Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Turn Signal Indicator Questions
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Ansbacher
The turn signal arrows at the top of my tachometer on my '74 2.0 have never illuminated when the blinkers are on. My questions:

1. Are BOTH arrows supposed to illuminate simultaneously when either the left or right blinker is on?

2. Are the arrows illuminated by one lamp or two lamps?

Want to get this straightened out but need to know how the system is supposed to work. Thanks.

Ansbacher

Dave_Darling
Your tach is from a 73. In the 73, the arrows are two separate indicators; only one will flash at a time when the turn signal is on.

1974 cars had a tach with only one turn signal indicator, and it flashed with either turn signal on.

Some early 74s had 73 gauges installed from the factory. They added a jumper so that both arrows would flash when either turn signal was on.

Either your 74 is an early car, and something has happened to the indicator light circuit, or it's a later car that someone swapped a 73 tach into, and they didn't hook up the indicator light. (Do all the other main gauges have silver cones in the middle of the gauge?)

There have been posts here about how to re-wire the indicator circuit to work both lights separately, if you want that.

--DD
Ansbacher
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Jul 29 2021, 02:50 PM) *

Your tach is from a 73. In the 73, the arrows are two separate indicators; only one will flash at a time when the turn signal is on.

1974 cars had a tach with only one turn signal indicator, and it flashed with either turn signal on.

Some early 74s had 73 gauges installed from the factory. They added a jumper so that both arrows would flash when either turn signal was on.

Either your 74 is an early car, and something has happened to the indicator light circuit, or it's a later car that someone swapped a 73 tach into, and they didn't hook up the indicator light. (Do all the other main gauges have silver cones in the middle of the gauge?)

There have been posts here about how to re-wire the indicator circuit to work both lights separately, if you want that.

--DD

Thanks, Dave- you are a plethora of information as always. Yes, my car is a very early '74 with an August '73 build date. All of my gauges are the silver cone type. I don't understand why the factory would have jumped the wires to make a perfectly good indicator flash illogically (both arrows illuminated)…???... Nevertheless, how many of the lamps inside the gauge illuminate the arrows- one or two?

Ansbacher
Dave_Darling
The 74+ cars only have wiring to run one indicator. Likely done for cost reasons.

They used a jumper wire on cars with 74 wiring and 73 gauges so that both arrows would blink when either turn signal was on.

--DD
Ansbacher
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Jul 29 2021, 08:12 PM) *

The 74+ cars only have wiring to run one indicator. Likely done for cost reasons.

They used a jumper wire on cars with 74 wiring and 73 gauges so that both arrows would blink when either turn signal was on.

--DD

OK, that makes perfect sense; typical Porsche pennywise-poundfoolishness thinking.

Now, can anyone answer this part of my question:

How many of the lamps inside the gauge illuminate the arrows- one or two? Dave may have answered this in his responses, but I'm not sure.

Ansbacher
Front yard mechanic
My 74 only flashes on the left side so I'm following this . Maybe I can learn from you when you remove the gauges and look popcorn[1].gif
Dave_Darling
Both arrows should blink in a car with 74+ wiring and a 70-73 gauge.

This was done by running a jumper wire from the one light to the other light, so that both blink at the same time.

--DD
flipb
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Jul 30 2021, 03:25 AM) *

Both arrows should blink in a car with 74+ wiring and a 70-73 gauge.

This was done by running a jumper wire from the one light to the other light, so that both blink at the same time.

--DD

That's always been my experience in my July '73 build date '74 MY. Although lately I can't get the brake flasher to quit, so the flashers & brake light just blink constantly... sad.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.