Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Chasis number
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Quinn Moore
Car was re painted by PO. new DOT sticker on the way. need to order new Karmann badge. (original badge is non-existent) .

can anyone make out the numbers? or is there simply too much paint?

I think its : 2933510 or "7"0 (meaning, is it a "1" or "7").

1973 1.7 conversion to 2.0 by PO.

thoughts? thank you.

QMClick to view attachment Click to view attachment
Quinn Moore
QUOTE(Quinn Moore @ Jul 29 2021, 10:20 AM) *

Car was re painted by PO. new DOT sticker on the way. need to order new Karmann badge. (original badge is non-existent) .

thoughts? thank you. QM

crap pics are upside down. standby.
Quinn Moore
QUOTE(Quinn Moore @ Jul 29 2021, 10:21 AM) *

QUOTE(Quinn Moore @ Jul 29 2021, 10:20 AM) *

thoughts? thank you. QM

crap pics are upside down. standby.

Click to view attachment Click to view attachment
jrmdir
I vote for "1" German stamps always seem to have a longer tail on that numeral;

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Ron
Root_Werks
2 6 3 6 5 1 0 ?

My eyes are worse than yours.

I do agree, that is most likely a 1, not a 7.
jrmdir
A more applicable photo. My Karman tag is intact and those are all 1s.

Click to view attachment
Quinn Moore
QUOTE(jrmdir @ Jul 29 2021, 10:53 AM) *

A more applicable photo. My Karman tag is intact and those are all 1s.

Click to view attachment

(thanks everyone). I also think it confirms the 9. looking at @jrmdir numbers.

I'll let this post simmer for awhile to see if anyone else chimes in.

QM
930cabman
A small amount of paint remover?
ndfrigi
looks like it is “7” because a little slanted. Like someone said, maybe paint remover or scratch it a little bit?
davep
I can help if you provide the VIN. I have been researching these for 50 years.
jrmdir
Hi Quinn:

"new DOT sticker on the way"

Where did you order this from? Mine is missing.

Thanks,

Ron

tazz9924
2638510 is what i see but im often confused
Quinn Moore
QUOTE(jrmdir @ Jul 29 2021, 12:57 PM) *

Hi Quinn:

"new DOT sticker on the way"

Where did you order this from? Mine is missing.

Thanks,

Ron

Pm'd you Ron. In short for others.

https://www.aasesales.com/collections/porsc...s/chassis-decal
davep
2939510 is the correct Karmann body #, and it fits perfectly with my extensive data.
Quinn Moore
QUOTE(davep @ Jul 30 2021, 09:06 AM) *

2939510 is the correct Karmann body #, and it fits perfectly with my extensive data.

Thanks @davep for all your help on this. (Still waiting for the DOT sticker)Click to view attachment
horizontally-opposed
Have too much paint in my fender VIN, and have wondered about how best to address it without messing it up. I should look at the trunk, as both were resprayed last time around. Haven't really cared as I've known the car for 35 years and hope to keep it at least that long.

IIRC, the original finishes suggested it was taped off and left in a different color than the body?
MCShack
The fourth digit is always a "9" and the fifth is usually a "5" unless more than 100 cars were made that day then it will be a "6", but that is rare.

First 2 digits are the week of the year, even if Jan 1 is the day in the first week, it counts as the first week of the year.

Third digit is the day of the week it was made, 1 for Monday, 2 for Tuesday, etc.

Last two digits are the numerical order the car was made that day, such as "10" being the tenth car made that day, or "70" being the 70th car made that day. If more than 100 cars are made in a day then the "95" in the middle becomes a "96" to indicate the numbers rolled over 100 cars for the day.
davep
MCShack, that is mostly accurate. I worked out the system for the 914/4 back in 1976 from about 40 Karmann body #'s; I now have over 800. I have also worked out the different system for the production # on the 911 and 914/6. There is also a production # on the 914/4 up under the dash, and know that the production # and the Karmann body # are not always the same.

The first 9 weeks of the year are generally single digit, so the 9 is a demarcation between date & serial. Beginning with the 36th week of 1974 the 9500 is no longer the base for the serial, and it becomes 9000. In this later period I have a few in the high 9200's indicating up to 300 per day; I find this very unusual compared to the low number of cars built in 1975 & 76.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.