Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Tips for prepping bumper for paint
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
rjames
Finally getting around to prepping for a bumper backdate.

I've got front and rear bumpers in very good condition. Planning on painting with black Sem bumper paint spray can) that has been recommended in many a thread here.

There are a couple very small areas that had some pitting that I'll use filler on, but my main question is do I need to remove all of the old paint first or do I use the filler to level the bare metal with the painted surface.
Click to view attachment
IronHillRestorations
For best results strip it down to bare metal. If you use epoxy primer, with proper prep, you can apply filler on top of it
914Sixer
Take it to someone that does blasting. Takes forever to clean paint off bumper. Let them do the dirty work, worth the money and your time.
rjames
Good info. Thanks.

How many cans of spray paint does it take to paint 2 bumpers and how many coats?
RiqueMar
QUOTE(rjames @ Jul 12 2021, 09:26 AM) *

Good info. Thanks.

How many cans of spray paint does it take to paint 2 bumpers and how many coats?

I always err on the side side of caution, and would plan on a minimum of 2-cans per bumper.

SEM is a great product, recommend also using their adhesion promoter. Good luck!
rjames
QUOTE(RiqueMar @ Jul 14 2021, 09:33 AM) *

QUOTE(rjames @ Jul 12 2021, 09:26 AM) *

Good info. Thanks.

I always err on the side side of caution, and would plan on a minimum of 2-cans per bumper.

SEM is a great product, recommend also using their adhesion promoter. Good luck!

@RiqueMar Great, thanks!
Olympic 914
Another vote for the SEM trim black.

They also sell it in Quarts.

I prefer to use a regular spray gun to their spray cans. Its pretty thin so you would want to use a smaller tip. 1.3 ~ 1.4

I used epoxy primer under it.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.