Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Bought a car with vin I’d issue
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
rosenfe
I recently bought a 914 advertised on this site. It’s from California as I am. Vin on drivers window corresponded to registration. I went and registered in my name no problems. Recent work indicated car was most likely a 70, vin in window suggest a 74. Vin in front trunk is different and most likely from 1970. What should i do. I have reached out to seller, no response so far.
Shivers
50 year old car, could be a frankenteener, where two or three become one. Is the firewall early or late? What does the drivers door frame sticker say? Is it there? There is a plate inside the trunk, on the passenger side light bucket. Is it there? So the number on the top of the passenger side wheelhouse is different than the A pillar plate?
rosenfe
Car is at shop. So far drivers window vin is different than trunk passenger light bucket side if. Haven’t checked fender.trunk fender early vin, drivers window later 74 vs 70 in trunk
sixnotfour
Id be less suprised if it was a 76 with a early vin swap..I own one ,, Have seen 2 others..Beats the emission cutoff..
rosenfe
How would I sell this car?
SirAndy
QUOTE(rosenfe @ Jul 13 2021, 08:11 PM) *

How would I sell this car?

With tons of pictures outlining the issue to any potential buyers ...
shades.gif
SirAndy
Also, if it is two cars welded together, there will be a noticeable seam somewhere.
idea.gif
Mikey914
Pics please. As long as the 70 wasn't hot you would be fine. Your probably stuck with whatever it was registered as as. Survivor car no, good daily daily driver that runs well will be worth more as it continues to age.

Just enjoy it unless there are further problems. It does suck that the seller wasn't transparent, but may be they were ignorant ??? You would have a better feel for that.

As long as the work was done well, may still be worth every penny you paid. Really depends on how you bought it.
Cairo94507
I agree with the above. These cars are 50 years old and some have had a few bumps necessitating body repair. Replacing a front corner section including the fender well was pretty common. Check the VIN you discovered to see if it was reported stolen. If not, it was likely an accident repair job. If that is the case, full disclosure goes a long way when/if you sell. Of course post pictures so we can hopefully identify what happened in the past. Regardless, enjoy driving the car.

I am sorry the PO did not disclose that information, assuming they were aware of course. beerchug.gif
rosenfe
Car was listed here in classified last month under Preston 22. It’s still viewable. Yellow 2.6
rosenfe
No response from Preston 22 re the vin issue.I tried to reach by phone
76-914
QUOTE(rosenfe @ Jul 14 2021, 07:42 AM) *

Car was listed here in classified last month under Preston 22. It’s still viewable. Yellow 2.6

Did you happen to notice the seller had "0" posts here? In my book that is a Red Flag! This isn't the 1st, nor will it probably be, the last time this happens. Maybe there could be a "minimum membership time or number of posts" required before allowing any "FS/WTB" ads? confused24.gif
mgarrison
From the pic of the Frunk, its an early frunk section - no curved support like on my '74. Here's the link to the pics from the seller:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/fg74qyvct4jryob/...21Req0558a?dl=0

Can't quite read the frunk VIN plate from the pic...
rosenfe
Yes body appears to be a 70. Ignition switch was defective, it was from a 70. Engine was rebuilt by a reputable builder. I’ve had stuff to sort through, but I think it will turn out to be a good car. Again ,this is a reminder to go see a potential car in person. I didnt
SirAndy
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=353948

The Ad says it's a '71 ...
confused24.gif

SirAndy
Post some pictures of the VIN plates.

It does look like the right front fender has been replaced. There's tons of goo/bondo around the seams that isn't original and they also used that to cover the VIN stamping on top of the fender.
idea.gif
Root_Werks
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Jul 14 2021, 08:35 AM) *

Zoinks, even with a 2.6, that 914 really needed a hands-on inspection before buying.

Others have said it, user with zero posts, sells a 914 and disappears.
MCShack
'71 didn't have adjustable passenger seat like this car. '72 was first year for those, but I don't see any air vents in the dashboard which started in 1972. This is a Frankenteener, possibly due to a major hit on the front end of the car.

I did see it has the VIN plate on headlight bucket but it looks like work has been done on that part of the car and repainted black. When enlarged it almost looks like it starts with 471. No stamped sticker visible on front passenger wheel well where work has been done either. There is a Karmann plate inside driver door jam but not readable. I do not see the date/VIN sticker on the rear driver door jam. Another clue would be number and location of the chassis number on rear trunk floor in front of passenger taillight assembly towards the lock mechanism. I see nothing particular to a 1974 or later model as suggested by the windshield VIN.
rosenfe
Thanks, car is at a shop now. Not sure how he got ca dmv to accept later vin?
mgarrison
Anyone seen anything like this before:
Click to view attachment

I've never seen, or maybe I just didn't notice a "battery wall" like that... confused24.gif
mb911
My car has something like this as well. It is titled with the correct VIN but the front right wheel well was replaced by the PO. I am thinking about fixing that somehow. Yet to decide but everything under the dash, trunk and the piller VIN are correct for my car.
bkrantz
Thick black paint or undercoating inside the frunk and trunk should be a major red flag. Ask me how I know.
rgalla9146
QUOTE(mgarrison @ Jul 14 2021, 01:52 PM) *

Anyone seen anything like this before:
Click to view attachment

I've never seen, or maybe I just didn't notice a "battery wall" like that... confused24.gif

Not exactly on topic....but every kind of Rube Goldberg battery support has already been seen....including the original which was not too brilliant
mepstein
QUOTE(bkrantz @ Jul 14 2021, 09:40 PM) *

Thick black paint or undercoating inside the frunk and trunk should be a major red flag. Ask me how I know.

Yes. That’s the usual giveaway that something has been done.
I talked to a guy at Hershey one year that used to have a jig for making two crash damaged 914’s into one. Not to deceive people but just to get cars back on the road. Of course 4 sellers later, the clipped information had probably been “forgotten”.

Most of my car purchases are low priced and worth the value of the car in parts but if I’m spending real money, I make the trip to see it.
davep
Herein lies the value of a PPI. The thing is that there is a large number of problems that an experienced evaluator can spot. Checking the numbers is very easy as a first step. Over the last 45 years I have come across dozens of cars with ID issues.
mepstein
QUOTE(davep @ Jul 15 2021, 10:36 AM) *

Herein lies the value of a PPI. The thing is that there is a large number of problems that an experienced evaluator can spot. Checking the numbers is very easy as a first step. Over the last 45 years I have come across dozens of cars with ID issues.

My GT car is a 70 body with a 74 vin. Done by a well known shop back in the 80’s.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.