Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Type 4 engine on bug transmission?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
PatrickB
I've got a bug guy asking and I can't answer the question, will it bolt up?

Thanks
914sgofast2
Yes. There are lots of Bugs powered by Type 4 engines; that’s why people do upright cooling conversions to Type 4’s. Gene Berg and Jack Ruby used to sell kits at one time.
Mark Henry
Yes and IIRC the 914 clutch bolts up, if not you can buy a conversion 200mm flywheel from AA Performance.

QUOTE(914sgofast2 @ Jul 11 2021, 09:53 AM) *

Yes. There are lots of Bugs powered by Type 4 engines; that’s why people do upright cooling conversions to Type 4’s. Gene Berg and Jack Ruby used to sell kits at one time.

Gene Berg never did anything type 4 related.

...and Jack Ruby shot Lee Harvey Oswald. wink.gif
PatrickB
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Jul 11 2021, 10:52 AM) *

Yes and IIRC the 914 clutch bolts up, if not you can buy a conversion 200mm flywheel from AA Performance.

biggrin.gif
Thanks everyone, that's what I thought but wasn't sure. He wants my stuck 1.7 if he can bolt it to the bug trans. Not the way I'd go but that's up to him.
porschetub
QUOTE(PatrickB @ Jul 12 2021, 03:32 AM) *

biggrin.gif
Thanks everyone, that's what I thought but wasn't sure. He wants my stuck 1.7 if he can bolt it to the bug trans. Not the way I'd go but that's up to him.

You need to bore the T4 flywheel out and press in a pilot bearing as the VW box has a shorter input shaft,my repop speedster had a swingaxle box so I had to modify to later IRS box type thrust bearing setup for T4 pressure plate.
Mine was a late swing axle box from a 69 1500 so I retained the factory "Z" bar by mounting that to my box section steel subframe,made the drop links adjustable and it worked really well to combat the dreaded wheel tuck.
So no its not plug and play but the mods are pretty easy to do.
Mark Henry
QUOTE(porschetub @ Jul 11 2021, 06:50 PM) *

QUOTE(PatrickB @ Jul 12 2021, 03:32 AM) *

biggrin.gif

You need to bore the T4 flywheel out and press in a pilot bearing as the VW box has a shorter input shaft,my repop speedster had a swingaxle box so I had to modify to later IRS box type thrust bearing setup for T4 pressure plate.
Mine was a late swing axle box from a 69 1500 so I retained the factory "Z" bar by mounting that to my box section steel subframe,made the drop links adjustable and it worked really well to combat the dreaded wheel tuck.
So no its not plug and play but the mods are pretty easy to do.

That's why I said the 914 flywheel might be good to go, as its pilot bearing presses into the flywheel. You are correct on the bus flywheel they have to be machined for the pilot bearing.
But now days I'd just get the 200mm adapter flywheel from AA, it is plug and play and will accept a T1 KEP pressure plate.
Al Meredith
I got a flywheel, PP and clutch kit from the Type 4 store (LN Engineering)
IronHillRestorations
You can modify the '75/76 exhaust stub pipes pretty easily for a type 4 in a Bug, and they usually sell for around $75, or less
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.