Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: won eBay auction for 1970 914
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
siverson
https://www.ebay.com/itm/1970-Porsche-914-/...1-127632-2357-0

I was watching this auction and was a bit surprised it didnt go for more. A bit of an impulse buy but I won at the end. Yay me.

It 90% seems legit but there are some strange red flags and communication issues with the seller that make me concerned its a scam. If it is someone is going through a lot of work for a $500 deposit.

I had facetimed with the seller and saw the car and title, but that call also got abruptly cut off.

Anyways - I’ll keep everyone posted here. If it is legit and the car is as advertised I hope to do a minor refurbishment and drive it! powdercoat wheels, new 165 tires, new bushings/shocks/springs/struts/tierods, calipers, hoses, new dash, and whatever else pops up.

-Steve

siverson
ValcoOscar
Best of Luck Steve beerchug.gif

popcorn[1].gif idea.gif popcorn[1].gif idea.gif popcorn[1].gif idea.gif

Oscar
Cairo94507
Hi Steve - I wish you good luck too. A few red flags for my liking but that may be how you get a great car.

Cheers,
Michael
roblav1
An odd color for 1970. Seller doesn't write in English very well. Seems solid hope legit.
dr914@autoatlanta.com
the car is not really a deal, early 914s do not sell for as much as late ones. Seems like cobwebs underneath like it has not been driven for awhile. I would meet the guy in person. Worth the trip as you are both in the same state
76-914
QUOTE(siverson @ Jul 14 2021, 12:24 PM) *

I was watching this auction and was a bit surprised it didnt go for more. A bit of an impulse buy but I won at the end. Yay me.

It 90% seems legit but there are some strange red flags and communication issues with the seller that make me concerned its a scam. If it is someone is going through a lot of work for a $500 deposit.

I had facetimed with the seller and saw the car and title, but that call also got abruptly cut off.

Anyways - I’ll keep everyone posted here. If it is legit and the car is as advertised I hope to do a minor refurbishment and drive it! powdercoat wheels, new 165 tires, new bushings/shocks/springs/struts/tierods, calipers, hoses, new dash, and whatever else pops up.

-Steve

I hope so too Steve. Because a quick phone number check on Google lists the "For Sale" items too!

1974 PORSCHE 911S NO RESERVE MATCHING ENGINE ...http://classiccardb.com › Porsche
... every thing works great, original wheels, it's been in California all of its life, if you want any more information please call me at (714)616-0529, or you can face ...

1969 MUSTANG MACH 1 S CODE 390 MATCHING# ALL ...http://smclassiccars.com › Ford
This car is a everyday driver, original sheet metal, any more information please cal, (714)616-0529. I also have videos of the car running and driving, or you can ...

(1966) Hi We Our Selling Chevrolet Corvette - Carscomshttps://carscoms.com › 1966-chevrolet-corvette-54404
... or bank wire , or cash in person this car will be selling worldwide, please call me if you have any questions, (714)616-0529 thanks for looking , and good luck.

1974 Porsche 911 REAL S 301 VIN MATCHING # ENGINE ...http://davidsclassiccars.com › Porsche
... every thing works great, original wheels, it's been in California all of its life, if you want any more information please call me at(714)616-0529, or you can face ...

1966 Chevrolet Corvette NO RESERVE, original paint ...http://topclassiccarsforsale.com › chevrolet › 396880-1...
... (714)616-0529 thanks for lookin, and good luck. NO RESEVE This car will be going to the highest bidder,,. NO RESRVE . NO RESERVE NO RESERVE.
Unobtanium-inc
I agree, if you're worried about it, go pick up the car yourself, most people don't have that luxury. Also, if it's a scam, he won't want that, then there is your answer.
mrholland2
QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Jul 14 2021, 01:10 PM) *

the car is not really a deal, early 914s do not sell for as much as late ones. Seems like cobwebs underneath like it has not been driven for awhile. I would meet the guy in person. Worth the trip as you are both in the same state

San Diego to Pleasant Hill is quite a haul to drive. . . over 8 hours without any real traffic delays. (And you could drive another 4-5 hours before you even exited the state to the north. It's astonishing sometimes)
mrholland2
QUOTE(76-914 @ Jul 14 2021, 01:40 PM) *

QUOTE(siverson @ Jul 14 2021, 12:24 PM) *

-Steve

I hope so too Steve. Because a quick phone number check on Google lists the "For Sale" items too!

1974 PORSCHE 911S NO RESERVE MATCHING ENGINE ...http://classiccardb.com › Porsche
... every thing works great, original wheels, it's been in California all of its life, if you want any more information please call me at (714)616-0529, or you can face ...

1969 MUSTANG MACH 1 S CODE 390 MATCHING# ALL ...http://smclassiccars.com › Ford
This car is a everyday driver, original sheet metal, any more information please cal, (714)616-0529. I also have videos of the car running and driving, or you can ...

(1966) Hi We Our Selling Chevrolet Corvette - Carscomshttps://carscoms.com › 1966-chevrolet-corvette-54404
... or bank wire , or cash in person this car will be selling worldwide, please call me if you have any questions, (714)616-0529 thanks for looking , and good luck.

1974 Porsche 911 REAL S 301 VIN MATCHING # ENGINE ...http://davidsclassiccars.com › Porsche
... every thing works great, original wheels, it's been in California all of its life, if you want any more information please call me at(714)616-0529, or you can face ...

1966 Chevrolet Corvette NO RESERVE, original paint ...http://topclassiccarsforsale.com › chevrolet › 396880-1...
... (714)616-0529 thanks for lookin, and good luck. NO RESEVE This car will be going to the highest bidder,,. NO RESRVE . NO RESERVE NO RESERVE.

Reverse phone lookup does give that number as a Pleasant Hill number, which matches the location in Ebay. (For whatever that's worth?)
Cairo94507
@siverson - Hey I am only about 25 minutes south of Pleasant Hill. I will go check it out for you if you want.
Cheers,
Michael
930cabman
QUOTE(Unobtanium-inc @ Jul 14 2021, 02:53 PM) *

I agree, if you're worried about it, go pick up the car yourself, most people don't have that luxury. Also, if it's a scam, he won't want that, then there is your answer.

+1, if at all possible this is the safe bet. Bank check in hand.
JeffBowlsby
Pleasant Hill is in in NorCal, area code typically 925. 714 is a SoCal area code.
rjames
Looks like a respray on the outside?
Fingers crossed for you.
mrholland2
QUOTE(JeffBowlsby @ Jul 14 2021, 02:02 PM) *

Pleasant Hill is in in NorCal, area code typically 925. 714 is a SoCal area code.

https://www.whitepages.com/phone/1-714-616-0529

roblav1
Given info here, no way I'd send any money... at least until someone puts eyes on the car, eyes on the title, and that the person selling it actually owns it.
MCShack
There is a Pleasant Hill, CA near Oakland. The biggest red flag is they claim 'NO RUST' about a half dozen times in the ad. There is no engine bay lid/cover on the car or shown in any pictures or mentioned in the description. The paint inside trunk is very bright and looks newer, outside not so much, very, very sun faded if they were the same. And the floorboards paint looks faded as well. There are no mirrors inside or outside, and no holes showing where the outside review mirror would have been mounted. This car has not seen much driving for some time would be my guess by the looks.

"all original no rust everything works, 100% complete . No rust at all." says it all for me.
Cairo94507
Listen, I live about 25 minutes from Pleasant Hill, CA - I can go see it in person. It is either there or it isn't and then we have the definitive answer. beerchug.gif
forrestkhaag
If you don't take up michael on an in-person check prior to sending money, then I have some really high and dry acreage just west of the Atchafalaya Basin in Louisiana that I can show you by bateau.

Having purchased a one-owner 71 with no rust for 3,100 cash in SoCal some years back, I would suggest a detailed check out as it seems a little too good on the description.

Sidebar: As it turns out, my 71 car had very very little rust and the name on the title matched the seller standing in front of me in the parking lot. Come to find out, the real owner's son (a druggie standing in front of me) sold his dads 914 for drug money and took off with the cash thereafter. Moral of the story: Don't look a gift horse in the mouth but check with the dentist to know what you might be missing.

cheers

beerchug.gif
jim_hoyland
It’s ( 4702910009 ) in the VIN database,
Description reads “ 1970 Porsche 914 . We are the original owners bought it brand new, original matching number 4 cylinder engine . all original no rust everything works, 100% complete . No rust at all. It has been in California all of its life. Floorboards no rust trunk no rust bug no rust. Runs and drives. All gauges works . Both head lights work great they go up and down. We our the original owners. And original blue and yellow California license plate.
80000 original, one-owner miles, TMU. No engine bay cover shown in pictures. Very rough shape. Paint very faded.“
euro911
With '0' feedback, and all the other sketchy info posted above, I'd run and take the hit on ebay as a non-paying bidder.

Even if you have to pay the $500. deposit, it's better than getting screwed for $12k

That car isn't worth half the bid price IMHO

MCShack
QUOTE(jim_hoyland @ Jul 14 2021, 07:55 PM) *

It’s ( 4702910009 ) in the VIN database,
Description reads “ 1970 Porsche 914 . We are the original owners bought it brand new, original matching number 4 cylinder engine . all original no rust everything works, 100% complete . No rust at all. It has been in California all of its life. Floorboards no rust trunk no rust bug no rust. Runs and drives. All gauges works . Both head lights work great they go up and down. We our the original owners. And original blue and yellow California license plate.
80000 original, one-owner miles, TMU. No engine bay cover shown in pictures. Very rough shape. Paint very faded.“

I added the car to the VIN database with information from the eBay ad. The last part with the mileage, engine bay cover missing, and my opinion of the condition and faded paint is from my casual observation of the pictures.

I agree with taking the hit as a non-paying buyer on eBay including the deposit if you can't get it back before paying the full bid price and taking a much larger hit. But all it takes is money to fix it up again, lots of money.
Long_ago
The same EBay ad ran 2 weeks before - and sold for about the same $$.
Then reappeared with exactly the same as.
And the seller still showing 0 sales.
siverson
Hi all,

Thanks for the input - yes, the plan is to see it in person on Monday (and pay then).

> Michael
> I am only about 25 minutes south of Pleasant Hill.

Thanks! DM sent!

> Looks like a respray on the outside?

Yes - supposedly repainted in the 80s.

> no engine bay lid/cover

Seller did send photos of photos of the engine lid on the passenger seat. No idea why it was removed. Via Facetime the seller did start and walk around the car with it idling. Tires are too old to drive any distance.

> That car isn't worth half the bid price IMHO

I don't agree - obviously which is why I bid it there. I think ~$12k for an unmolested, no/little rust, no accident, complete, running (even if rough), one owner 1970 1.7 with cosmetic issues is a good price (now a days). Car seems to be very complete - has early chrome bumpers, passenger footrest, all keys, odo works, etc. The white stamping/paint still on the engine tin makes it appear the engine has never been removed or rebuilt (as seller claims).

> An odd color for 1970.

Yes - I *think* it's Gemini Blue which would be pretty cool.

> The same EBay ad ran 2 weeks before - and sold for about the same $$.

Really? I can't seem to find a history of that... Anyways, seeing it in person will resolve this all. Stay tuned..

-Steve

Chris914n6
completed listings.

Lots of reasons cars get relisted on Ebay so can't make assumptions.

Get a second opinion "verifying" before driving out there, then pay at pickup. A reasonable seller would be OK with that.

Click to view attachment
930cabman
Good luck with the purchase and welcome aboard
Wyvern
I'm in Concord ... the city next to Pleasant Hill.
Any way I can be of help let me know

Brian
BuddyV
We have plenty of local members..... all willing to help.

Hell..... I bet I can speak for Chris (Tygaboy) that we could even use his enclosed trailer to pick up the car for you, if you wanted.

We would tuck her away for you, ready for you to pick her up without worry.

Anything to help.

beerchug.gif
KELTY360
QUOTE(930cabman @ Jul 15 2021, 05:31 PM) *

Uh, he’s a long time member. Built, raced, crashed and restored a real six.
mepstein
QUOTE(KELTY360 @ Jul 16 2021, 12:32 AM) *

QUOTE(930cabman @ Jul 15 2021, 05:31 PM) *

Uh, he’s a long time member. Built, raced, crashed and restored a real six.

Along with his beautiful green restored six.
ConeDodger
That area is surrounded with teeners. As for its worth? If it truly is rust free, and with its black and yellow plate it likely is original owner and original miles, you might have stolen it!

Be sure to get all the local teener dudes to come with you!
siverson
> Uh, he’s a long time member. Built, raced, crashed and restored a real six.

My orange 3.6 six was originally a 1974 2.0. The only original six I've had was the Irish Green one and didn't crash that one! smile.gif

I have owned 5 other 914s including another 1970 1.7. I know it's weird, but I like the early 1.7 cars.

Michael/Cairo94507 is taking a look today so stay tuned!

-Steve
Root_Werks
Steve, keep us all posted, this could be a good score or an ouch. Either way, got my fingers crossed for you!
KELTY360
QUOTE(siverson @ Jul 16 2021, 08:57 AM) *

> Uh, he’s a long time member. Built, raced, crashed and restored a real six.

My orange 3.6 six was originally a 1974 2.0. The only original six I've had was the Irish Green one and didn't crash that one! smile.gif

I have owned 5 other 914s including another 1970 1.7. I know it's weird, but I like the early 1.7 cars.

Michael/Cairo94507 is taking a look today so stay tuned!

-Steve

My mistake Steve; but it doesn’t change my respect. I’ve followed your 914 adventures for some time, including that great garage build…proper priorities Hope this buy turns out to be a score.
mepstein
The early ones have a special charm to them.
KELTY360
agree.gif
Freezin 914
I know a lot of people are not in love with EBay, but I have bought a car in New York, paid in full, knew it might be a scam, waited 2weeks, placed a complaint. got all my money back. I believe will help you out if there are issues.
Good luck, I hope everything works in your favor!
siverson
hi all - michael checked out the car for me on friday and sent a bunch of pictures.

summary: 1 - it doesnt appear to be a scam as the car was there, the seller continues to communicate and all checks out on that front. the seller is fine waiting for payment until i pick it up.

2 - the car also seems to be as advertised from michaels photos and review. a largely unmolested, original, little/no rust 1.7.

so, its still a go on my end i hope to have it home for a full inspection sometime this week. im not quite sure what my plan is for the car, but it has been motivating to get me to finish my orange car so i think im going to finish my orange car before doing anything significant to this one.

-steve
euro911
I'm still not sure if the car was worth the price, but as the saying goes, "it's worth what someone's willing to pay" shades.gif

Glad to hear you weren't scammed, and hope you're satisfied with the purchase when you have it in your hands. Based on the build of your orange car, I'm sure you'll do a fine job sorting out the new one beerchug.gif
wonkipop
QUOTE(siverson @ Jul 18 2021, 11:48 PM) *

hi all - michael checked out the car for me on friday and sent a bunch of pictures.

summary: 1 - it doesnt appear to be a scam as the car was there, the seller continues to communicate and all checks out on that front. the seller is fine waiting for payment until i pick it up.

2 - the car also seems to be as advertised from michaels photos and review. a largely unmolested, original, little/no rust 1.7.

so, its still a go on my end i hope to have it home for a full inspection sometime this week. im not quite sure what my plan is for the car, but it has been motivating to get me to finish my orange car so i think im going to finish my orange car before doing anything significant to this one.

-steve

great stuff.
first of series - love steelies and hubcabs. beerchug.gif
Arno914
Looks like an unmolested original car with great potential.
Door gaps look good, early "square" rear bumper a great plus, untouched engine bay...keep us posted. smile.gif beerchug.gif
76-914
Then it appears that the seller is a good guy and you aren’t getting screwed. This is great news. beerchug.gif
MCShack
QUOTE(siverson @ Jul 16 2021, 11:57 AM) *

-Steve

I love all 1.7s, my first was a '73, my first 914, my first Porsche, my first new car, bought it new in 1973 right out of high school for a car to commute to college 60 miles away. It was Sunflower Yellow, but I wanted Irish Green, no regrets though, other than I wish it was still in my garage, but we all say that it seems.
Rusty
I have hopes for this one.

Original owner? Assuming the guy bought it at 25 years old, he'd be 76? now.

My father is in that age range and sometimes email & other communication technology are just more than he wants to deal with.
caraddict
this is in craigslst SF Bay Area https://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/cto/d/plea...7353420660.html
MCShack
QUOTE(caraddict @ Jul 19 2021, 06:38 PM) *

The car is listed on eBay yet again but at $15k this time.

yellowporky
well here it is locally. It was in a friends shop last week for some work and they said the owner is very shady. if anyone wants to speak with the shop PM me.

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/cto/d/plea...7353420660.html
MCShack
QUOTE(yellowporky @ Jul 20 2021, 10:58 AM) *

well here it is locally. It was in a friends shop last week for some work and they said the owner is very shady. if anyone wants to speak with the shop PM me.

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/cto/d/plea...7353420660.html

I forgot to include the link to the latest eBay listing, at least the 3rd that I am aware of so far just on eBay in last month or two. I think I've seen enough of that guy and his one-owner car. There is a man that looks to be in his 70's standing in the background on a couple of the pictures, since that came up earlier in the thread. I would avoid this one and find something else, everyone can make their own conclusions as they please of course.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/363474274524?hash=...7oAAOSwhuBg14A1

Cairo94507
I have no idea about the owner of the car other than he agreed to make the car available for inspection and he did. He actually met me at the car and gave me the keys and allowed me to look at it as long as I wanted. He did not come across as "shady" to me. The bottom line is Steve will either buy the car or not. beerchug.gif
Root_Werks
Hoping Steve lets us know if he buys or passes on the 914. If it's truly a Gemini Blue 914, would be so neat to reshoot and get it back to the original color.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.