Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Steering rack issue? Caught on video!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
tygaboy
Hi World -
As I'm working to dial in my car, I noticed that there seems to be a bit of play in the rack. You can see the amount of movement and (turn it up) hear the related "clunk". Before you ask:

- the steering is not locked
- all the steering shaft universal joints are tight

More info:
- When I move the steering column as demonstrated with my other hand on the rack's input shaft, I can feel the appropriate amount of movement at the rack.
- When a buddy took over moving the steering column, I reached under the car and grabbed one of the tie rods. I could feel the "clunk" but couldn't detect any movement of the tie rod.

So. Is this even close to normal? Doesn't seem like it.
Assuming not, is this something that can be adjusted out? Or is this an indication that the rack needs rebuilding?

Any help appreciated.
Chris

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bnm1n_q3sEE
914sgofast2
Seems like the inner tie rod ends may have perished.
SirAndy
What does the hard rubber "hardy disk" look like that's inline with the steering shaft?
idea.gif

bdstone914
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Jul 6 2021, 05:44 PM) *

What does the hard rubber "hardy disk" look like that's inline with the steering shaft?
idea.gif

agree.gif
Unfortunately you have to drop the rack to inspect the rubber puck..

See if you have the same amount of play when turned at different positions than dead center. If it is in the rack it will usually were at center. If it is the puck it will have the same amount of play through the range.

tygaboy
QUOTE(bdstone914 @ Jul 6 2021, 06:41 PM) *

QUOTE(SirAndy @ Jul 6 2021, 05:44 PM) *

idea.gif

agree.gif
Unfortunately you have to drop the rack to inspect the rubber puck..

See if you have the same amount of play when turned at different positions than dead center. If it is in the rack it will usually were at center. If it is the puck it will have the same amount of play through the range.

I forgot to mention, there are brand new Lemford turbo tie rods in there and all new parts out to the wheels.

@SirAndy - thanks for the input!

@bdstone914 - I'll check tomorrow but I'm pretty sure the play is there regardless of wheel position. Assuming I need a new puck, any chance you have a good one?
I'll PM you. Thanks much!
ahycaramba
Hi Chris, I had a similar problem. It turned out to be my upper U joint on the intermediate steering shaft was worn out. Easy check, grab hold of the intermediate shaft while you turn your steering wheel, you should be able to feel and see the play in the u joint.
Hope this helps.
SirAndy
QUOTE(tygaboy @ Jul 6 2021, 08:50 PM) *
Assuming I need a new puck, any chance you have a good one?

I believe 914rubber makes a repro ...
idea.gif

Root_Werks
QUOTE(ahycaramba @ Jul 6 2021, 09:08 PM) *

Hi Chris, I had a similar problem. It turned out to be my upper U joint on the intermediate steering shaft was worn out. Easy check, grab hold of the intermediate shaft while you turn your steering wheel, you should be able to feel and see the play in the u joint.
Hope this helps.

agree.gif

Watched the video, Believe there is one inside and one outside the cabin to check.
markhoward
Had a similar clunk on the 911. Was the lower steering shaft u-joint. Bruce Stone hooked me up with a replacement and all is good. I have a new 914 rubber puck that ended up not being used so let me know if you need it.
Mikey914
I’m thinking U joint but if you need more we got it.
euro911
I know it's a pain in the a$$, but you can pull the fuel tank out to expose most of the steering shaft, u-joints and the flexible rubber puck. Make sure all fasteners are cinched up to torque specs.

I'd also double-check the tie rods to make sure they're not loose idea.gif
tygaboy
UPDATE:
I used a vice grip (carefully!) to grab the rack input shaft, just below the lower U-joint.
Then, holding the vice grip with one hand and and the steering hub in the other, I gave things the ol' double reverse twister-oo.

No play between the steering hub and the input shaft.

Then, working only the vice grips, I could duplicate the clunk behavior. Meaning, it's the puck or the rack.

I need to pull the tank to replace it anyway so I'll report back on what I find.

@markhoward - I just may need to take you up on that puck you have!

Thanks to all for your suggestions. It's great to have experienced folks chime in to help identify all the things that could need attention. I didn't even think about that puck thing...
Greatly appreciated!
Mikey914
Just check the tie rod ends before you go through the trouble. Very rarely it's the rack, but possible.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.