Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Chrome bumper restoration
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
david63
Looking at restoring both the front and rear chrome bumpers on a 73 914. Understand it is not cheap to have good chrome plating done.

Bumpers will need a little straightening and I want the holes where the bumper guards were bolted to welded shut (front bumper is off of a 74). Then strip and re-chrome. Not trying to win a car show but want a good job.

Live in the Denver area and wondering what folks are paying to have this level of work done? I am realistic and wont be surprised if it is pretty expensive.

I don’t see anyone in the Denver area that does this or at least nothing popped up on the google search…. A couple of shops showed up with no reviews, etc. Other places did not do automotive work anymore.

Don’t laugh but I have requested a quote from Ogden Chrome (they do the work for Kindig in Salt Lake City). I imagine they will be VERY expensive but I thought I would see what the quote is just for giggles.

Any help with what to expect and who you all have used and been happy with will be appreciated.
ValcoOscar
Good chrome shops are hard to find.

My source is very reasonable but takes about 4 weeks to process after I weld up holes and bead blast.

Roughly, you're looking at $1,000 for both plus $80.00 return shipping

I've processed over 120 bumpers in the last two years

Oscar

Click to view attachment
JOEPROPER
wub.gif Wow, those are nice!!!
dr914@autoatlanta.com
nestor at the bumper shop does a good job for a very reasonable price

QUOTE(david63 @ Jul 8 2021, 01:56 PM) *

Looking at restoring both the front and rear chrome bumpers on a 73 914. Understand it is not cheap to have good chrome plating done.

Bumpers will need a little straightening and I want the holes where the bumper guards were bolted to welded shut (front bumper is off of a 74). Then strip and re-chrome. Not trying to win a car show but want a good job.

Live in the Denver area and wondering what folks are paying to have this level of work done? I am realistic and wont be surprised if it is pretty expensive.

I don’t see anyone in the Denver area that does this or at least nothing popped up on the google search…. A couple of shops showed up with no reviews, etc. Other places did not do automotive work anymore.

Don’t laugh but I have requested a quote from Ogden Chrome (they do the work for Kindig in Salt Lake City). I imagine they will be VERY expensive but I thought I would see what the quote is just for giggles.

Any help with what to expect and who you all have used and been happy with will be appreciated.

mepstein
Oscar has had a LOT of experience getting this done.
Cairo94507
I am sure you already know this, but $1K for both bumpers is a heck of a great price. I have buyers chromed by Oscar on my car and they look great. If you really just wanted to burn money, Ogden Chrome in Utah. beerchug.gif
914Sixer
Just had 2 bumpers done, waited 2 1/2 months $1K and $90 shipping . I had them done in Ft Worth. Going to plug holes with plugs or chrome bumper bolts. Seems that welding holes shut can be problematic so I was told
david63
Appreciate the information. Will be reaching out to a couple of folks to ask for a few details.

Obviously I was planning on taking off the rubber tops and front bumper guards, rear license plate lights, associated license plate brackets, etc. I can see about getting them bead blasted to remove the chrome.

Need some guidance about the issue around welding up the bumper guard holes? They are just steel bumpers right? Is there an issue with the filler material not taking the chrome the same as the steel bumper? Also I am not a great body worker. My bumpers are not in bad shape by any means just a couple of small dents here and there….

Will the folks that you have used do the body work and fill in the holes (yes it will cost more money for labor, etc.)?

Thanks again.
jims914
Hello,
Just picked up front and rear bumpers from Royal Plating L.L.C. in Tucson and they turned out outstanding. It was a 8 week turnaround. $800.00
bobboinski
I'm a happy customer of @ValcoOscar . He fixed the dents in my 1971 front bumper and had it rechromed. One dent was pretty big. I bet he could fill in the holes also. Looks perfect now. I wouldn't hesitate to use him again. In fact I wouldn't use anyone else.
brant
Yes fillers will not receive chrome or metal plaiting

They have to be body-worked in all metal that conducts electricity
I’m local and would also love be to have a set chromed
Wish I had joined some of the Oscar groups
david63
Again, appreciate the guidance. I apologize for not being clear…. I understand that body filler won’t accept plating. I was curious if the welding rod material had to be something special so it would accept the plating?

It looks like the way to go is to work with Oscar to see if he can help me out. Especially if he can do the bodywork and filling in the holes.

WIll keep you posted.

Thanks,
bkrantz
Royal Plating in Tucson charged me $1025 for both bumpers, including welding the bumperette holes in the front bumper. Since I visit my kids in Tucson often, I was able to deliver in person.
david63
Those turned out very nice. They did a great job and the price seems fair considering the work they did to weld up the holes, etc.

I am looking at shipping them to whoever I end up going with…. That scares me also. It would be a nightmare to have pristine bumpers damaged in shipping…. Always something huh?

Thanks again.
Rob-O
How are these things getting shipped??
mepstein
QUOTE(Rob-O @ Jul 8 2021, 10:59 PM) *

How are these things getting shipped??

I go to a ski shop, get two snowboard boxes. Wrap the bumper with bubble wrap and telescope the boxes together. It's worked so far. I sent a really nice early chrome one to a six owner in a really heavily built cardboard box that I got from my old Porsche shop. It fit great and had room for a lot of padding. Unfortunately, fed ex doesn't sell a box to fit so you have to ask around.
wes
Can’t go wrong with Oscar, I’m extremely happy with his Magic!Click to view attachment
As to shipping the bumper to be chromed I found shipping it unwrapped or unboxed is least expensive.
mepstein
QUOTE(wes @ Jul 9 2021, 12:16 PM) *

Can’t go wrong with Oscar, I’m extremely happy with his Magic!Click to view attachment
As to shipping the bumper to be chromed I found shipping it unwrapped or unboxed is least expensive.

Could you explain? Thanks
@wes
wes
QUOTE(mepstein @ Jul 9 2021, 09:44 AM) *

QUOTE(wes @ Jul 9 2021, 12:16 PM) *

Could you explain? Thanks
@wes

When I shipped my bumper to Oscar with FDX I was told by the guy at the counter the shipping charge would be less unboxed. Of course returning a newly Re-chromed, bubble wrapped and boxed.
mb911
I have done them a few ways. Cores really just need cardboard wrapped around. It works very well. And just because these are my bumpers done by OscarClick to view attachment
david63
Bumping this thread to say that Oscar did my bumpers and although the front was a bit rough he did a great job. Did not attach any pics but if you look at other examples on this thread from him mine turned out just as good.

He did a very good job packing them up for the trip back to me as well.

Overall I am very happy with the work and would highly recommend him if you are wanting bumpers chromed.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.