Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Buying a Clutch Kit from Schucks?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Eric Taylor
I've got to replace the clutch in the 1.7 , but I don't plan to be using that engine for much longer than a year. Hopefully I will be rebuliding the 2.0 out of the wreck and putting it in there. SO I just taked to schucks and they have a clutch kit for $79. Pelican's 20 piece is $329. So what i'm wondering is would it be stupid to put in the cheaper one? If I were to get the 20 piece the idea would be to pull that when I rebuild the 2.0 and put it in with the 2.0.
Thanks,
Eric huh.gif
Brad Roberts
Buy the cheapy and just "get buy" with that.

Clutch discs are clutch discs...

B
Joe Bob
Bullshit....when I was younger, I used to get the rebuilt cheapo clutches for my bugs and they lasted 1/10 of the time the real ones did. Especially if you have a more than stock hp. I learned real quick to not scimp on clutch and trans parts....

Only benefit is that you get real fast dropping yer motor.....
Eric Taylor
Thanks for the advice, but I guess I had a missunderstanding (sp) with the guy on the phone , because I just called to order it, and the kit is really $629- ouch. Well I guess Pelican is pretty competivally priced.
Eroc
Lawrence
I suspect that your FLAPS doesn't carry all the bushings, seals, etc that come with the Pelican kit.

I'm a cheap SOB. I admit it. But I freaking HATE doing a job twice. If it was me, and I was going to get a 2.0 motor, then get the 20 piece kit. Call around, though, and check prices. Both HPH and Paragon were very reasonable.

Oh, get the 6 spring clutch disc, too.

-Rusty smoke.gif
Alfred
I think many of those retailers get their parts from Beck Arnley so it's not all bad.

Alfred
Brad Roberts
Mike... when you where younger.. they didn have a clue. Times have changed. Socal rebuilders use 2-3 different places.. the primary one being "Clutchmasters"

B
Eric Taylor
Thanks for all the info, I just ordered pelican's 20 piece plus all the shift bushing's for the tail shifter. Hopfeully when I'm done this thing will shift pretty well. I won't hold my breath wink.gif .
Eric,
ChrisReale
Why dont you swap the side shifter on your wreck to your new 1.7?
Eric Taylor
Eveuently I will, but I'll do that when I drop the 2.0 in and have to change the engine bar, linkage etc. already.
Eric
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.