the marque. I paid $11.5.
The car was solid, but had blown shocks, bad ball joints, a non-functioning horn, and a broken fuel tank sender. I didn't feel bad about my purchase as the car was rust free with a strong motor, good gearbox and mint interior.
I am currently selling it on BAT, and welcome any and all questions.

The BAT of two years ago is a different animal from today’s BAT.
mepstein
Be careful choosing a car based on price. I see a lot of $5-10k cars getting cheap paint and listing at $20-30k. They look good in the pics but terrible in person. It’s been very common in the 911 world and now that a couple 914’s have sold for big money, people with average or less cars are trying to cash in.

Cairo94507
All of the above is very true. The best you can do while the border presents an issue, is to read every thread you can on 914s and their issues. Educate yourself so when you are finally able to go see one, in person ideally, you will know what you are looking at and how to find all of the issues as there are quite a few "Pigs with lipstick" out there.

Be diligent, looking at all possible sources for 914s for sale so you can act when the time comes. Then be prepared to act. If a car is out of your area, don't be afraid to post here and ask if anyone can do a PPI (pre-purchase inspection) for you and shoot some pictures and video so you can see if it merits further consideration and a trip or not.

I think $20K-ish is a reasonable budget for a solid car worthy of buying. If I were in the market, I would shop for a '73 2.0 (because I bought one when they were brand new). But really, anything that is solid is worth buying. Unless you plan to concours it and absolutely have to have a matching numbers car, a solid chassis is worth its weight in gold. Then put what ever engine you want in it.

Lastly, enjoy learning all you can as well as the hunt.
Cheers,
Michael beerchug.gif
Root_Werks
Lots of good advice and experiences here. For me, I have to remember to always, always, always put hands on a car and drive it before buying it. Only twice have I not done this and wound up paying for it.
mepstein
Even the best get burned when they buy a car without seeing in person. Not all the time. Most sellers are great but it happens on every level.
Spend the travel money. It’s always an educational even if you don’t purchase.
Root_Werks
QUOTE(mepstein @ Jul 6 2021, 08:32 AM) *

Even the best get burned when they buy a car without seeing in person. Not all the time. Most sellers are great but it happens on every level.

My latest 914 purchase was this situation. It wasn't that the seller was trying to hide anything more than our perspectives of condition were very different. Had I seen the 914 in person before buying it, would I still have bought it? Probably not.

agree.gif

Spend the travel money, go see the car you want to buy for yourself. Sometimes the best money you spend is the money you don't spend.
Andyrew
QUOTE(mepstein @ Jul 6 2021, 08:32 AM) *

I agree. Always travel.

I bought a classic sight unseen through an extremely reputable classic car dealer. It looked 100% perfect in the pics, like concourse level 98 point perfect.

I have it shipped because I have a HARD time getting away from the house with the kids and work.

I get it and It is very clear that they carefully pick the shots and specifically didnt show any defects.

Did I over pay? Not by much... but the gut wrench of being "Had" by a group I thought I could have trusted is hard. They clearly advertised it carefully.

Had I seen it in person I would have tried to knock another couple grand off the price and likely been unsuccessful.
Shivers
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Jul 5 2021, 11:41 AM) *

QUOTE(Shivers @ Jul 5 2021, 01:21 PM) *

He's in Canada....maybe $1350 round trip...if he can even get across the border right now.

Today it's 404.96 round trip on Delta, Wed, Jul 21 - Fri, Jul 23 (2 Nights) on priceline. But I didn't think of the Covid restrictions.
mepstein
We had a customer buy a “perfect” 914 from a dealer. His usual mechanic raved about how nice it was. I put it on the lift and showed him $25k of metal work repairs (shop rates). He said I was crazy. Our really amazing metal guy took a look and pointed out some stuff I missed but said 25k to start - shop paint isn’t cheap once the metal work is done. He left disgusted at me and had a transport company pick up the car. Dealers are there to make the deal. They really don’t care what happens after.
930cabman
I have been lucky and unlucky purchasing sight unseen. Make the trip, it's a safe bet.
Morph914
If you find a good dry car that is not running ,like I did, with many of its parts in boxes. Get a detailed list of what is included!!! I failed to do this, and although I purchased from a great seller, there were a lot of small pieces here and there that were missing. These parts add up quickly!

Good luck with your search, and don’t be afraid to ask one of us to do a PPI for you if you are not able to travel to the car, or if you want an experienced set of eyes to view the car.

Cheers,
John
gvlb914
Don't give up looking, somewhere along the trail one will be become available that suits your budget and your fancy.
Have you contacted Mike's 914s in Colborne, ON? I purchased mine in 2018 from him and I am very please with how it has turned out ..... I was able to get the restoration/refurbishing parts through this site (914world), as many of the guys here are very knowledgeable and I have been able to get many of their offerings into Canada and into my car .... 914rubber has also been a treasure trove of replacement parts!!
I can give you Mike's phone number etc if you want to give him a try.
Good luck with your search....
Cheers from New Hamburg, ON. gvlb914 driving.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.