Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Rear-Brakeline Brackets
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
RiqueMar
Wrapping up a re-check of my rear-brakes, and I can’t seem to make either of these clips ‘fit’ on the suspension arms. Granted, my arms are reinforced, however I feel like I’m missing something. Hoping the world can help, as the search feature brings up photos that I can’t quite see. bye1.gif

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
Shivers
The 'U' shaped one
SirAndy
The flexible brake line goes through the hole in the tab on the trailing arm where it connects to the hard line.

The u shaped clip then slides into the groove on the soft line end and because of its bend shape, the clip acts as a spring keeping the assembly tight against the trailing arm tab.
smile.gif

SirAndy
Maybe this shows it better. The top clip in the front works the same.

IPB Image

SirAndy
One more, from a 928, but the same parts:

IPB Image

RiqueMar
Thanks everyone! I think these might have been modified in the past, maybe when they were reinforced, because I can’t get the U-shaped clip inside, looks like I have to either cut them to make a bit shorter, or trim off the side.
SirAndy
QUOTE(RiqueMar @ Jul 18 2021, 05:34 PM) *

Thanks everyone! I think these might have been modified in the past, maybe when they were reinforced, because I can’t get the U-shaped clip inside, looks like I have to either cut them to make a bit shorter, or trim off the side.

Post a pic of the soft brake line after you have it through the bracket on the trailing arm and attached to the hard line. The groove in the end of the soft line should be just in the right spot for the spring to slide in.

If not, your hard lines might be wrong.
popcorn[1].gif

RiqueMar
@SirAndy - Looks like it’s the bracket itself, seems to be short as I can get the clip ‘in’ just not seated all the way…

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
Shivers
Was the bracket cut off, then welded back on? I went out and looked at mine, should fit.
Shivers
QUOTE(RiqueMar @ Jul 18 2021, 06:56 PM) *

@SirAndy - Looks like it’s the bracket itself, seems to be short as I can get the clip ‘in’ just not seated all the way…

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Best pic I could get.

Click to view attachment
bdstone914
QUOTE(RiqueMar @ Jul 18 2021, 05:34 PM) *

@RiqueMar
If you have a 70 as indicated in your avatar you would need the hat shaped clip. SirAndy is correct if you have a later car. The flex line needs to match the clip used. The early trailing arms have a rounds hole in the support bracket and the later cars have a round hole opening to a slot. It is taller. The late clip will not fit on an early car. Cant tell from your picture which you have. I think you picture late flex lines.

Edit: I see you posted a pictures which show you have one early and one late arms. You need the hat shaped clip on the early and the U shape clip on the late and the correct matching lines.

This clip needs to be rotated 90 degrees
fixer34
don't want to hijack this thread, but the question is almost the same as mine.

Installed stainless flex lines 25+ years ago. Doing the calipers/rotors and while the lines look OK, the ends are a bit corroded. Thinking about putting rubber lines back on the front. Current connection has the 'hat' type clip, but also an adapter that sits in the mounting tab. I'm thinking this came with the stainless lines and I won't reuse it with the rubber ones. So will I need the 'C' clip also?

Click to view attachment
SirAndy
QUOTE(fixer34 @ Jul 19 2021, 02:13 PM) *
So will I need the 'C' clip also?

If this worked before for you, then no, you don't need the u/c clip. There's simply two different ways to do the same thing, depending on the tab on your trailing arm.
shades.gif
RiqueMar
QUOTE(bdstone914 @ Jul 19 2021, 06:06 AM) *

If you have a 70 as indicated in your avatar you would need the hat shaped clip. SirAndy is correct if you have a later car. The flex line needs to match the clip used. The early trailing arms have a rounds hole in the support bracket and the later cars have a round hole opening to a slot. It is taller. The late clip will not fit on an early car. Cant tell from your picture which you have. I think you picture late flex lines.

Edit: I see you posted a pictures which show you have one early and one late arms. You need the hat shaped clip on the early and the U shape clip on the late and the correct matching lines.

Hi @bdstone914 - Pretty sure my arms match, I think you're looking at another photo. I'm headed home now, and I'll try the hat-shaped clip, but this time on the bracket facing the 'front' side of the car.
bdstone914
QUOTE(RiqueMar @ Jul 19 2021, 05:05 PM) *

QUOTE(bdstone914 @ Jul 19 2021, 06:06 AM) *

Hi @bdstone914 - Pretty sure my arms match, I think you're looking at another photo. I'm headed home now, and I'll try the hat-shaped clip, but this time on the bracket facing the 'front' side of the car.

That should work if you have the correct flex lines. SirAndy posted very good pictures of the assemble order.
bdstone914
QUOTE(fixer34 @ Jul 19 2021, 02:13 PM) *

don't want to hijack this thread, but the question is almost the same as mine.

Installed stainless flex lines 25+ years ago. Doing the calipers/rotors and while the lines look OK, the ends are a bit corroded. Thinking about putting rubber lines back on the front. Current connection has the 'hat' type clip, but also an adapter that sits in the mounting tab. I'm thinking this came with the stainless lines and I won't reuse it with the rubber ones. So will I need the 'C' clip also?

Click to view attachment

@fixer34

Depends of the year of the car. C clips for 73 and later.
Retroracer
So reinforcing the rear arms can take a few forms - tricky to see in the photos, but yours seems to have extra metal plating welded on; if this extra plating was "slotted" before welding to fit over the brake pipe mounting tabs then you just have less "depth" on the tab - and the clips won't fit any more. The weld around the base of the tab isn't helping things either.

Options are rethinking brake line securing hardware; or bringing forth the grinding, cutting and welding mayhem....

- Tony
RiqueMar
biggrin.gif

Click to view attachment
SirAndy
QUOTE(RiqueMar @ Jul 20 2021, 08:06 AM) *

biggrin.gif

smilie_pokal.gif
RiqueMar
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Jul 20 2021, 09:19 AM) *

QUOTE(RiqueMar @ Jul 20 2021, 08:06 AM) *

biggrin.gif

smilie_pokal.gif

Gracias to all, especially Señor Bruce and Señor Andy!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.