Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Master cylinder
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
EJP914
Since I filled up the pedal box and most of the tunnel with brake fluid, looks like time for a new master cylinder.

I see 914 Rubber has two for sale. One they claim is "easy install".
Has anyone tried this one? Are they a good source for master cylinders?

I guess the question is how much of pain is it to install the "regular" cylinder.
Have owned 4 914's in my lifetime. First time for this piece of work.
Would appreciate any comments. Thanks

EJP914
mepstein
It’s a pain to install a regular mc but it’s been done many thousands of times, even by me.
Many times a leaky mc will damage the pedal box bushings. They make new ones in bronze.
mb911
I used the 914 rubber easy one thanks to @mepstein whom sent it to me. It worked well once I was able to bleed it.
rudedude
I have two from from a group buy here that leak out the top plug. I would spend the extra dollars and put in an ate brand cylinder. And they can be a pain but plenty of good instructions here on how to do it
dr914@autoatlanta.com
the cheap 90 dollar 19mm URO one works just fine

QUOTE(EJP914 @ Jul 15 2021, 02:18 PM) *

Since I filled up the pedal box and most of the tunnel with brake fluid, looks like time for a new master cylinder.

I see 914 Rubber has two for sale. One they claim is "easy install".
Has anyone tried this one? Are they a good source for master cylinders?

I guess the question is how much of pain is it to install the "regular" cylinder.
Have owned 4 914's in my lifetime. First time for this piece of work.
Would appreciate any comments. Thanks

EJP914

930cabman
I am about to undertake this project, thanks for posting. It looks straightforward, disconnect the lines, unbolt the old, bolt in the new connect the lines and go. Perhaps bench bleed prior to installing?
iankarr
Here’s a video I made installing the easy MC…

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N6ZHK5f_9bE
bbrock
There are some threads for installing the feed lines on the regular style MCs. I used a tip on one of them to use a brake flare wrench (can't remember which size to pull the grommets down into the mc. It was actually quite easy with that little nugget of info. I recommend buying a set of OEM ATE grommets though. The grommets that came with the mc both leaked very slowly. I'm not sure there was anything really wrong with them but the ATE grommets felt stiffer and also gave a more satisfying feel as they seated properly in the bores.
willieg
I have installed both types from 914Rubber and liked the easy install m/c better even though it cost a few bucks more.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.