Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Driving Shoe Recommendation Needed
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Ansbacher
Anyone know of some economical but halfway decent driving shoes? My damn size 13 clodhoppers are constantly getting trapped when lifting my foot off the gas to hit the brake. It's dangerous. Need something slim profile without all that extra bulk of the goofy athletic shoes you get off the rack.

Ansbacher
horizontally-opposed
QUOTE(Ansbacher @ Jul 25 2021, 01:53 PM) *

Anyone know of some economical but halfway decent driving shoes? My damn size 13 clodhoppers are constantly getting trapped when lifting my foot off the gas to hit the brake. It's dangerous. Need something slim profile without all that extra bulk of the goofy athletic shoes you get off the rack.

Ansbacher

Gonna be very shoe size dependent (my feet are a bit though not hugely smaller than yours), but after all the years and cars, I've found Converse All Stars to be very good all-rounders.

They're narrow/"small" enough to work with all pedal sets (save a Formula car or some Lotuses), comfortable enough to wear as an everyday shoe, inexpensive, durable, etc. YMMV…
914 RZ-1
I also have size 13 feet. I've used these:
https://www.shoes.com/mens-skechers-citywal...-8aAggWEALw_wcB

I also try to find off the rack shoes that are more form-fitting. Asics also have worked for me.
Retroracer
I got a set of these recently which I liked:

https://us.puma.com/en/us/pd/speedcat-og%2B...06725_size=0280

..but not in that color. Size was a little tight, but otherwise good. I do not have size 13 feet though!

- Tony
NARP74
Wrestling shoes are very sleek, if you can find your size.
Spoke
Bare feet is the only way to go for me
Lg914
QUOTE(Retroracer @ Jul 25 2021, 06:01 PM) *

I got a set of these recently which I liked:

https://us.puma.com/en/us/pd/speedcat-og%2B...06725_size=0280

..but not in that color. Size was a little tight, but otherwise good. I do not have size 13 feet though!

- Tony

Puma are good but they do run small. I normally wear a 13 but always go with a 14 in pumas. They work well in tight pedal boxes.
bkrantz
I have been wearing an earlier version of these, in size 12. Very good for driving and fine for walking around a bit.

https://www.merrell.com/US/en/vapor-glove-5...ctSetPage=false
Literati914
QUOTE(NARP74 @ Jul 25 2021, 06:11 PM) *

Wrestling shoes are very sleek, if you can find your size.

Yes this is a good point - think serious competition style wrestling (not WWE style lol-2.gif )... and Academy used to carry them, not sure if they do now or not. They'd make a good driving shoe imho.

Mayne
Also check out Merrell Trail Gloves. I’m on my second pair and I love the feel for driving, even more than my Pilotis.
Shivers
When I ran cross country (74-75) Nike made a very light very thin CC running shoe. I bet they have a herd of different competition designs now. But what I wore would not stop fire
SirAndy
Here are mine ...
biggrin.gif

IPB Image

Ansbacher
Thanks all for the great suggestions! Andy's ballerina shoe looks promising but I like the wrestling shoe idea best.

Ansbacher
eric9144
QUOTE(horizontally-opposed @ Jul 25 2021, 02:41 PM) *

after all the years and cars, I've found Converse All Stars to be very good all-rounders.

They're narrow/"small" enough to work with all pedal sets (save a Formula car or some Lotuses), comfortable enough to wear as an everyday shoe, inexpensive, durable, etc. YMMV…

agree.gif bang for the buck beerchug.gif
andys
I loved my Simpson high tops. $100 and they go to size 14.
Don't expect them to last long if you walk around much; they're strictly a racing shoe. Thin sole, light weight.
Andys
NARP74
QUOTE(Ansbacher @ Jul 26 2021, 11:03 AM) *

Thanks all for the great suggestions! Andy's ballerina shoe looks promising but I like the wrestling shoe idea best.

Ansbacher

Shoot quick, fireman's carry, take down, 2 points for the win!
wonkipop
QUOTE(eric9144 @ Jul 26 2021, 03:40 PM) *

QUOTE(horizontally-opposed @ Jul 25 2021, 02:41 PM) *

after all the years and cars, I've found Converse All Stars to be very good all-rounders.

agree.gif bang for the buck beerchug.gif

skate stars are good too. with the gum soles. beerchug.gif
wndsrfr
Sparco Race 2....my feet are wide and I like them...around $100...seems like a lot 'til you find that a tank of gas costs $75 & is gone in 3 days.
VaccaRabite
Another vote for the Converse All Stars. Its been my go-to shoe for walking or driving since high school.

Also, when I wear out a pair of Nike Metcons at the gym, they become just regular sneakers for me. Slim profile and they make great driving shoes.

Zach
Shivers
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Jul 26 2021, 09:37 AM) *

Here are mine ...
biggrin.gif

IPB Image

Ha, those will stop fire, flood and ((((Earthquake)))). biggrin.gif
Front yard mechanic
This what I use very light weight and offer freedom of movement with good ankle supportClick to view attachment
Steve
QUOTE(Shivers @ Jul 27 2021, 06:55 AM) *

QUOTE(SirAndy @ Jul 26 2021, 09:37 AM) *

Here are mine ...
biggrin.gif

IPB Image

Ha, those will stop fire, flood and ((((Earthquake)))). biggrin.gif

They probably also kick some ass in a fight.
rgalla9146
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Jul 26 2021, 12:37 PM) *

Here are mine ...
biggrin.gif

IPB Image

( 50% actual size biggrin.gif )
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.