Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: JE Forged Piston with 'KB' in the casting ?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Literati914
I bought a used set (500 miles) of flat top 96mm pistons back some time ago, and just got around to looking at them real good today.

The were described as being 96mm forged JE Pistons.. but they arrived in AA Piston packaging with a description of being 104mm - the pistons are used and do measure 96mm (so the box/packaging was recycled).

I can not find any JE indication but there is a "KB" symbol - does that mean that these are probably KE pistons? Supposedly they were on a Raby build.. and it looks like a valve touched the no.1 piston ever so slightly (fingernail sized mark). Thought?

bdstone914
QUOTE(Literati914 @ Jul 23 2021, 01:42 PM) *

I bought a used set (500 miles) of flat top 96mm pistons back some time ago, and just got around to looking at them real good today.

The were described as being 96mm forged JE Pistons.. but they arrived in AA Piston packaging with a description of being 104mm - the pistons are used and do measure 96mm (so the box/packaging was recycled).

I can not find any JE indication but there is a "KB" symbol - does that mean that these are probably KE pistons? Supposedly they were on a Raby build.. and it looks like a valve touched the no.1 piston ever so slightly (fingernail sized mark). Thought?

They are probably Keith Black pistons. JE pistons should have a serial number to identify exactly how they were made.
Literati914
IPB Image
914werke
those look to be cast pistons & not JE's
Al Meredith
KB are good pistons I have used them on several 1911 and 2056 engines . They use a different metal compound than most and I would advise going to their website and learn about their advantages. One thing to note is that they call for a wider ring gap than the universal .004 / inch in diameter . The piston crown is thinner -thus hotter and therefor the top ring (which is closer to the top ) runs hotter. I'd be interested if some engine builders would come in and address this . Al
914Sixer
KB 96mm is what I used on my 2056 build.
Mark Henry

They are KB pistons, it has Hastings rings, but EMW only used the 2nd Hastings ring.
It's a modified Ford pinto piston, EMW developed them in the 80's and holds the rights to them no matter who you buy them from.

Measure the pin and the pin height, 24mm stock, 22mm is mod or stroked, 1.7/1.8 vs 2.0 have different pin heights.
Best econo/mid class piston and I would choose them over JE for a street engine. AA Performance is becoming a closer 2nd in the econo class as they have improved quality. JE's are better suited for nikisil.
Literati914
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Jul 24 2021, 09:59 AM) *

They are KB pistons, it has Hastings rings, but EMW only used the 2nd Hastings ring. ..

Measure the pin and the pin height, 24mm stock, 22mm is mod or stroked, 1.7/1.8 vs 2.0 have different pin heights.
Best econo/mid class piston and I would choose them over JE for a street engine...

OK so first, is there a way to identify the cylinders as aftermarket EMW? (they could be something else I suppose, does stock have an advantage?)..or for that matter, the 2nd ring as being Hastings only? ..and btw, what do we recommend for the other rings? Stock Mahle maybe? With these supposedly having only 500 miles, if the rings looked good I thought I'd try to run them as is (but I didn't know about the 2nd ring thing then).

Also - I did measure the pins and they are 24mm, so not for a stoker build. But how is pin height measured so I can tell if they're for 1.7/1.8 or 2L ?

Thanks as always guys!

Literati914
I'm gonna assume that by "measure pin height" we're talking about measuring the distance from the center of the pin's bore to the top of the piston?

Unfortunately I can find next to no information on these pistons anywhere. EMW has very little in terms of description. So I would not know what my measurement would indicate, as to which set they are. Anyone know the Pin Height measurement differences between the two sets?

@Mark Henry

Literati914
Ok just for posterity's sake, I'll post the answers to my questions here (since y'all are tuning me out biggrin.gif ). I reached out to EMW:
"..Hello Doug,

KB 2.0 piston will have a pin height of 1.400" center of pin to top of piston. 1.7/1.8 will be 1.615".
Best Regards,
Jorge Rodriguez
European Motorworks.."

Also - I found a post saying that stock jugs would have a #29 or a #39 down near where it meets the case (I'll have to look for that).

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.