Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Dipstick - trouble seeing oil on it
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Cairo94507
OK, don't laugh, I am having trouble seeing the oil on my dipstick when I check the oil. The dipstick is "gold" cad plated like a lot of parts on our cars. The oil is clean. I would like to be able to see it on the dipstick. Any suggestions? And yes, I put glasses on and it does not help. confused24.gif
930cabman
Are you old? I am not sure if there is a fix for this condition
Cairo94507
Uhhhh yup. Medicare has kicked in. beerchug.gif
rjames
QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Jul 15 2021, 09:08 AM) *

OK, don't laugh, I am having trouble seeing the oil on my dipstick when I check the oil. The dipstick is "gold" cad plated like a lot of parts on our cars. The oil is clean. I would like to be able to see it on the dipstick. Any suggestions? And yes, I put glasses on and it does not help. confused24.gif

Paint the dipstick black with high-temp paint? Beyond that I don't have any ideas to make it easier to see on the dipstick, but if after you pull it out, press it against a pice of paper or cardboard, or whatever, and look for where it makes a oil mark on the paper and match that up to your dipstick to see what the oil level is.
Mark Henry
QUOTE(rjames @ Jul 15 2021, 12:19 PM) *

I don't have any ideas to make it easier to see on the dipstick, but if after you pull it out, press it against a pice of paper or cardboard, or whatever, and look for where it makes a oil mark on the paper and match that up to your dipstick to see what the oil level is.

Use your phone to magnify the dipstick end.
brant
I often use a paper towel... lay the dipstick onto it and then see where the oil level was
Cairo94507
Gents I think the paper towel answer is what I was looking for. Makes total sense and will be super easy to see. Thanks guys.

Cheers,
Michael beerchug.gif
Olympic 914
QUOTE(brant @ Jul 15 2021, 12:21 PM) *

I often use a paper towel... lay the dipstick onto it and then see where the oil level was

agree.gif

This is what I do when checking the oil.
bbrock
I did laugh because I also have a freshly yellow plated dipstick and had the same problem. I figured out if I hold the dipstick at the right angle to the light, I can quickly find and read the wet line. I confess though that the first time pulling the dipstick to check after initial cam break-in, there was a split second I about stromberg.gif my pants wondering where the heck the oil went! av-943.gif
hex123

Drill a 1/16" hole on the full and needs a quart levels like on modern dipsticks, or drive your car more and get that oil a bit dirtier sunglasses.gif
SO.O.C914er
No oil will do that! lol-2.gif lol-2.gif Too clean will also do that av-943.gif sorry I had to.
dcecc1968
I’m gonna fess up, I have the same problem… on all my cars. I’m old too. Thanks for the paper towel tip
worn
QUOTE(brant @ Jul 15 2021, 08:21 AM) *

Thanks Brant. That is what my son told me to do, and it works pretty good. Went from Exon Valdez oil spewing to more realistic oil use on the Rt 66. Clean oil is very good, but also hard to see.
BuddyV
Wish my oil was that clean... dry.gif
PatrickB
I know it's not an answer for everyone, but if you heat the end of the stick with a propane torch you can get it to discolour, will make it easier to see the oil. And no one else will see what you did to the stick unless they're checking your oil!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.