Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Shift Rod Bushing
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
bobforman
How much play (or slop), if any, should there be between the bulkhead shift rod bushing and the rod itself? I should mention mine's a 74.
windforfun
QUOTE(bobforman @ Jul 7 2021, 08:32 AM) *

How much play (or slop), if any, should there be between the bulkhead shift rod bushing and the rod itself?

Next to none. I replaced mine about a month ago. I simply cut the wall of the new bushing at 45 degrees & then slipped it over the rod. Pushing it into the firewall took some effort & the resulting play or slop was negligible.
dr914@autoatlanta.com
totally agree, sometimes people install a late (73-76) shift linkage in their 70-72 models and use the original sized bushing which is not small enough in the middle for the late smaller shift tunnel bar. In that case, a conversion bushing must be installed the outer ID that of the early bushing, the inner id that of the late firewall bushing

QUOTE(windforfun @ Jul 7 2021, 09:38 AM) *

QUOTE(bobforman @ Jul 7 2021, 08:32 AM) *

How much play (or slop), if any, should there be between the bulkhead shift rod bushing and the rod itself?

Next to none. I replaced mine about a month ago. I simply cut the wall of the new bushing at 45 degrees & then slipped it over the rod. Pushing it into the firewall took some effort & the resulting play or slop was negligible.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.