Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Collector cars someday
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
fixer34
Article in Sunday Chicago Tribune about how gas engine cars will be collector vehicles in 30 years when EV takes over. They list the most likely ones-guess which is at the top of the list.

Click to view attachment
914Sixer
EV'S are a cruel JOKE! How many EV F-Series are ranchers, oil field, farmers going to buy? Don't forget the 1800 lbs of bonus battery weight.
Superhawk996
Love the propaganda. av-943.gif

Mainstream press has a terrible track record of future predictions and never bothers to go back and reality check themselves or issue corrections.

We were also supposed to have level 3 autonomy by 2018 with L4 just a few years after that. Realty - major OEMs are not operating in L3 space and L4 is way too expensive for private ownership.

Tesla defending itself over promises of full self driving that cannot materialize within existing hardware constraints. And, German courts recently ruled that they may no longer advertise full self driving capabilities.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/electrek.co/20...on-lawsuit/amp/

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cnbc.com/a...ng-germany.html

Autoweek is one of the few that I’ve ever seen go back for a reality check on all the heady predictions

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.autoweek.c...s-not-happened/
Superhawk996
QUOTE(914Sixer @ Jul 18 2021, 11:45 AM) *

EV'S are a cruel JOKE! How many EV F-Series are ranchers, oil field, farmers going to buy? Don't forget the 1800 lbs of bonus battery weight.

agree.gif

And what will be the cost to get your goods to market? No free lunch in this world.

Not to mention range degradations on a -20F South Dakota morning!

EVs are great at a lot of things but not in a position to replace ICE soon. I’ll gladly eat crow if they are a major presence in the market in 30 years but that is predicated on magical battery inventions and ability to scale them at reasonable cost.

The real risk is that governments are going to mandate stupidity. The public will bear the foreseeable as well as unforeseeable consequences.
Jonathan Livesay
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=354613
rhodyguy
Sounds GREAT! Then figure out how to build a power grid to withstand, fire, drought, hurricanes and other forces of nature. Then demand. Water for your tomatoes or electric fuel for your car? Imagine it taking 45 minutes and more to gas up a 914. Charging arenas the size of airports. NIMBY. Of course, the utility cos and rates would NEVER be gamed.
fixer34
Geez guys, I didn't mean to open the EV can-of-worms..

I just thought it was interesting that some 'automotive expert' was proclaiming how our cars will become collectors' items in the next 30 years.
Like where has he been for the last 10-20 years??
bkrantz
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Jul 18 2021, 06:35 PM) *

Sounds GREAT! Then figure out how to build a power grid to withstand, fire, drought, hurricanes and other forces of nature. Then demand. Water for your tomatoes or electric fuel for your car? Imagine it taking 45 minutes and more to gas up a 914. Charging arenas the size of airports. NIMBY. Of course, the utility cos and rates would NEVER be gamed.

Yeah, in 2005 millions of people tried to flee Houston as Hurricane Rita approached. That led to hundreds of miles and days of gridlock, worsened by people running out of gas. I can just imagine how much worse that could be with large numbers of EVs, and many of those running out of charge.
rhodyguy
fodder for ICE themed websites.
pete000
I can see the benefits for local commuter applications (under 25 miles each way for example), but really cant see an EV for doing any kind of repeating distance travel especially if you haul things or pull a trailer. I have repeatedly done the math and it just never adds up. Not to mention the value deterioration as the EV vehicle ages ultimately becoming land fill. I know people do cross country road trips in EV's but can't imagine the stress and the amount of work required to maintain the distance between charging. Ok rant over... yellowsleep[1].gif
rick 918-S
And their really not electric. The power source is really not the battery. The battery is secondary. The same fuel source they are banning runs the power plants that charge the battery. WTF.gif wacko.gif oh and someone tell this guy most of what he listed is already on the highly desirable collectors list without the EV fantasy story.
Unobtanium-inc
I don't think we need an EV prediction to know Porsches are valuable. Just look at the value of Porsches compared to most of their contemporaries, especially the value of the parts. I know guys who clean out whole warehouses of Alfa, Triumph, MG, and Mercedes parts and can't give them away. Get a similar warehouse of Porsche parts and you're usually sitting pretty.
But then we all know Porsches are superior cars than most of what they raced against. Set up right they rarely break down and performance is unmatched.

We recently ended up with three late 50's/early 60's Alfas and were really surprised at how crude they were in comparison to Porsche.
914lover17
QUOTE(fixer34 @ Jul 18 2021, 08:33 AM) *

Article in Sunday Chicago Tribune about how gas engine cars will be collector vehicles in 30 years when EV takes over. They list the most likely ones-guess which is at the top of the list.

Click to view attachment

lol I remember being a teenager (15 years ago), saw an irish green 1972 porsche 911S in a movie at the time, fell in love. Prices we're fairly affordable when I checked em out. I thought "when I'm older these are going to be even cheaper" and I'm gonna get one LOLOLOLOLOL damn times have changed.
euro911
With the advancements in battery chemistry, Tesla is estimating 1,000 mile range with Quantum Glass batteries

https://www.nasdaq.com/articles/3-quantum-g...rket-2021-01-13
Shivers
QUOTE(euro911 @ Jul 20 2021, 12:06 PM) *

With the advancements in battery chemistry, Tesla is estimating 1,000 mile range with Quantum Glass batteries

But don't you have to stay under 88 mph? I read that, and went to see if that article was Satire. Dr. Goodenough? LOL The good doctor, Oddjob and Pussy Galore has invented a source of ultimate power. smile.gif How you doing Mark

@euro911
euro911
QUOTE(Shivers @ Jul 20 2021, 01:29 PM) *
QUOTE(euro911 @ Jul 20 2021, 12:06 PM) *

But don't you have to stay under 88 mph? I read that, and went to see if that article was Satire. Dr. Goodenough? LOL The good doctor, Oddjob and Pussy Galore has invented a source of ultimate power. smile.gif How you doing Mark

@euro911

I didn't read the 88 mph part, but I'd be down with that - for short periods of time laugh.gif

Doing good, Paul - I finally got my XT-250 running and all back together yesterday!!! mueba.gif Needed a fuel pump rebuild kit. I guess old ethanol gas ate the impeller in the oem pump confused24.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.