Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Best Cam for 2056 and Dub Shop EFI?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
bkrantz
Since I had to tear down my partially built engine (to have the case decked), I have a second chance to choose a cam shaft. This build will be a 2056, target compression ratio of about 8.6:1, and the complete EFI and electronic ignition from the Dub Shop (based on Megasquirt 2).

Any wise suggestions?
EdwardBlume
9590 Raby / LN Engineering- $$$$
euro911
I ran a Raby 9580 with 9.5:1 C/R and IDF-40 carbs ... not sure with MS EFI. Maybe consult with Jake or Len confused24.gif
BeatNavy
The cam the type 4 store currently markets for being slightly more aggressive yet compatible with FI is the 9590. I've had one in a 2056 with D-Jet and now in my 2270 with microsquirt. It's excellent, with the possible exception that the first 30 seconds of a cold start require some throttle feathering. It really wants more air than the TB can give it when stone cold.

On the 2056 I was running 8.6 and the 2270 is 9.0. Same situation on each, although I think Jake said it really isn't designed for CR above 8.5 / 8.6.

I've seen others say similar things, so it's likely not just me.
914Sixer
Elgin 330-1 might work. Click to open
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(BeatNavy @ Jul 15 2021, 04:48 AM) *

The cam the type 4 store currently markets for being slightly more aggressive yet compatible with FI is the 9590. I've had one in a 2056 with D-Jet and now in my 2270 with microsquirt. It's excellent, with the possible exception that the first 30 seconds of a cold start require some throttle feathering. It really wants more air than the TB can give it when stone cold.

On the 2056 I was running 8.6 and the 2270 is 9.0. Same situation on each, although I think Jake said it really isn't designed for CR above 8.5 / 8.6.

I've seen others say similar things, so it's likely not just me.

agree.gif

Put one of the Raby 9590 cam kits in Betty's motor. It ran great and pulled strong, but didn't want to idle dead cold. Feathering the throttle for the first minute always worked.

Clay
barefoot
I'm using WEB #494 cam & tappets with carbed 2056 at about 8.6 CR. Good low-mid range torque I usually ignore 1st gear unless an up-hill start. I'm happy with it
colingreene
Did you ask the dub shop?

Id go for 9.0 compression.
If its the carb style throttle you can get away with a lot more cam.
really with that efi you can put a pretty rowdy cam in it anyway.
bkrantz
Thanks, everyone. I have twin IDF throttle bodies and (for now) stock 2.0 heads.

I have also asked Mario.
djway
The T4 in my notchback 78x96 9.0to1 has the Webcam 73 in it with the L Jet. It gets your attention.
JamesM
The nice thing about Megasquirt is one way or another it should be able to fuel whatever motor you want to build so the idea of a "best" cam is going to be relative to personal preference and the rest of your engine build.

My personal preference MORE!!! More cam, more compression, more headflow etc.

Among other things I have put megasquirt on both a 2270 with ITBs and a torquey cam that was done making power by ~5500 and a 2056 with higher compression, a hotter cam, and better flowing heads on a 1.8 plenum that didnt even come on cam until around 3800 rpm and I think the 2056 is WAY more fun to drive. But you have to wind it out to get the most out of it and that isnt for everyone

QUOTE(bkrantz @ Jul 14 2021, 06:11 PM) *

Since I had to tear down my partially built engine (to have the case decked), I have a second chance to choose a cam shaft. This build will be a 2056, target compression ratio of about 8.6:1, and the complete EFI and electronic ignition from the Dub Shop (based on Megasquirt 2).

Any wise suggestions?

bkrantz
At the risk of blowing this discussion wide open, what about heads and valves? While I am dreaming of options, what about after-market heads? Bigger valves?

FWIW I wish for a motor that is mostly easy to live with, and with a bit more go than stock. To hazard a number, something like 120 hp.
djway
QUOTE(bkrantz @ Jul 16 2021, 06:53 PM) *

At the risk of blowing this discussion wide open, what about heads and valves? While I am dreaming of options, what about after-market heads? Bigger valves?

FWIW I wish for a motor that is mostly easy to live with, and with a bit more go than stock. To hazard a number, something like 120 hp.

I went with 44x38 stainless valves.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.