Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Over my head with my 914
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
NJTom
Hello, the forum has been a great asset in the past and I’m hoping it will be again. My mechanic passed away and he rebuilt my 1972 swapping out the 1.8 and putting in a 74 2.0. The last thing he told me before he left this earth was get a new Weber carburetor which I did and I installed, that was pushing my mechanical ability. I don’t race or beat my car it’s strictly a Sunday driver. Here’s my situation, when I start and drive the car ir runs and drives smooth and purrs like a kitten! After about 15 minutes it back fires cuts out and jerks like a bronco! Odd that it can go from one extreme to the other. One other thing the coil gets HOT! Like so hot you can’t touch it. I was wondering if the coil might be bad and that was the cause a lack of voltage??? In that 15 minute window the car idles fine. Any thoughts or suggestions are greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance! Tom
RiqueMar
NJTom - I'm sorry to hear about your mechanic passing away. While I don't have any input on this specific subject, I'm sure that with the help of the forum as well as some self-determination, you'll get there. Using myself as an example, I was not mechanically inclined when I embarked on my project. However, everything I've learned about cars has been out of a desire to create / build my own.

You can do it!
NJTom
QUOTE(RiqueMar @ Jul 20 2021, 12:17 PM) *

NJTom - I'm sorry to hear about your mechanic passing away. While I don't have any input on this specific subject, I'm sure that with the help of the forum as well as some self-determination, you'll get there. Using myself as an example, I was not mechanically inclined when I embarked on my project. However, everything I've learned about cars has been out of a desire to create / build my own.

You can do it!

Thanks for the vote of confidence! Very much appreciated!!!
Pops71Por
QUOTE(RiqueMar @ Jul 20 2021, 04:17 PM) *

You can do it!

Symptoms of a bad coil or condenser back fire and hot are top of their lists.

Both very easy to exchange. make sure you take pictures of the wiring you have now and note the + and - of the coil. and usually the green wire going over to condenser on outside of your Dizzy.

Condenser is the cheapest first test and available at your local auto store.

if you have same issue, then coil needs to be replaced. again, note +/- and hook up wires accordingly.

should fix your issues, coils should not run so hot you can't touch them.
dr914@autoatlanta.com
a guess would be a bad condenser, I would replace points and condenser and set the dwell and timing

QUOTE(NJTom @ Jul 20 2021, 01:13 PM) *

Hello, the forum has been a great asset in the past and I’m hoping it will be again. My mechanic passed away and he rebuilt my 1972 swapping out the 1.8 and putting in a 74 2.0. The last thing he told me before he left this earth was get a new Weber carburetor which I did and I installed, that was pushing my mechanical ability. I don’t race or beat my car it’s strictly a Sunday driver. Here’s my situation, when I start and drive the car ir runs and drives smooth and purrs like a kitten! After about 15 minutes it back fires cuts out and jerks like a bronco! Odd that it can go from one extreme to the other. One other thing the coil gets HOT! Like so hot you can’t touch it. I was wondering if the coil might be bad and that was the cause a lack of voltage??? In that 15 minute window the car idles fine. Any thoughts or suggestions are greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance! Tom

IronHillRestorations
Make sure the coil is hooked up properly. Black/Red wire goes to + black/purple & wire to distributor goes to -
Justinp71

When you installed the carburetor did you go to a low pressure fuel pump or was the car already carbureted? Running a carb on fuel injection pressure is dangerous.
NJTom
QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Jul 20 2021, 01:30 PM) *

a guess would be a bad condenser, I would replace points and condenser and set the dwell and timing

QUOTE(NJTom @ Jul 20 2021, 01:13 PM) *

Thanks!!!
NJTom
QUOTE(Justinp71 @ Jul 20 2021, 02:08 PM) *

When you installed the carburetor did you go to a low pressure fuel pump or was the car already carbureted? Running a carb on fuel injection pressure is dangerous.

NJTom
QUOTE(NJTom @ Jul 20 2021, 03:44 PM) *

QUOTE(Justinp71 @ Jul 20 2021, 02:08 PM) *

Shivers
"One other thing the coil gets HOT! Like so hot you can’t touch it."

That is textbook of a coil going bad.
bbrock
I'm going through something similar. I installed a dizzy with new points and condensor but only had an old coil of questionable condition to pair with it. Car ran like a top for a couple weeks but then started missing and backfiring and the coil got too hot to touch. New coil should be here tomorrow.
930cabman
I cannot recall, but checking the resistance would be a simple check.
https://www.google.com/search?q=ignition+co...=490_i142k_wQnM

I am sure there is a spec somewhere in Haynes or ...
NARP74
In the Land Rover world there is a saying, Land Rover, making mechanics out of owners for 50 years! Same in the 914 world. Don't fight the process, it will happen over time. Learn what you can, know your limits and find a new mechanic if your can. Sorry yours passed away. Sad to see all the knowledge disappear, but this site is a database to be used.
seatosummit
I had similar symptoms with my carbed two liter and replaced the coil. Fixed my issue.

Relatively inexpensive to try! Second what others have said re verifying wiring.

Good luck!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.