Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Advice needed on Frunk 'Seal Channel' repairs
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Literati914
Hey guys, one of my project cars was hit or hit something in it's past and the previous owners grafted a front end from anther 914 on to it (so this will become my Suby car). It's generally a very solid grafting IMO. But, unfortunately they over-lapped the channels of the fenders (new on top of old partially) and tacked everything up... This looked to me like it would cause issues with seal fitment (channel and lip too shallow) so I'm in the process of correcting this. Today I cut away most of the top fender channel and will be butt welding them to the car's original fender channels that lay underneith. So far so good.

Unfortunately the DAPOs added flat steel pieces the the rest of the channels - surrounding the headlight buckets and nose of the car. I assumed they did this to bring all the channels to a consistent depth... but upon removal I see that there is HEAVY pitting and holes in several places. The areas under the fender channels were not as bad, pitted but no holes there.

Any advice on working the channels around the headlight buckets and nose? I don't think anyone offers these pieces in repo form. Thoughts?

Mikey914
We replicated the metal so that you could drill out the spot welds and replace.
https://914rubber.com/front-trunk-metal-for-porsche-914
Hope this helps
Literati914
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Jul 14 2021, 09:35 PM) *

We replicated the metal so that you could drill out the spot welds and replace.
Hope this helps

Man, you guys are awesome ! pray.gif I will be placing an order for sure. I was thinking I'd have to half ass it.

Does it get tacked in one direction, then over-lap to create the second 'lip' ?
Also - does it bend to form the nose curve or does it need to be snipped, or..?
THANKS.

Mikey914
It lays down just like factory metal does so you can really just drill out the spot welds. Yes you will have to cut and form it to fit. Cary uses this all the time. One of the reasons we made it.
IronHillRestorations
@Mikey914 are they curved?

@Literati914 the upper half of the channel is the top edge of the front bulkhead, so if the top part is bad, it takes a little more work
Literati914
QUOTE(IronHillRestorations @ Jul 15 2021, 07:02 AM) *

@Literati914 the upper half of the channel is the top edge of the front bulkhead, so if the top part is bad, it takes a little more work

Yes, that's what I wasn't quite understanding.. I may need to use this to 're-build' some of the under/upper section before adding it to recreate the top/front lip sections. I'm glad to see it's available.

Mikey914
They are not curved.
cary
The nose needs a few soft bites on the shrinker. I mean really soft.
bkrantz
I used the 914 Rubber pieces, and got pretty good results. I was able to induce a bit of curvature with hand hammering to expand the outer edge of the short side.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.