Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: I found the rust
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
PaulFV8
I finally got under mine to take a closer look at the right rear long area and found the rust. I need some guidance from the experts, should I replace the entire long on this side or is there a reasonable spot to section this and only replace the offending area?

thanks for your time, stay safe

PaulFV8
rust holes on the bottom of the long
PaulFV8
the section ahead of the jack point looks good
dlee6204
The first step is to cut out the rust and start inspecting. You really won't know how far you need to go with the repair until you start removing the bad stuff. It looks like someone else completed some sort of "repair" so its anyone's guess as to what you'll find. It doesn't appear to be that extreme but dig into and take more pictures.
mepstein
Looks pretty bad to me. Usually what you see is the tip of the iceberg. I would explore more.
SirAndy
QUOTE(mepstein @ Jul 20 2021, 05:37 PM) *

Looks pretty bad to me. Usually what you see is the tip of the iceberg. I would explore more.

agree.gif

Mandatory reading:
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=16748
smash.gif
bkrantz
You can only weld new metal to good metal, so plan on cutting out anything that looks even a bit rusty.
PaulFV8
Andy, thanks for the link, great thread, exactly what I was trying to avoid by buying a car with "solid floors and longs" LOL. I ordered the door bracing from Maddog, I'll start digging into this side once I have it braced.

thanks for your time
Paul
Root_Werks
There are also fatigue cracks in the metal. Others have said it, cut out a good amount so you can see more. There will be more.
brant
for 30 years.... I've always said
don't buy a 914 without pulling the rockers off first.

no one listens

I learned the hard way in 1986
and many others have learned the hard way too
brant
Jonathan Livesay

Yes! I wouldn't be surprised if the suspension console was compromised as well. Rust in that area usually starts at the battery tray and works down.
mepstein
QUOTE(Jonathan Livesay @ Jul 21 2021, 12:26 PM) *

Yes! I wouldn't be surprised if the suspension console was compromised as well. Rust in that area usually starts at the battery tray and works down.

agree.gif 100%.

Battery acid mixed with rain water washes down over and then through the longs and pools at the bottom of the long and inside the suspension console (the weep hole is usually filled with crud) so this means the car is rusting from the inside out. It’s very noticeable when the passenger rear wheel starts to lean in at the top. The seller will say it just needs an alignment. It’s sort of true. It will need an alignment ever two weeks until the console fails completely.
Good luck with the rustoration.
930cabman
QUOTE(PaulFV8 @ Jul 20 2021, 08:43 PM) *

Andy, thanks for the link, great thread, exactly what I was trying to avoid by buying a car with "solid floors and longs" LOL. I ordered the door bracing from Maddog, I'll start digging into this side once I have it braced.

thanks for your time
Paul

Pretty much going to be an adventure. The folks at the factory included rust with our 914's as they were being built. Original rust free examples are few and far between and generally they command high $$. Be patient, ask the guys/gals here for assistance and harvest from the money tree in the yard often.
Superhawk996
Just an opportunity to do it right and end up with a car that actually is as close to rust free as can be.

Time and the elements are not kind to these cars. Others in here have started with worse.

Patience and perseverance are the order of the day. If you don’t have those; flip it and count it as a lesson learned and find a better starting point.
r_towle
Oh now, where is the fun in that?
914s made me a much better welder!

QUOTE(brant @ Jul 21 2021, 12:19 PM) *

no one listens

brant

930cabman
QUOTE(brant @ Jul 21 2021, 10:19 AM) *

no one listens

brant

No truer words could be spoken here.

Curious: what is the cycle the factory recommends for removing the rockers?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.