Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: It tried to "eat" the fan belt
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
SKL1
Was timing my '71 yesterday and everything seemed fine until I was going to take it for a short drive, and when revving it, it just sounded funny and fan definitely sounded different. Shut it off and when checking the fan, by feel obviously, it was totally twisted on the alternator pulley.

Been doing this for 51 years and never had that happen before. Used a new belt and thought tension was ok. Belt from pelican so should be the right part and length seemed fine when adjusting tension...

???
wndsrfr
QUOTE(SKL1 @ Jul 9 2021, 09:07 AM) *

Was timing my '71 yesterday and everything seemed fine until I was going to take it for a short drive, and when revving it, it just sounded funny and fan definitely sounded different. Shut it off and when checking the fan, by feel obviously, it was totally twisted on the alternator pulley.

Been doing this for 51 years and never had that happen before. Used a new belt and thought tension was ok. Belt from pelican so should be the right part and length seemed fine when adjusting tension...

???

Something is off in the alignment of the alternator...carefully check the bracket bolt at the back end of the alternator... if it's loose it'll allow it to twist....might need another new belt after this one is abused...
r_towle
Get a mirror and flashlight.
Make sure a rag or tool did not fall into the area the fan is located.
A rag can take the fan belt clean off...only takes a second.

Rich
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.