Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Renegadehybrids conversion help
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Wolfganguntoten
Any help is appreciated. Which engine conversion to do for the noooob.
Chris914n6
D. Subaru flat 6 with a Subaru trans.

LS is too big and too much torque for a stock trans. Boxster 6 speed and adapter kit is big money.

350 is too big and too heavy and carbs suck and too much torque for a stock trans.

Subaru 4 is great but the turbo requires cutting into the truck wall. Also the Renegade kit uses the outdated 914 trans instead of the much better Subaru trans.
Steve
I selected SBC as the easiest and least complicated, not necessarily the best. Since that is what the OP asked. SBC is typically carbureted and simple to wire and install. The other two are more complicated. Personally I would choose either a subi six or LS with boxster six speed.
tygaboy
If you have the chance, try and get a ride in/drive each of your choices.

I have a 500+ hp LS3/Boxster 6-speed conversion and while it's great for bragging rights and goes like mad, it's really about what you want from the car.
After building this one, I wouldn't do it again. I'd look for, at most, an engine in the 275 - 300 hp range. And something lighter.

It's not that a V8 isn't a great option, it's just makes the 914 into something that isn't quite as nimble. In my car, the driving experience is dominated by the engine. Again, not a bad thing, just something to know before you decide.

Come out to CA for a visit and take mine for a drive. It'll certainly help inform your decision. driving.gif

And whatever you decide, we expect a detailed build thread! poke.gif

Best of luck as you move ahead.
Thunderchief
I agree. Try them out yourself. I had a lengthy conversation with Renegade (who are awesome btw) and he tried to steer me towards the sbc or LS1. I test drove an ls1 and rode in a Subi conversion and preferred the Subi conversion myself. In the end, I found a 3.0sc Porsche conversion which I think is the best for resale but is the most expensive.
76-914
agree.gif with Chris’s assessment, in full. I had an SBC and converted it to a Suby 6. The V8 changes the how it feels/handles, aka as the personality of the 914. Others will disagree but I could feel the difference when cornering. beerchug.gif
dwillouby
I have had a SBC with carb, big cam, and re geared 901 trans.

Used the renegade kit & cooling system. Was ok with the usual carb tuning issues and tough to keep cool. With the H gear swap in the 901 had very good cruising rpm.$

Upgraded to a FAST EZ EFI system, made a big difference in starting and driving manners. $$

Upgraded to a Boxster S 6 speed. Now shifts like a new Toyota and had good gear spacing. $$$

Now have a 07 LS2 with the Boxster trans, Used Kennedy and Renegade parts. DBW throttle and custom harness, tune. Night and day compared to the SBC. Scary fast. $$$$$

Have no experience with the Subaru swaps, Seems like a very good choice. I guess its what your end desire is. I seem to hang around the street rod, hot rod show crowds a lot. They see an LS in the car and will stop and check out. I feel a Subaru just looks stock and they just walk on by as they don't know what they are looking at.

David
rmarx
Your question was which on would be the EASIEST. Not which one was the best or most practical. The easiest one would be the small block Chevy with a 901 trans. The wiring and fuel requirements are simple.
I can say this because I have built one in the past. I am currently building one with a Subaru EZ30R engine and WRX trans. It is much more involved and takes more understanding of wiring, computers and fabrication.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.