Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: "BrakeforIt" Hated it.
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Jonathan Livesay
Porsche 914
The 914 has gone down in history as one of the worst vehicles ever made by the German automaker. This budget-friendly mid-engine sports car was developed by Porsche and Volkswagen to serve as the entry-level Porsche. It went on sale in 1969 and was discontinued just 7 years later.

Despite its quirky exterior design and a Targa roof, the 914 failed to sell. The sports car was awfully underpowered, its boxer engine barely made 100 horsepower! While the 914 was agile at tight turns, its terrible acceleration was far from appealing.

The 914 has gone down in history as one of the worst vehicles ever made by the German automaker. This budget-friendly mid-engine sports car was developed by Porsche and Volkswagen to serve as the entry-level Porsche. It went on sale in 1969 and was discontinued just 7 years later.

Despite its quirky exterior design and a Targa roof, the 914 failed to sell. The sports car was awfully underpowered, its boxer engine barely made 100 horsepower! While the 914 was agile at tight turns, its terrible acceleration was far from appealing.

https://www.brakeforit.com/performance/wors...orts-cars-ever/? hissyfit.gif
utm_source=fz&utm_campaign=23848191066540660-23848191066740660-fz&utm_medium=18%2B-fz&utm_content=23848191066850660-fz&utm_term=blank&fbclid=IwAR2LeIE5nYn5IxdYK7-i9YTDvYN3ehaqJo12FyqW-gjehinIdBnZ6_z4kyo&chrome=1&D2c=1&A1c=1
mb911
Lol whatever.. I could argue it is one of the finest. Click to view attachment
wonkipop
lists like this help keep the unimaginative away from some good cars.

if only morons who compile stuff like that could make a ferrari dino cheap.

i'll give you a dog sports-car not on their list.
ford capri made in australia, late 80s early 90s.
better known to americans as the mercury capri.
even hairdressers ran away from it.

and i like fords - usually.
930cabman
QUOTE(mb911 @ Jul 13 2021, 05:55 PM) *

Sweet ride Ben.

One could argue the fact our lowly 914 finished sixth behind a couple 917's and 512's in the 24 hours of Lemans. Ahead of several 911 models.

Can't wait to get our project rolling
NARP74
You've been hacked!
Jonathan Livesay
QUOTE(mb911 @ Jul 13 2021, 04:55 PM) *

There is a lot to disagree with in that article.
rick 918-S
I bet any number of us could take that author for a twisty ride that would make his butt hole bite the seat cushion. yikes.gif driving.gif He obviously does not know how to drive a 98hp sport car. It is not just a matter of jumping in the left side and rowing the shifter.
Maltese Falcon
QUOTE(930cabman @ Jul 13 2021, 05:05 PM) *

Sweet ride Ben.

One could argue the fact our lowly 914 finished sixth behind a couple 917's and 512's in the 24 hours of Lemans. Ahead of several 911 models.

...probably could argue the Lemans point with an intelligent person; "Brakeforit" would wonder why you are bringing up a natural childbirth procedure lol-2.gif
IronHillRestorations
C'mon guys, it's clickbait. If some blogger wants to get an extra 10,000 hits, all they have to do is bash on the 914 biggrin.gif
914Sixer
Can't fix stupid! Just look at the market for them now av-943.gif
914_teener
agree.gif

Not to concerned about some "author" in behind some keyboard who still has milk on his lips.

Probably doesn't even know how to drive a manual transmission.

Don't do Facebook and aint clicking on it.

worn
QUOTE(930cabman @ Jul 13 2021, 04:05 PM) *

Sweet ride Ben.

Gonna leave the quotes for sentiment and beauty. Thing is:
I cannot find a car as fun to drive as my 914. And they have had 50 years in which to try. Simple. Good ergonomics. Connected to the road. With a six it has just the right amount of power, because it isn’t really about power.
roblav1
Ahh, the beauty of "news" on the internet today! Wouldn't surprise me if the author is one of those fact checkers.
bbrock
QUOTE(worn @ Jul 13 2021, 07:47 PM) *

I cannot find a car as fun to drive as my 914. And they have had 50 years in which to try. Simple. Good ergonomics. Connected to the road. With a six it has just the right amount of power, because it isn’t really about power.

A couple days ago a guy complimented my car in a parking lot and claimed he used to have one. Then he asked "how fast will it go?" That made me question his claim of owning one. I just said, "not that fast." Then he said the Toyota Camry he was driving could do 180. I just smiled while thinking, whoop-ti-do. Some people don't get these cars and I guess that is part of the appeal.
bkrantz
QUOTE(bbrock @ Jul 13 2021, 10:35 PM) *

A couple days ago a guy complimented my car in a parking lot and claimed he used to have one. Then he asked "how fast will it go?" That made me question his claim of owning one. I just said, "not that fast." Then he said the Toyota Camry he was driving could do 180. I just smiled while thinking, whoop-ti-do. Some people don't get these cars and I guess that is part of the appeal.

I suspect his Camry could do 180 with a tall enough cliff involved. (Or if he modded a Camry to do 180 on pavement, I would question his sanity in other ways.)
Pursang
QUOTE(bkrantz @ Jul 13 2021, 09:45 PM) *

I suspect his Camry could do 180 with a tall enough cliff involved. (Or if he modded a Camry to do 180 on pavement, I would question his sanity in other ways.)

No, he probably just meant that his Camry can do a 180...as in u-turn. biggrin.gif
mgp4591
So apparently if we fix the power complaint, it's not an issue anymore...how many of us have already fixed that problem?! shades.gif
wonkipop
QUOTE(mgp4591 @ Jul 14 2021, 12:23 AM) *

So apparently if we fix the power complaint, it's not an issue anymore...how many of us have already fixed that problem?! shades.gif

speak for yourself smile.gif
i have no complaints about the 1.8.
the chassis. lightweight. underpowered proper post war porsche
you got to make it up in the corners beerchug.gif

if you wanted to sit any lower in a car you would have to buy a GT40?
930cabman
QUOTE(bbrock @ Jul 13 2021, 10:35 PM) *

Maybe more of us should look into the Toyota Camry!!

Thanks for the laugh
Cairo94507
And yet to me it is one of the best cars ever built for people who love driving. Go figure.... beerchug.gif
Carbon-14
Click to view attachment
sunglasses.gif
Mimics. dry.gif
Repetition of the same boilerplate news bites from the '60s.
A consensus of writers, motor journalists, go along characters, dissing.
' Quirky, ugly, different. '
as opposed to
' Futuristic, modern, cute. '
Opinions of petulant posers, pretentious pretenders produced the stuff, the hot air to be avoided, it whiffs of sour eggs.
The design brief was met economically, foreseeing the future fuel crisis and making the sportscar sensibly functional as a daily commuter.
biggrin.gif

Oh, yeah, won at Le Mans, first time out. biggrin.gif

' A lone Porsche 914/6 had run like a train and outpaced all the 911 coupes, and the privately entered 908 Spyder 3-litre was in command of the Handicap event, or Index of Performance. '
Motorsportmagazine, July, 1970
dry.gif
Shivers
I got to spend my youth and then some enjoying a mid-engine, 2000 pound, Porsche designed, volkswagon powered go-cart. This much fun should not be legal, but since it is, how did we get so lucky? Do I care what this fella says, no I pity him, he obviously has never driven one.
Justinp71
Haha... I had one of those v6 camaro's too. I got the 2.8l manual for like $750 from a friend though with like 60k miles on it. College car. Actually it was one of the funnest cars I've owned, handled really well with the light front end. I owned my 914 at the time but it was broken and didn't want to leave it unattended around a college campus either, so it made for a fun beater. It was really my first experience with a well handling car, as my 914 was kind of a project at the time. With a manual it felt faster than it really was, some of my friends thought it was fast until I raced something...lol. Later I moved on to the catfish camaro 3.8L manual that was a big upgrade, but those cars turn into junk overtime.
Mayne
The article is dubious at best, even beyond the comments about our beloved 914. The M1, Dino, and Miata all end up on the list of worst sports cars ever? Not to mention a whole host of other cars I’d probably own. I mean who can say no to a Mustang II???
Root_Werks
QUOTE(IronHillRestorations @ Jul 13 2021, 05:23 PM) *

C'mon guys, it's clickbait. If some blogger wants to get an extra 10,000 hits, all they have to do is bash on the 914 biggrin.gif

agree.gif

Not going to click on the link, sharing it only gives the person more hits, clickbait.
Pursang
QUOTE(wonkipop @ Jul 14 2021, 01:03 AM) *

QUOTE(mgp4591 @ Jul 14 2021, 12:23 AM) *

if you wanted to sit any lower in a car you would have to buy a GT40?

Last weekend I rode in a twin cam Lotus Europa. Talk about being a contortionist...and it was very low.
930cabman
QUOTE(Shivers @ Jul 14 2021, 07:48 AM) *

I got to spend my youth and then some enjoying a mid-engine, 2000 pound, Porsche designed, volkswagon powered go-cart. This much fun should not be legal, but since it is, how did we get so lucky? Do I care what this fella says, no I pity him, he obviously has never driven one.

True, some guys have all the luck, .....

The year was 1972, I was in the market for my first new car. It was a toss up between a 914 and a Squareback. The VW won, in Marina Blue if I recall. Now close to 70 years I finally have not 1, but 2. Must be an addictive personality
Maltese Falcon
QUOTE(Mayne @ Jul 14 2021, 07:04 AM) *

The article is dubious at best, even beyond the comments about our beloved 914. The M1, Dino, and Miata all end up on the list of worst sports cars ever? Not to mention a whole host of other cars I’d probably own. I mean who can say no to a Mustang II???

Dino 246 hovering at mid $400's to $500k (chairs + flares option)

M1's at approx $500k...and 54 pro cars homologated for I'ntl. race use / IMSA on these shores

Miata...Come on man ! leave the little guy alone; Mazdas can take a punishment and still carve canyons, on a cheap upgrade list !

This editor would be better off with his day job, boiler room announcer for; "Your auto warranty is about to expire...please press 1 for assistance " biggrin.gif
flmont
50 MPH is 50 MPH no matter what car your in but 50 in a 914 is the best !!
73-914
QUOTE(bbrock @ Jul 14 2021, 12:35 AM) *

He forgot to tell you it was a Canadian car , 180 km per hour .
KELTY360
Worst sports car ever?……Worst auto reviewer ever!

Probably drives a Yugo and thinks he’s finally made it big.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.