Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Targa main seal install, made a lot easier…
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
horizontally-opposed
Installed a main targa seal from 914rubber on Saturday, and while it took 2-3 hours it fit better than the factory seal I bought years ago—which never sealed all that well, didn't let the doors close properly, and eventually tore at the corners.

In fairness, 914rubber's video gave me tips I didn't have when I did the factory seal, i.e. trimming the aluminum tabs. I was conservative with the tin snips, cutting each side 2-3 times to remove only what I had to. Also had to file a bit of the outer aluminum track on the passenger side to get the seal to meet the windshield frame. Neither of those steps were difficult, as aluminum is easy to work with. The big help was the video's corners-first > push-in-from-the-side method, as the pull/pull-into-the-track method I used with the factory seals clearly wasn't going to work. I did buy a bottle of glycerin, but 914rubber's suggested soft hand soap was better. Along with tin snips and a metal file, an assortment of plastic trim tools from a larger Autoxel kit like this one was key. One of the larger trim tools with two small, flat tips proved best, as it offered better hand grip & leverage than the smaller trim tools.

Final fit/finish is better than the factory seal I installed years ago, and both doors seem to close better with much better window fit too. Having the extra length at the bottom of the sides to trim is also better than the "take what you get" with a factory seal.

I'm really impressed with this seal, which is something I can't always say for reproduction parts.

Tools that helped:
*Small Phillips screwdriver, preferably magnetic
*Fresh utility razor
*Larger plastic trim tool w/two small tips
*Tin snips
*Metal file, fine

This thread had me concerned about how the install would go:
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...337114&st=0

Watching this video helped, as did having it handy in the garage:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ui-GSfUS7ak
Mikey914
Thanks,
We tried to make it as easy as we could. beer3.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.