Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Shifter Springs - Help!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Joe C
just replaced all the parts of my shifter and having a tough time getting the springs back in. Anyone know an easy way to get it done?

Thanks
914Sixer
Here is your answer. Take an old worn out #2 flat blade screwdriver and notch it out as shown. This tool will let you compress the spring you can move the pin into place.
mepstein
First, wear safety glasses.

I use a Phillips screwdriver and vice grips, use the screw driver on one side, pin on the other. Push the spring into place with the vice grips and push out the screwdriver with the oem pin. Takes 30 seconds once you get the hang of it and the vice grips will keep the spring from flying if you mess up.

But wear the glasses anyway.
Joe C
Thanks for the tips 914sixer & mepstein!! I'll give it a shot again later.
914e
I used a Snap Awl though the pin hole on one side
[url=https://shop.snapon.com/product/Awls-and-Hooks-Instinct-Soft-Grip/Instinct-Awl/SG5ASABR]
[/url]
Through the center of the spring, I was then able to push the other end in and start pushing in the pin and use the awl as a lever to push the spring down once I had it flat I could push the pin through as I pulled the awl out.

If you replaced the stop plate I should warn you the part from Porsche is out of spec causing it to bind. The slot needs to be extended.

Click to view attachment
rhodyguy
Like Mark wrote. Only instead of the screwdriver, I use one of the pins with the clip installed on one end and a combo of pushing slightly down on the spring and working the pin in a bit at a time. It goes pretty quickly once you get the hang of it. Those springs DO like to fly across the garage. Then you go on the hunt.
cholland_
I did this recently and used a long zip tie through one hole, through the spring, out the other end, and then connected to itself. As I tightened the zip tie, I was able to easily push the spring into place.

Then, I pushed a small screwdriver through to hold the spring, cut and removed the zip tie, then carefully pushed the screwdriver out with the pin. This worked very well for me and didn't involve sacrificing any tools.
Joe C
The Springs are in!!!! New bushings and reverse lock-out, what a difference.

Thanks for the help every one
rhodyguy
The lock out plate is often overlooked.
MM1
Even after years of addiction to 914World, I am amazed at the wealth of knowledge and alternate techniques freely shared by the veterans . . .you are the best - pray.gif

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.