Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Turn signal troubleshooting
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
campbellcj
Hey everyone - I have a problem I've been meaning to get resolved for some time but I'm not sure where things went wrong. Once I reinstalled the lights in my car after they had been out for several years of dedicated track use, the turn signals aren't working right; however, the puzzling part is the hazards blink fine, parking lights work, and the lever-actuated 'park mode' also works on both sides. This leads me to believe I pretty much connected things right and the stalk switch seems OK too, but obviously I went astray somewhere.

It's been a while but IIRC I did already try swapping in a different flasher relay to no avail. Also FWIW the stalk switch and dash wiring had not been removed/reinstalled, only the actual lamps up-front and their fuses. So the interior wiring should be basically unmolested (by me at least).

This car is painful to work inside due to full rollcage and immovable seats. If any of you has seen this specific fault before I would massively appreciate a tip before I start poking around at every single wire (again)! Thanks!
914-Kazoo
QUOTE(campbellcj @ Jul 11 2021, 03:38 PM) *

Hey everyone - I have a problem I've been meaning to get resolved for some time but I'm not sure where things went wrong. Once I reinstalled the lights in my car after they had been out for several years of dedicated track use, the turn signals aren't working right; however, the puzzling part is the hazards blink fine, parking lights work, and the lever-actuated 'park mode' also works on both sides. This leads me to believe I pretty much connected things right and the stalk switch seems OK too, but obviously I went astray somewhere.

It's been a while but IIRC I did already try swapping in a different flasher relay to no avail. Also FWIW the stalk switch and dash wiring had not been removed/reinstalled, only the actual lamps up-front and their fuses. So the interior wiring should be basically unmolested (by me at least).

This car is painful to work inside due to full rollcage and immovable seats. If any of you has seen this specific fault before I would massively appreciate a tip before I start poking around at every single wire (again)! Thanks!

Try pulling the bulbs and bending out the contacts in the sockets. Worked for me
campbellcj
Thank you! I plan to put some time into this later today and/or next few days. Also going to put the horns back in which should be simple, hopefully.
bbrock
Also, make sure your grounds are all good. After finishing my bare metal resto, I had a strange problem with the right front turn signal. Turned out that the signal bucket bracket was not piercing through the bedliner I sprayed for undercoating so that bucket was not properly grounded. Instead, it was grounding through the other turn signal bulb cause weird light behavior. Once I tightened the bracket enough to make good contact with the chassis metal, everything worked perfectly.

Not saying that is your problem, just pointing out one of those weird things that can be hard to track down.
mlindner
Chris my 914 was apart for 25 years, everything worked fine when taken off the street. Then this last year putting it all back together I had many electrical problem. But the last was like yours, ended up just replacing the direction assembly in the steering wheel stalk, very easy. All good. Best, Mark
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.