Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Adjusting Headlight Door
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Gatornapper
My right headlight door is lined up squarely in its place, but the rear is too low and front too high when in the closed position. It is fine in the open position.

I tried the methods on the Pelican thread here:

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsche-914...adjustment.html

This worked for my left door which was a few degrees out of alignment clockwise.

But it is not working for the horizontal alignment problem. Seems there has to be an adjustable screw somewhere that is a stop for the door in the down position like there is when it is in the up position.

Thanks in advance for the advice.

GN
bkrantz
I am pretty sure the down position is determined only by the motor. You might have the crank off by one notch on the motor shaft.
Gatornapper
Thanks - make sense.

So how do I correct that? Turn the black knob with the battery disconnected?

GN

QUOTE(bkrantz @ Jul 20 2021, 08:21 PM) *

I am pretty sure the down position is determined only by the motor. You might have the crank off by one notch on the motor shaft.

bkrantz
Using the knob will only reset the position temporarily. The next time you cycle the lights opened and closed, they go back to the original mis-fit.

What worked for me is to reset the crank position on the drive spindle. To do that, you have to remove the hard plastic cover and open the rubber cover to expose the crank. You can then loosen the spindle nut enough so the crank can come off the internal splines, and then shift it so the lid is fully closed, and then tighten the spindle nut.

BTW, do this only with the battery disconnected, the headlight fuses pulled, or the headlight relay pulled. The system has enough power to do serious damage to fingers. And don't touch the manual knob during the process, or you will have to start over.
Gatornapper
SirAndy & bkrantz -

THANK YOU!

I had previously pulled the plastic cover off but saw the rubber covering the gear lever mechanism and stopped there. Didn't know if it came off & didn't want to mess it up trying.

On mine, the right one goes down too far when closed - it is fine when lights are on. So hope I don't have to mess with the 10mm nut and screw.

The link explains it all perfectly.

Will report back when I get it adjusted.

GN

QUOTE(SirAndy @ Jul 21 2021, 07:51 PM) *

IronHillRestorations
You've probably figured out that when you turn the knob on the motor, it will cycle through and back to the closed position, so be careful working with the linkage. I turn them on so they open, then pull the relay so they stay put, then adjust to the top of the cycle. You have to pry the crank off the motor to reposition.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.