Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Alternator Failure
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ctc911ctc
'74 2.0, 40K miles

I am sure you all know that working on a 914 is never straight forward - simple things can, well, be quite complex! Inspecting an alternator in most cars is as easy as opening the hood, not so much in the 914.

I got this car 3 years ago, took it all apart replaced rubber and steel, put it all together. The alternator was original and was in great physical and electrical shape (proper charging voltage on the battery when the battery was run down).

Last week my son was driving it complaining that he:
1. could not get the parking brake light to turn off
2. was mad that the lights were no longer as bright as they were last week
3. That it was very slow starting earlier that day.

So, I was prepared to change the alternator - Changed Everything else, figured it was time.

Charging Voltage - Same as battery voltage...sigh
No power at the Voltage Regulator.....sigh....

So, I start the removal at the Pivot Bolt - What No Nut???? Did I forget to replace it? confused24.gif

I then loosened the adjustment bolt, to do so I put my hand on the wheel of the alternator and what do ya know????? No Fan Belt!!!! WTF.gif

So, I figure that the pivot bolt was loose and it caused the belt to jump, now where is that thing. huh.gif

It was not in the bay. Nor was it in the engine tin, got out the mirror and looked all around.

Went underneath in case it "slipped through the cracks...." Nothing.....

Kinda like the movie "There's Something About Mary" where did it go?

So, I stop looking for it....actually I couldn't stop and started looking in silly places...

.....and I start to put a spare belt (actually the original from the factory which was in great shape when I got the car, I put it away just in case) into the car smile.gif

I then had an epiphany (always wanted one of those) and I felt around inside the fan. dry.gif

At first I did not feel it, I then reached way in and it was in two perfect circles imbedded within the fan against the back of the fan plate........weird.

I do not think I could get it to go in there that way if I spent an hour shaping it with a heat gun.

I Know, I Know, pictures, will post some later tonight. Right now I have a car to drive and a battery to charge!

Mikey914
Nice and a relatively easy fix beer3.gif
ejm
QUOTE(ctc911ctc @ Jul 19 2021, 06:22 PM) *

He should have been telling you the alternator light was on??
StarBear
Great job!
ctc911ctc
QUOTE(ejm @ Jul 19 2021, 07:00 PM) *

QUOTE(ctc911ctc @ Jul 19 2021, 06:22 PM) *

He should have been telling you the alternator light was on??

Yes, we have had that conversation - about the difference between Big-Blicky and Tiny-Always-On....

Also, the conversation about pulling over when you see a red light on the dash. biggrin.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.