Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What water pumps are you SBC guys running ?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
914boss
Hey guys I’ve done a radiator flush and replaced thermostat so now I’m going down the line process of elimination. What water pumps are you guys running ?
FL000
I am running an electric Davies Craig water pump, but I ran a Renegade Hybrids belt driven pump and it worked great.

What kind of system are you working with overall? Getting optimum performance and bleeding all the air out can be a challenge. What kind of temps are you seeing and under what conditions (outside temps, driving style)?
Steve
QUOTE(FL 000 @ Jul 26 2021, 08:40 PM) *

I am running an electric Davies Craig water pump, but I ran a Renegade Hybrids belt driven pump and it worked great.

What kind of system are you working with overall? Getting optimum performance and bleeding all the air out can be a challenge. What kind of temps are you seeing and under what conditions (outside temps, driving style)?

Just freeway driving he is getting up to 250. We also think its air in the system.
RARE 6
QUOTE(Steve @ Jul 26 2021, 07:53 PM) *

QUOTE(FL 000 @ Jul 26 2021, 08:40 PM) *

Just freeway driving he is getting up to 250. We also think its air in the system.

Not all GM water pumps are the same. You can get short GM high volume water pumps if you research applications for 60s-70s heavy duty pickups. Not applicable here, but on my Land Cruiser SBC conversion I also run a heavy duty fan clutch from HD pickups. It locks the fan in sooner.
bdstone914
QUOTE(914boss @ Jul 26 2021, 02:45 PM) *

Hey guys I’ve done a radiator flush and replaced thermostat so now I’m going down the line process of elimination. What water pumps are you guys running ?

@914boss

I agree with Steve that it is probably air in the system. And you can ignore 99% of those suggestions made by Facebook user as most of them dont have a clue.
tygaboy
@914boss
Some additional info to rule out other possible culprits:
- what size/type is your radiator?
- what size lines are you running?
- What's your fan set up? One or two?
- How are your fans triggered?
- let's see pics of your air inlets, outlets, rad shrouding, etc.

I'm running a Renegade radiator, 1.25" lines (a mix of Gates green stripe and aluminum hard line) and Meziere remote electric water pump. No thermostat and my ECU runs the Renegade fans. Both come on/go off at the same time.

It works well on a street driven, 500+ hp LS3. Freeway temps are actually a little under where I'd like them.

I agree with others that you likely have air in the system. Or there's an issue with your cooling set up - like air not ducted well enough. I'm not saying that's the case, just something to be sure is nailed down.

Keep us posted on your progress and best of luck resolving this issue.
FL000
QUOTE(Steve @ Jul 26 2021, 08:53 PM) *

Yeah that’s hot! Not second guessing but are you fairly confident in that temp?

Just for a baseline reference my components are:
Renegade Hybrid sourced radiator
2 electric SPAL puller fans triggered by temp ~205 degrees F
Rubber hose; 1-1/4 return and 1” supply (if not mistaken)
Wheel well cutouts for venting
Opening on front of my Sheridan nose
No thermostat
Catch and recovery tank. Standard radiator cap, 16 psi (again if memory serves correct)

If you need measurements I can get you a wag. Also can walk you through my bleeding procedure.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.