Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Engine Number - I'm Stumped
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
FRUNKenstein
I have a '75 2.0 liter 914. VIN is 4752909774. I was looking for the engine block serial number, and found it in the location for a 2.0 engine. However, based on what I am seeing, the serial number is showing for a 1.7 liter block as it starts with "EA". But then the number doesn't really match up with the charts showing the engine block numbers for 1.7 liter engines because all of the EA serial numbers I see listed online start with "00" after the EA. And also, the engine serial number is in the correct location for a 2.0 liter block. So, I'm stumped.

The other unusual thing is that the last digit appears to be a 0, but it seems smaller than the other numbers. The serial number looks to be EA0152330. But again, the 0 on the end looks smaller, like maybe it really isn't part of the serial number. Any help to shed some light on what this means is greatly appreciated! Here is a pic:

Click to view attachment
SirAndy

popcorn[1].gif

SirAndy
Btw, the last mark is not a digit ...

IPB Image
GregAmy
Yeah, I think that's a VW symbol.

What makes you confident came with a 2L engine?

So...:

- Previous owner replaced the 2L with a 1.7L
- Previous owner built a 2L using a 1.7L case.
- Previous owner replaced the rear badge on his 1.7L car with a 2L badge.

See if you can get in there and measure the stroke. 1.7L is 66mm, 2L is 71mm.
FRUNKenstein
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Jul 6 2021, 01:04 PM) *

Btw, the last mark is not a digit ...

IPB Image

Well, that helps. I thought maybe the "E" was a "G", but the pics clearly show it is an "E".
FRUNKenstein
QUOTE(GregAmy @ Jul 6 2021, 01:12 PM) *

Yeah, that's a VW symbol.

What makes you confident came with a 2L engine?

So...:

- Previous owner replaced the 2L with a 1.7L
- Previous owner built a 2L using a 1.7L case.
- Previous owner replaced the rear badge on his 1.7L car with a 2L badge.

See if you can get in there and measure the stroke. 1.7L is 66mm, 2L is 71mm.

Well, the engine serial number isn't in the correct place for a 1.7L.
bdstone914
QUOTE(FRUNKenstein @ Jul 6 2021, 10:52 AM) *

I have a '75 2.0 liter 914. VIN is 4752909774. I was looking for the engine block serial number, and found it in the location for a 2.0 engine. However, based on what I am seeing, the serial number is showing for a 1.7 liter block as it starts with "EA". But then the number doesn't really match up with the charts showing the engine block numbers for 1.7 liter engines because all of the EA serial numbers I see listed online start with "00" after the EA. So, I'm stumped.

The other unusual thing is that the last digit appears to be a 0, but it seems smaller than the other numbers. The serial number looks to be EA0152330. But again, the 0 on the end looks smaller, like maybe it really isn't part of the serial number. Any help to shed some light on what this means is greatly appreciated! Here are some pics:

1975 Porsche 914 photos

Second 914 engine block pic

.Are the heads 2.0 heads with ther intake runner bolts and spark plugs at an angle or straight down? Could be a 2.0 that was rebut with a different case or naybe it is a 1.7. Post a picture of the top of the whole engine.
Shivers
I scattered my 1.7 case, the number was on the flywheel end of the case, passenger side on top. I bought a replacement case that came with no number. They may have added that number to a replacement case in the 2.0 location. I believe the 412 cases had the number in that location.
FRUNKenstein
OK, on searching around the internet, I saw a Pelican forums discussion about the engine serial number charts having 7 digits but the numbers actually stamped into the engines omit the first "0" that's shown in the charts. So, that would make my engine serial number fall into the correct range for a 1972 1.7L engine block. mad.gif

I know from seeing for sale ads for the car from long ago that are still on the internet that the engine was rebuilt at some point prior to 2013, dual Weber carbs were added along with the proper camshaft. So, I suppose they could have used a 1.7 L engine for that rebuild. But, that still doesn't explain the location of the engine serial number stamp. When I get home tonight, I will check the 1.7 L serial number location to see if it is stamped there also. If so, then I guess someone might simply have added a second stamping in the normal 2.0 L location.
GregAmy
Take a peek at Bruce's post above.

Spark plugs are in different locations for the two engines, easily identified from a photo. That will at least tell you which heads are on it.
ejm
It's most likely a VW Type 4 engine case. They had a EA 1.7 engine with the number stamped in that place IIRC.
FRUNKenstein
QUOTE(bdstone914 @ Jul 6 2021, 01:15 PM) *

.Are the heads 2.0 heads with ther intake runner bolts and spark plugs at an angle or straight down? Could be a 2.0 that was rebut with a different case or naybe it is a 1.7. Post a picture of the top of the whole engine.

Thanks very much - I'll take some pics tonight and post them.
930cabman
QUOTE(bdstone914 @ Jul 6 2021, 12:15 PM) *

QUOTE(FRUNKenstein @ Jul 6 2021, 10:52 AM) *

I have a '75 2.0 liter 914. VIN is 4752909774. I was looking for the engine block serial number, and found it in the location for a 2.0 engine. However, based on what I am seeing, the serial number is showing for a 1.7 liter block as it starts with "EA". But then the number doesn't really match up with the charts showing the engine block numbers for 1.7 liter engines because all of the EA serial numbers I see listed online start with "00" after the EA. So, I'm stumped.

The other unusual thing is that the last digit appears to be a 0, but it seems smaller than the other numbers. The serial number looks to be EA0152330. But again, the 0 on the end looks smaller, like maybe it really isn't part of the serial number. Any help to shed some light on what this means is greatly appreciated! Here are some pics:

1975 Porsche 914 photos

Second 914 engine block pic

It's anybody's guess as to what has gone on with anything close to 50 years old. Was the engine running?

Inventory what you have and move forward.
914Sixer
PLEASE look at the number on the case: GA013557. Clearly makes 73-74 2.0 engine block. EA would never haven been stamped on filler neck.
euro911
I don't think that's the OP's motor ... just a pic that Andy posted regarding the stamping after the last digit not being a '0'. confused24.gif
FRUNKenstein
QUOTE(euro911 @ Jul 6 2021, 04:11 PM) *

I don't think that's the OP's motor ... just a pic that Andy posted regarding the stamping after the last digit not being a '0'. confused24.gif

Right, the photo of my engine is linked in the first post.
914Sixer
Sorry, I missed that info in 1st line.
FRUNKenstein
QUOTE(914Sixer @ Jul 6 2021, 05:20 PM) *

Sorry, I missed that info in 1st line.

I just realized that I actually do know how to insert an image (was trying to use the wrong button!), so hopefully this helps.

Click to view attachment
914Sixer
Got the answer on the number. Too many beers at lunch . beer3.gif
FRUNKenstein
So, yesterday afternoon, I remembered that I got a file with a ton of receipts, including receipts for the engine rebuild. I also called one of the prior owners (from 2010 to 2013!) and he filled me in on some info. I also have the contact info for the prior owner that rebuilt the engine in 2008, although I haven't called him yet.

The car was originally a 2.0 liter. In 2008, a shop owner bought the car. The body was solid, but the engine was toast. So, he built a new engine from the ground up. Apparently he built it on a 1.7 liter VW Type 4 engine case (I haven't found the receipt for the case yet), but everything else was 2.0 liter. The original heads were sent off for rehab and re-used (I have that receipt). The cylinders and pistons were purchased new. It was converted to dual Weber carbs at that time, and the correct camshaft for carbs was installed. I have all of those receipts (literally 2 inches thick pile of receipts).

So, I think I know the answer to what happened. I guess the only remaining question is why he used a VW Type 4 1.7 liter case to build the engine on. I suppose in 2008 it wasn't that big of a deal to keep numbers matching. And although the car is in nice shape (I'd call it a good solid "3" condition), it's not a concours vehicle. I drive my cars, and this one drives great with good power. So, in the end, if the engine case number shows it wasn't the original, I can live with that. I am happy that I have all of those receipts to document the car's history.

Thanks to all of you guys for the help!
mepstein
All the cases are basically the same. Jake Raby says he likes early cases because they have a better alloy composition and weren’t stressed like later cases with emissions (at least that’s what I remember)
VaccaRabite
Yeah the 1.7L cases were a bit more sturdy and usually not punished as much at the 2.0 cases and bus cases.

I would imagine that most 914s that are still on the road don't have the original engine. I know mine doesn't.

Zach
mepstein
QUOTE(VaccaRabite @ Jul 7 2021, 01:36 PM) *

Yeah the 1.7L cases were a bit more sturdy and usually not punished as much at the 2.0 cases and bus cases.

I would imagine that most 914s that are still on the road don't have the original engine. I know mine doesn't.

Zach

Enrique told me his dad had a business that would pull your 914 engine and put in a rebuilt one in a day. It’s more just recently that numbers matching, date code matching, has become a thing. I think it’s boring but to each his own.
Al Meredith
I had a case laying around that had no number on the case but did have a VW logo with arrows circling around it. Factory reconditioned case. I built it as a 2956 and it is my 912E now . BTW the original engine in the 912E has no serial number on the case ,it is on the fan shroud
FRUNKenstein
QUOTE(mepstein @ Jul 7 2021, 12:30 PM) *

All the cases are basically the same. Jake Raby says he likes early cases because they have a better alloy composition and weren’t stressed like later cases with emissions (at least that’s what I remember)
QUOTE(VaccaRabite @ Jul 7 2021, 12:36 PM) *

Zach
QUOTE(mepstein @ Jul 7 2021, 12:53 PM) *

QUOTE(VaccaRabite @ Jul 7 2021, 01:36 PM) *

Zach

Enrique told me his dad had a business that would pull your 914 engine and put in a rebuilt one in a day. It’s more just recently that numbers matching, date code matching, has become a thing. I think it’s boring but to each his own.
QUOTE(Al Meredith @ Jul 7 2021, 01:08 PM) *

I had a case laying around that had no number on the case but did have a VW logo with arrows circling around it. Factory reconditioned case. I built it as a 2956 and it is my 912E now . BTW the original engine in the 912E has no serial number on the case ,it is on the fan shroud

Thank you, gentlemen. I really appreciate all of the help and info you guys provide! aktion035.gif aktion035.gif
Dave_Darling
Note that a number of the VW 1.7 applications did have their engine serial number stamped in the "2.0" location. At the very least, the 412 did have its code stamped there.

For example, see here:
https://www.type4.org/technology/finding_numbers.html

So, yeah--someone used a VW Type IV crankcase to build your 914 Type IV motor. As long as it has the filler and dipstick on the top of the motor, and not sticking out the front (914 front!) it's all good. Just not numbers-matching.

--DD
GregAmy
Soooooo...did we ever see some photos of the outside?

Is it resolved?
FRUNKenstein
QUOTE(GregAmy @ Jul 19 2021, 09:04 PM) *

Soooooo...did we ever see some photos of the outside?

Is it resolved?

Thanks for asking - yes, I found receipts for a new set of 2.0 liter cylinders and pistons. Plus, a receipt for rehab of the original 2.0 heads. Apparently the prior owner decided to use a different case for strength when he rebuilt the engine. The speedometer is 150 mph also, further indicating the car was originally a 2.0 liter car.

Attached is from The Great Car Show in downtown KC yesterday.

Click to view attachment
TheCabinetmaker
All cars 73 and after had 150mph speedos.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.