Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What suspension and brake parts fit a 71 and 74?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
overmyhead
I bought 2 disassembled 914s from the same guy. One a 1971 1.7 and a 1974 2.0. Unfortunately they are all jumbled together.

For instance I see one front end has a stabilizer bar and the other doesn't.

What else is different, brake cylinders? Steering components ?

Many thanks!
jcd914
welcome.png

The 71 frt struts, ball joints, brake rotors & brake calipers are all different from the 74.
The frt control arms are interchangeable, later arm will have the brackets for sway bar links. Rear calipers are different as well, late have dual bleeders and early single bleeders but the calipers are interchangeable.

I think the rubber brake hose are also different between 71 & 74 but it depends on which frt struts and which rear trailing arms are used.

I have a 72 with later rear trailing arms and the hoses I ordered don't fit the bracket on the trailing arm. They function but are not secured to rear trailing arms as they should be. I'm in the middle of converting to 5 lug suspension and will replace the hoses as part of that.

Jim
9146C
The issue you'll run into is with the front brakes primarily.

In 1972, the front struts were changed.

The offset for the front calipers/mounts, rotors etc are not interchangeable between early and late models.
davep
The easiest way to separate is to grab all of the single bleeder calipers, the A-arms without sway bar, and the struts that are split where the ball joint is fitted to the strut, and there is a bolt & nut pinning the split closed. Front brake rotors should not have a ring to center the wheel. This is the 72 and earlier.

The 1974 will have dual bleed nipples on all calipers, the A-arms with sway bar, and the struts that are not split where the ball joint is fitted to the strut, and there is a (wedge) pin & nut securing the ball joint. Front rotors will have a ring outside of the bearing cap and the ring should snugly fit the center of a wheel.
bdstone914
Look at the bottom of the front struts to ID eay from late. Early will have a slit fot the pinch bolt. While the A arms are interchangable the ball joints that ate probably attached to them are not. The late ball joints have a B notch for the taper pin. The early have a radiused cut. Late front calipers have two bleeders. Early have one. Late front rotors have a hub centric ring near the center, early do not. Early rear trailing arms have a clised hole for the flex line. Late have an open slot and hole.
overmyhead
Thanks guys.

I think I can sort out the 74 parts from the 71 now.

Turns out I have 3 sets of trailing arms just to make it more interesting.

Also, I have a set of Porsche Fuch rims off my 85 911.

I am sure this has been covered hundreds of times on this forum but I haven't had time to research converting from 4 lug wheels to 5.

Is it just ordering the new Brake discs with 5 lugs or more involved? Will the lug spacing match the Porsche rims?

Thanks again

Shivers
It is pretty much all in here. Welcome

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=105728
davep
QUOTE(overmyhead @ Jul 19 2021, 01:13 PM) *
I am sure this has been covered hundreds of times on this forum but I haven't had time to research converting from 4 lug wheels to 5.

Is it just ordering the new Brake discs with 5 lugs or more involved? Will the lug spacing match the Porsche rims?

If you are talking about having a 914/6 suspension, they I can tell you that very few parts are the same. At the front, the A-arms, struts, calipers and rotors are 911, not 914/4; or at least you can drop in a 911 front suspension easily, but there are minor differences in the shocks and torsion bars if you go by part #'s. In the rear the axles, stub axles, hubs rotors and calipers are all unique to the 914/6. You can fudge things up to make it work but you need to pay attention to detail; a lot depends on what components you convert or replace. The factory did not make it easy with all of the unique parts that the 914/6 used.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.