Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Werks Reunion Monterey - Who is going?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
Cairo94507
I just registered for this event to have my car judged. Hopefully they will appreciate all of the work the Justice League (Jim, Kent, Bob and Andy (aka Sandy)) put into my car. I have already put about 4,500 miles on my car since it was finished. I expect to have another 1,500 on it before Werks Reunion. I hope they don't get upset that it is not a "Trailer Queen". driving.gif

I have been a PCA member for a very long time and this is the first event I have registered for in a long time.

It is being held at the Bayonet Golf Club in Seaside, CA on 8/13/21. https://www.werksreunion.com/monterey.cfm
Retroracer
QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Jul 7 2021, 07:25 AM) *

I just registered for this event to have my car judged. Hopefully they will appreciate all of the work the Justice League (Jim, Kent, Bob and Andy (aka Sandy)) put into my car. I have already put about 4,500 miles on my car since it was finished. I expect to have another 1,500 on it before Werks Reunion. I hope they don't get upset that it is not a "Trailer Queen". driving.gif

I have been a PCA member for a very long time and this is the first event I have registered for in a long time.

It is being held at the Bayonet Golf Club in Seaside, CA on 8/13/21.

I registered but might not make it (I'll probably be out of town). Corral only for me, as usual.

I'm sure your car will do very well in the judging!

- Tony
JeffBowlsby
I dunno, I hope your experience will be better than mine - so fair warning. The 'experts' dinged my 50K mile original LE because of 'rust' they pointed out to me behind the edge of the engine bay sound pad (it was actually the aged factory adhesive), and for not repainitng the wheels to perfection for a few minor paint chips. I'll take original paint any day over a couple small chips (patina).

They awarded a local and known to them mediocre quality 914/4 over a superb signal orange /6 that just had a full restoration. I hope you will get better judges than I had, someone who really knows the 914

Needless to say that was my last concours if who-you-know is more important than what-you-know. I'd rather be driving than polishing.
Cairo94507
Hi Jeff- Yeah, I am not into the "Concours" scene as evidenced by my driving the car regularly. But I did think it might be cool to enter and let "experts" give it a critical eye to see what they see. new_shocked.gif

Personally, to me my car is a perfect car as it is exactly what I wanted from day 1. I keep working on it to make it even better (in my eyes) and really do not get concerned about the "armchair quarterbacks". beerchug.gif
Wyvern
I'm going again this year (been every year)
Note that this isn't PCA / PCA parade concourse rules (how do I know that ... because I have been a judge)
It is and has been getting much less persnickety for judging, Other than full concours. As have All PCA concours. How do I know that ... because I am the Diablo Region President.

Werks is more and more about the story of the car and you. Go with a fun attitude and you will have fun.

If you want to know more about PCA concours in your area go to a judging school ... you will learn the vibe and have inside info on what they look for and the different classes.

See you there
wes
I’m planning to go although haven registered yet.
Pursang
OT sort of: I used to show my car too back when I belonged to PCA. It's fun and I appreciated the judges comments. Best of luck to you.

Back in the late 1950's my dad was stationed at Fort Ord. We lived near the golf course. Dad played there. We attended the first race held at Laguna Seca and many more through the years; USRRC, Can-Am, Trans-Am, SCCA. The track was in an old field training area and for the first few years you could find old shell casings and the occasional M-1 clip. flag.gif
wes
QUOTE(Pursang @ Jul 8 2021, 12:47 PM) *

OT sort of: I used to show my car too back when I belonged to PCA. It's fun and I appreciated the judges comments. Best of luck to you.

Back in the late 1950's my dad was stationed at Fort Ord. We lived near the golf course. Dad played there. We attended the first race held at Laguna Seca and many more through the years; USRRC, Can-Am, Trans-Am, SCCA. The track was in an old field training area and for the first few years you could find old shell casings and the occasional M-1 clip. flag.gif

The first time I went to Laguna Seca was after hand grenade and gas mask training we could hear the cars in practice runs so on my next day off hunted the back roads by sound and went in from Fort Ord back roads in my old VW camper.
914sgofast2
QUOTE(JeffBowlsby @ Jul 7 2021, 09:26 AM) *

I dunno, I hope your experience will be better than mine - so fair warning. The 'experts' dinged my 50K mile original LE because of 'rust' they pointed out to me behind the edge of the engine bay sound pad (it was actually the aged factory adhesive), and for not repainitng the wheels to perfection for a few minor paint chips. I'll take original paint any day over a couple small chips (patina).

They awarded a local and known to them mediocre quality 914/4 over a superb signal orange /6 that just had a full restoration. I hope you will get better judges than I had, someone who really knows the 914

Needless to say that was my last concours if who-you-know is more important than what-you-know. I'd rather be driving than polishing.

Monterey Car Week is nothing less than a constant stream of the biggest “who you know” car events in the world.
r_towle
I wish I could come see your car in person but that week is booked.
I’m still getting over the fact that you finished your car way before I got mine done...so I need to get mine done now.
I intend to park next to you one of these years at an event on the west coast.
Meanwhile, enjoy the day, it’s why we do this.

Rich
Cairo94507
Hi Rich- Looking forward to seeing you at another event down the road.
Thank you- Michael beerchug.gif
914SIXXation
QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Jul 7 2021, 09:25 AM) *

It is being held at the Bayonet Golf Club in Seaside, CA on 8/13/21. https://www.werksreunion.com/monterey.cfm

I'm presently planning on going if everything falls into place. Glad to see that they are recognizing the 914. I registered last week for the Porsche Corral Parking.

Cheers,
Margie
driving-girl.gif
PCH
I plan on going-hotel room is booked. Unfortunately, Corral parking was sold out by the time I checked.
Beach914
I’ll be there, albeit without a car. Going up weekend before and spend time with my family and mix the car stuff in during the week.

Good friend of mine is showing his 74 Carrera coupe so I want to see that.

Look forward to seeing some 914’s !
Lucky9146
QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Jul 7 2021, 07:25 AM) *

I am going to Werks as well and will be in judged too. More for the fun of it for sure.

I was originally signed up to bring my 911 but after registering learned that the 914 is the featured car this year and they let me switch it to my 914.

Michael your car is as near perfect as they come. As was said earlier in the thread, it is not all that serious at Werks, and also like he said, more about the story, and boy do you have a doozy. biggrin.gif I too have been a judge, but at Amelia and so I know how it goes. I signed up to be judge here this year, although have heard nothing from them yet. confused24.gif

Looking forward to seeing your car! Finally. beerchug.gif
driving.gif white914.jpg
Maltese Falcon
For those of you that will be attending trackside at Laguna Seca Raceway, this year's Historics will also honor George Follmer & Parnelli Jones.
Click to view attachment
Maltese Falcon
I've met both of these awesome racers over the decades, and truly humbled to have shared a handshake + a story with them !
Click to view attachment
Maltese Falcon
Mr. Jones... the infamous story of him being stopped by a highway patrolman for speeding, the cop asked him " Just who do you think you are...Parnell Jones ?" Then out came the wallet with his photo ID !
Click to view attachment
DRPHIL914
QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Jul 7 2021, 10:25 AM) *

QUOTE(JeffBowlsby @ Jul 7 2021, 12:26 PM) *

i can understand Jeff's frustration, i felt that last year, here at Werks Reunion 2020 Ameila island, its different than regular PCA concours judging which is a good thing, but last year i had similar experience in that i saw a much nicer original /6 loose to a restored with issues i could easily see 914/6 in that class, and i didnt even place , first was given to a car and owner that had a lot of issues, not even original, but cool owner history of 40 years and that was what they wanted to put on display, which was really neat actually, we just didnt know what the format was going to be about. This year it was more traditional show judging, and a set of judges that either know 914's or were 914 owners, and knew the cars and they did a great job. like in sports, i never mind loosing the better participant , more than anything i love just spending time with the people that come to see the cars and ask about them, and hear all the stories of those that have also had 914s themselves or a family member that did and it brings back memories that they share.
You guys have beautiful cars with awesome stories but its just a great time with great people. the only thing better has been Okteenerfest!.
I went all out prepping and cleaning and presenting my car and it paid off. Had fun dispite a dropped valve seat causing lost compression and having to trailer home, but thats live with a 914!!! Cant wait to see all the pictures of your cars, here and with Werks and PCA, wish it wasnt so far away! Good luck and remember the judges at Werks are suckers for an awesome ownership story.

eric9144
idea.gif hmm, my car used to be a show queen, wonder if I can make this event. Have never been, what's the deal with trailers and accommodations? Easy peasy I'd assume as the whole event is going to be people from all over the country confused24.gif
Cairo94507
Believe me, my car is no garage queen/trailer rider. I will drive it to the show and park it. Then drive it home. I just thought it would be cool to park it and let others critically examine it. I have thick skin, so let's hear what you have to say about it. smile.gif
eric9144
..and Corral and Judged Field are SOLD OUT. dry.gif

Bummer, should be lots of fun beerchug.gif
wes
I sent a message to PCA Redwood Zone 7’s David Bunch to see if possibly we might get some space for our loved little 914’s since we are supposed to be the celebrated ones this year.
Wyvern
QUOTE(wes @ Jul 26 2021, 11:48 AM) *

I sent a message to PCA Redwood Zone 7’s David Bunch to see if possibly we might get some space for our loved little 914’s since we are supposed to be the celebrated ones this year.

They do have (did have) space . Unfortunately now sold out ...
They are highlighting the 914 in the corral and on the judged area.
I don't think they will be having a special area in ovrerflow / visitor parking lot.
but the corral is separated by model and as the 914 is the featured model that corral line will be "up front" . & would imagine highlighted on the judged area. as well.
Dominic
FYI, when the crowds start to thin out (late morning) and no one is directing parking, move your 914 over to the corral, there's "Usually" plenty of room. Just my $.02

This might be the first year in many that I miss the event, kids have to start school the day before mad.gif

yellowporky
We are taking our kids out. the first week is a waste
Maltese Falcon
When George Follmer drove the L&M 917 first.gif
Click to view attachment
Maltese Falcon
In the same year, George had the Can Am and the Trans Am on Lock first.gif
Click to view attachment
RiqueMar
Bumping this thread, as it is just over a week away. Stars aligned, and I actually have a work event in the area the day before, so I'll be there as a spectator. Excited to meet up with anyone else that is going. bye1.gif
stevesc_us
QUOTE(Beach914 @ Jul 20 2021, 05:28 PM) *

Good friend of mine is showing his 74 Carrera coupe so I want to see that.

I showed mine at Werks a couple of years back, but this year the nominating committee approved my car for the Concours on the Avenue earlier in the week on Tuesday! I’m super excited as this will be the first time attending this event so to be an actual participant for my inaugural makes it even better. Here is a pic from Werks when I showed it back in 2018. Will still be attending Werks this year with my 73 hot rod this time around. Looking forward to seeing some great 914’s. See you all there. Click to view attachment
Cairo94507
I will be there on the 10th with my nephew just spectating. My car will be at Werks on the 13th. beerchug.gif
wes
My last time was I think 2017.Click to view attachment
914SIXXation
QUOTE(PCH @ Jul 20 2021, 04:44 PM) *

I plan on going-hotel room is booked. Unfortunately, Corral parking was sold out by the time I checked.

[/color]CORRAL PASS AVAILABLE[/u] ![i][u]

DEAR 914 WORLD ENTHUSIASTS -

I have a WERKS REUNION CORRAL PASS that is AVAILABLE (Aug. 13). I had registered my 914-6 and am so disappointed that I can't attend, see all the 914s and share stories.!

I phoned PCA today to see if I could transfer it to another person (also letting them know it will go ONLY TO A 914 to be displayed, unless no one expresses interest.)

PCA National contacted Tom Pervasi and he said I could transfer it to someone else. (They don't even have to be a member of PCA. -- I've been a member since 1973)

Are you or anyone still wanting a WERKS CORRAL PASS?

MY WERKS CORRAL PASS IS AVAILABLE TO WHOMEVER WANTS IT......

PLEASE PM ME ASAP SO I CAN SEND IT, HOPEFULLY TODAY!

Hope someone can use it and have a great time!

Cheers,
Margie
driving-girl.gif
914SIXXation
QUOTE(914SIXXation @ Aug 9 2021, 05:09 PM) *

QUOTE(PCH @ Jul 20 2021, 04:44 PM) *

[/color]CORRAL PASS AVAILABLE[/u] ![i][u]

DEAR 914 WORLD ENTHUSIASTS -

I have a WERKS REUNION CORRAL PASS that is AVAILABLE (Aug. 13). I had registered my 914-6 and am so disappointed that I can't attend, see all the 914s and share stories.!

I phoned PCA today to see if I could transfer it to another person (also letting them know it will go ONLY TO A 914 to be displayed, unless no one expresses interest.)

PCA National contacted Tom Pervasi and he said I could transfer it to someone else. (They don't even have to be a member of PCA. -- I've been a member since 1973)

Are you or anyone still wanting a WERKS CORRAL PASS?

MY WERKS CORRAL PASS IS AVAILABLE TO WHOMEVER WANTS IT......

PLEASE PM ME ASAP SO I CAN SEND IT, HOPEFULLY TODAY!

Hope someone can use it and have a great time!

Cheers,
Margie
driving-girl.gif

GONE ---- CLAIMED BY "PCH" FROM SANTA BARBARA.....

HAVE FUN DISPLAYING YOUR BEAUTIFUL 914!

Cheers,
Margie
driving-girl.gif
infraredcalvin
Looks like I’ll be up for the day, will be with others (non Porsche guys), hoping to convince them of Werks….

It was a last minute wing, so we’ll be spectating the no tix events mostly….
JamesJ
Hello All,
I have a Corral Pass for sale for my purchase price of $65. I will be attending as a guest to the event instead of a participant because…
I had the windshield pulled this morning for a new replacement. The body shop that had painted the car(under previous ownership) painted over the clips instead of removing them as they are supposed to do, and when one of the clips was removed it took with it paint off my cowl. I only mention it so that if you ever have your car painted with the windshield in place, be sure that you have the clips removed prior to paint work.
There is not enough time to mail my pass but I can meet you at the event. I won’t be there super early, but PM me if interested.
Cairo94507
Hi everyone. Well Werks Reunion was a terrific event. 700 Porsches in attendance, 200 entered to be judged. Bayonet Golf Course in Seaside, CA was a great venue. Tons of open space and plenty of room for everyone. There were thousands of people walking around looking at all of the different Porsches. I personally liked this venue as it is only 110 miles from home so an easy drive.

This year the 914 was the featured car so we were all right in front of the stage. Also in the Coral parking, the 914 had the front row.

My brother and I got there pretty early, like 0630 and were able to drive right in and were directed to our parking spot by a volunteer worker. The morning was still damp and misty. We let the car sit for at least an hour, maybe longer, before giving it a quick once over. Then I sort of lost track of time as the cars began pouring in and filling out the fields. Cars were all over and like i said, nicely spread out.

People were all amazing. I spent the day talking with so many people who loved the 914 generally and some even liked my car. I spoke with a woman who came from Michigan who owns 3 original 914-6's. A '70, '71 and '72. She only had one of her cars on her phone and it was a light blue metallic GT look car and it was nice. I was amazed she came all the way from Michigan! I talked about 914World.com and she said they are not really into computers!

I met with several of our club members, Jim, James, Chris, Enrique and a few others. The most fun was talking with them.

James Patrick of Patrick Motorsports was there with 3 of his stunning cars, 2 911's and 1 914-6 clone they had just completed and it was beautiful. James and 2 of his employees all looked at my car during the day at various times. They all loved it and thought the build quality and look of the car was great. I appreciated that James spent about 30 minutes talking with me about my car.

I had several shop owners stop and talk at length with my brother and I and one of them said it was cars like mine that made people cry (I hope in a good way).

Of course I gave credit for my car where credit was due. Kent Simmons of Auto Art Customs, Torrance, CA, James Geer, Bob Fulton and Andy Thonet. Without this crew, especially Kent, my car would have never happened. People could not get over the metal and paint work. I heard many times that of all the cars there, they felt my metal and paint work was the best of the show. Wow- there were a whole lot of seriously high-end builds present.

When the 3 judges showed up they looked over my car with a critical eye and noticed several of the not so obvious details that sets the car apart, in my opinion. They all thanked me for bring my car and thought it was a beautiful example of a 914-6 and looked better than when they left the factory.

I was lucky and was awarded 1st Place in the 914/914-6 class. I got a nice blue ribbon and award to commemorate the event. I was very happy. Lastly, I have the thank my identical twin brother and best friend, Bob, for going through this whole journey with me. Without his support I may not have made it to the finish.

Enjoy the pictures.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
Steve
That is awesome!! Congrats on the win. You deserve it after that horrific Journey!
Long_ago
Yes, well earned. Congrats .
HB
tygaboy
@Cairo94507 Michael - SO COOL! First place with SERIOUS competition proves what those of us who've seen your car already knew: It's a winner! smilie_pokal.gif
I'm thrilled for you, my friend. Big congrats.
914_7T3
Congratulations Michael!!! Well deserved!

first.gif
914sgofast2
I was there and saw lots of open spaces for more 914s and other cars. I don’t know why they said it was sold out. Getting into the venue was a true CF. Had to drive in using construction access driveways covered in redwood bark, and then drive through dirt sreas several inches deep in dust. When we got to our display area in the vorral, our wheels and entire car had a layer of fine brown dust all over them.
Cairo94507
I did see some open spaces where more cars could have entered and parked. I don't know what happened. Maybe people bailed at the past minute due to health concerns. I was aware of that but I thought the crowd was well behaved.

I would agree with the entry accommodations. That soft dirt was problematic for all of us. I crawled through it and was fortunate not to have anyone in front of me when I entered and enough space in front of me when left that I only got a little dust on my car. Soon as I got on the highway that blew off. But some astroturf or carpeting on the entry/exit paths would have been much nicer. beerchug.gif
ndfrigi
Congratulations Michael! well deserved and worth all the challenges on this build!
Coondog
Congrats, 1st place……. first.gif first.gif first.gif first.gif first.gif
Cairo94507
Thanks guys. beerchug.gif
SKL1
Great job with the six!

Wish I could have made that but could only go for a quick one day on Saturday as a friend was flying over from PHX just for the day and had room!
Only had one day to try and pack as much in as we could so we could only spend a couple hours at the track but it was time well spent! Having raced in the midwest (with Road America our "home track") it was my first time at Laguna Seca so we had to hike up to the corkscrew and watched the vintage F1 cars there. To see and hear Niki's flat 12 Ferrari, along with the many Cosworth cars was needless to say awesome. And to see Rufus, George Follmer just by chance... tried to find Zac Brown in the paddock but was unsuccessful.
A friend from Scottsdale had a '74 RSR entered, and he had Patrick Long driving it... too much to cram in but we had to make it to Pebble Peach to catch some of Concours Site. Wanted to crash the Aston stage but the security guards didn't look like they had a sense of humour so could only see the Valyrie from a distance... but saw more 917's in one place than I'd ever thought possible. Loved the Marko/Lennep car that looked like it hadn't been touched for 50 years. And to see the same car I saw Jo Siffert (one of my two favourites of all time) race at the Road America Can Am...
QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Aug 15 2021, 08:07 AM) *

Hi everyone. Well Werks Reunion was a terrific event. 700 Porsches in attendance, 200 entered to be judged. Bayonet Golf Course in Seaside, CA was a great venue. Tons of open space and plenty of room for everyone. There were thousands of people walking around looking at all of the different Porsches. I personally liked this venue as it is only 110 miles from home so an easy drive.

This year the 914 was the featured car so we were all right in front of the stage. Also in the Coral parking, the 914 had the front row.

My brother and I got there pretty early, like 0630 and were able to drive right in and were directed to our parking spot by a volunteer worker. The morning was still damp and misty. We let the car sit for at least an hour, maybe longer, before giving it a quick once over. Then I sort of lost track of time as the cars began pouring in and filling out the fields. Cars were all over and like i said, nicely spread out.

People were all amazing. I spent the day talking with so many people who loved the 914 generally and some even liked my car. I spoke with a woman who came from Michigan who owns 3 original 914-6's. A '70, '71 and '72. She only had one of her cars on her phone and it was a light blue metallic GT look car and it was nice. I was amazed she came all the way from Michigan! I talked about 914World.com and she said they are not really into computers!

I met with several of our club members, Jim, James, Chris, Enrique and a few others. The most fun was talking with them.

James Patrick of Patrick Motorsports was there with 3 of his stunning cars, 2 911's and 1 914-6 clone they had just completed and it was beautiful. James and 2 of his employees all looked at my car during the day at various times. They all loved it and thought the build quality and look of the car was great. I appreciated that James spent about 30 minutes talking with me about my car.

I had several shop owners stop and talk at length with my brother and I and one of them said it was cars like mine that made people cry (I hope in a good way).

Of course I gave credit for my car where credit was due. Kent Simmons of Auto Art Customs, Torrance, CA, James Geer, Bob Fulton and Andy Thonet. Without this crew, especially Kent, my car would have never happened. People could not get over the metal and paint work. I heard many times that of all the cars there, they felt my metal and paint work was the best of the show. Wow- there were a whole lot of seriously high-end builds present.

When the 3 judges showed up they looked over my car with a critical eye and noticed several of the not so obvious details that sets the car apart, in my opinion. They all thanked me for bring my car and thought it was a beautiful example of a 914-6 and looked better than when they left the factory.

I was lucky and was awarded 1st Place in the 914/914-6 class. I got a nice blue ribbon and award to commemorate the event. I was very happy. Lastly, I have the thank my identical twin brother and best friend, Bob, for going through this whole journey with me. Without his support I may not have made it to the finish.

Enjoy the pictures.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

CONGRATULATIONS MICHAEL!

And your "Justice Team" - Kent Simmons of Auto Art Customs, Torrance, CA, James Geer, Bob Fulton and Andy Thonet.

Looks like all of your "teamwork" resulted in an absolutely beautiful blue ribbon winning 914!

(Andy and Kent have done some awesome work on two of our Porsches)

Thanks so much for sharing your story and pictures. I really wanted to come but last minute couldn't make it. I was so glad that Peter Hartman from Santa Barbara could use my Corral Pass.

The pictures are super and I'm sure greatly appreciated by all!

Hope to see everyone at West Coast Ramble in October!

Cheers,
Margie & Paul
driving-girl.gif cool_shades.gif

AZBanks
Congrats Michael. Very well deserved. It is the prefect exclamation point to the end of a a long story we have enjoyed watching.
DRPHIL914
QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Aug 15 2021, 01:48 PM) *

I did see some open spaces where more cars could have entered and parked. I don't know what happened. Maybe people bailed at the past minute due to health concerns. I was aware of that but I thought the crowd was well behaved.

I would agree with the entry accommodations. That soft dirt was problematic for all of us. I crawled through it and was fortunate not to have anyone in front of me when I entered and enough space in front of me when left that I only got a little dust on my car. Soon as I got on the highway that blew off. But some astroturf or carpeting on the entry/exit paths would have been much nicer. beerchug.gif

Congratulations Michael!! Looks like you were in good company there with some other super nice 914's! I didnt see any other pictures, did they also present you with a trophy? I think the best part is visiting with people and answering questions or hearing their 914 stories too. Werks2021 Amelia Island had 300 cars judged, i wonder why they didint allow more, it seemed they had room there and interest as well. . Glad you had good weather and that that virus didnt slow you down!!!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.