Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Healthy limit
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
930cabman
Curious as to an "accepted limit" to the number of 914's one can have in his/her collection? or maybe I should consider therapy. For years I have been adding to my personal collection, but have never had the opportunity to sell anything, or maybe it's ageing.

What does your collection comprise of?
StarBear
Only enough garage room for one full sized 914, so fulfilling my craving with about a dozen Hot Wheels, Matchbox, etc.
Freezin 914
QUOTE(StarBear @ Jul 25 2021, 07:24 AM) *

Only enough garage room for one full sized 914, so fulfilling my craving with about a dozen Hot Wheels, Matchbox, etc.

Also, a very slippery slope as many of us can attest to!
mepstein
As many as I can store and one short of divorce.
Jack Standz
For all those who love math, there is an actual formula derived from many many participants.

Optimal # of 914s = N+1

N = The # of 914s currently owned

FL000
I was once told I must not like 914’s that much because I only have one. lol-2.gif we both got a good laugh out of it.
76-914
I'm not qualified to answer, yet. Ask @ValcoOscar . av-943.gif
sixnotfour
Somewhere bewtween 9 & 14.....
Johny Blackstain
QUOTE(Jack Standz @ Jul 25 2021, 10:36 AM) *

For all those who love math, there is an actual formula derived from many many participants.

Optimal # of 914s = N+1

N = The # of 914s currently owned

agree.gif beer.gif
Shivers
1 teener and one tub which equals 1 teener with very little rust. I've had a few parts cars come and go, but only to keep my first one running.
930cabman
Many good answers, currently I am on the fence with "N+1" and either between 9 and 14. Garage is getting filled and wife has never discouraged my "hobby"

Great answers

BTW, does anyone use Carfax?
914Sixer
Up till about 2015 I usually had 4-5 in various states of repair. Only have room for two in warehouse.
Jett
QUOTE(930cabman @ Jul 25 2021, 09:07 AM) *

Many good answers, currently I am on the fence with "N+1" and either between 9 and 14. Garage is getting filled and wife has never discouraged my "hobby"

Great answers

+1 but my wife did question the new garage that is bigger than our home smile.gif
ClayPerrine
We have 3.

I want another one... a track car. Betty says we don't have garage space for another one... mad.gif
930cabman
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Jul 25 2021, 05:10 PM) *

We have 3.

I want another one... a track car. Betty says we don't have garage space for another one... mad.gif

Priorities, .... is the yard large enough for a garage addition? We only live once
bkrantz
QUOTE(Jett @ Jul 25 2021, 11:10 AM) *

Great answers

+1 but my wife did question the new garage that is bigger than our home smile.gif

Our first house (custom design) was about 1600 sqft of living space and 1100 sqft of garage. I should have maintained that ratio as the houses got bigger.
Jett
QUOTE(930cabman @ Jul 25 2021, 05:28 PM) *

We have 3.

Priorities, .... is the yard large enough for a garage addition? We only live once

+1
VegasRacer
Total Production: 914-4 = 115,596
Total Production: 914-6 = 3,360
Total Production: 916 = 11

118,967 = Grand Total.

You don't want to be greedy, so less than half. king.gif 59,483 for you.

And 59,484 for everybody else.

rgalla9146

Down from 5 to three.
Space, time and effort.

ClayPerrine
QUOTE(930cabman @ Jul 25 2021, 07:28 PM) *

We have 3.

There is just enough room between the garage and the back fenceline for a parking pad. I can't push the garage to the property line, that is the utility locations. I could push it back into the back yard, but that would block the window to the breakfast nook.

I wanted a large hanger with a small apartment in it, but nooooooo.... she had to have a house in suburbia. I even have to park our trailer at a local storage facility. mad.gif

I really can't stay angry. She is a 914 person through and through, and indulges our obsession. screwy.gif driving-girl.gif driving.gif smash.gif
wonkipop
one is enough.

i have different mission stage requirements.

a citroen xm for trans lunar injection.

a renault clio RS for lift off from cape canaveral.

and a 914 for landing on the moon (a bit of handling?)
not a lot of power required to escape lunar gravity.

i have not thought about returning to earth yet - another cruise mode. beerchug.gif

i'm thinking mercedes benz for splashdown. 80s V8?
914_teener
QUOTE(930cabman @ Jul 25 2021, 06:00 AM) *

Curious as to an "accepted limit" to the number of 914's one can have in his/her collection? or maybe I should consider therapy. For years I have been adding to my personal collection, but have never had the opportunity to sell anything, or maybe it's ageing.

True story:

There is/was a member here whom during college had more than 27 914's in various stages. To meet his school expenses he would build engines for folks in the So Cal area. His degree was in Mechanical Engineering.

During around this same time I met him as we were to be married by the same pastor during marriage couniling which is for some...required to be married.

We joked about the 914 as my wedding day pictures are in my old -ex 914.

Soon after marriage he sold his entire collection. I sold mine not because my wife made me but it was time to move on.....AND my wife wouldn't ride in it.

Thus the relationship model:

No of 914's: Marriage tolerance as H-BAR

It follows: 914: M-XH/bar

I'm a numeric....but it makes sense to me.

Carry on.

PS: As is evident I still can't spell worth a damn. I'll just leave it.
Root_Werks
The one I have is challenging my health enough as it is. biggrin.gif
Betty
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Jul 25 2021, 06:10 PM) *

We have 3.

Noooooooo.... Betty only said it'd have to be stored behind the garage and it would be a major pain having it out in the weather and having to push it into the garage to work on. Sheesh.... driving-girl.gif driving.gif

GaroldShaffer
My max at one time was 5 running driving and 7 parts cars. I am now down to one driver (sold the race cars) 7 parts car and a bumble Bee project car.

My wife is a saint. Her car hasn't seen the inside of our 3 car garage in 3 yrs. I'm like Little Garold Apple Seed...... I have 914s stored everywhere. biggrin.gif
KELTY360

Great answers

You need a bigger garage, but remember…….nature abhors a vacuum.
930cabman
QUOTE(Betty @ Jul 26 2021, 03:51 PM) *

We have 3.

Noooooooo.... Betty only said it'd have to be stored behind the garage and it would be a major pain having it out in the weather and having to push it into the garage to work on. Sheesh.... driving-girl.gif driving.gif

Just the boys trying to have some fun, what could be wrong with that?
RARE 6
Would like to downsize the house but having trouble finding a condo with a five or six car garage and a condo association with a sense of humor. Only one (914-6) but three other drivers (F350, X5 and a '74 FJ55 Land Cruiser) as well as a Model A project waiting in the wings.
Shivers
QUOTE(Betty @ Jul 26 2021, 02:51 PM) *

We have 3.

LOL biggrin.gif
930cabman
Currently we have a 356SC, 911S, turbo cab, Dodge Power wagon and two 914's in the shop. I was considering another 914, but some level of sense came upon me.

Tdskip
As many as makes you happy without screwing up other aspects of your life. I passed that point several cars ago, Ha.
MCShack
Everybody "NEEDS" at least one. Most everybody "WANTS" more. Nobody has "TOO MANY" ever.
Dave_Darling
The typical accepted limit around here seems to be "One more than you currently have."

When you get that next one, the limit is one more than that number...

--DD
sixnotfour

We have 3.

Remebering some female pics,, I say Stack em...
930cabman
QUOTE(sixnotfour @ Jul 27 2021, 05:57 PM) *

We have 3.

Remebering some female pics,, I say Stack em...

Exactly, they are small and light
worn
QUOTE(930cabman @ Jul 25 2021, 05:00 AM) *

Never sell.
worn
QUOTE(RARE 6 @ Jul 27 2021, 05:29 AM) *

Would like to downsize the house but having trouble finding a condo with a five or six car garage and a condo association with a sense of humor. Only one (914-6) but three other drivers (F350, X5 and a '74 FJ55 Land Cruiser) as well as a Model A project waiting in the wings.

I like that: condo association with a sense of humor. Ha ha ha ha. Good one…
930cabman
QUOTE(worn @ Jul 27 2021, 08:26 PM) *

QUOTE(RARE 6 @ Jul 27 2021, 05:29 AM) *

I like that: condo association with a sense of humor. Ha ha ha ha. Good one…

+1, does such a thing exist?
JamesM
QUOTE(930cabman @ Jul 25 2021, 05:00 AM) *

Limits are hard to enforce when you loose track of how many you have.

Currently I have (and I have to put a bit of thought into this)

72 914 (2056)
72 914 (1.7)
73 914 (2.0)
73 914 (2.0) - roller
74 914 (2.0 bumblebee)
80 924 Turbo
86 944 Turbo
85 Vanagon Westfalia
97 328is
99 M3
2018 Passat

11... well at least now i know.. next to take inventory of all the extra parts.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.