Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What have you got in your frunk?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
bkrantz
The stock frunk plywood panel is a nice fit--if it sits directly on the frunk floor. But not so good when it sits on top of a spare tire.
bkrantz
Instead, I am thinking about a larger plywood panel, cut to fit snugly when sitting on top of a tire (and on top of the semi-circular front brace).

What do you guys have?
Dion
I made a small support at the rear out of aluminum “L” stock. It’s detachable via Velcro.
I riveted the side supports for strength. Front rests on chassis.
Warren914
I thought carpeted plywood was the norm.

Click to view attachment
Warren914
Click to view attachment
VegasRacer
My spare tire is in the rear trunk. bootyshake.gif
Click to view attachment
914Toy
Click to view attachment
euro911
Click to view attachment

beerchug.gif
Mikey914
The stock front panel fits snugly. The one you have on the bottom, is definitely smaller.
Got these in stock if you need one.

https://914rubber.com/front-trunk-lining-set
friethmiller
Hey Mikey914, et. al.

I've got the 914rubber spare tire cover/board but I'm waiting on the A/C hoses to be installed. As you can see here the condenser box below the spare changes the tire height. Got a feeling I will be using my jigsaw or perhaps some trim blocks to raise the height. My goal here is to make it look 'stock' as much as possible. Does anyone know if/how the dealers modified the spare tire cover after an A/C install?

Click to view attachment
Warren914
I have a spare tire bracket that I think is for use in the rear truck.
Still think hacking the front trunk for AC install is wrong in soooo many ways.
Mikey914
Not sure how factory did it but you could send us a pattern and we could custom make you one.
sb914
@jim hoyland
Highland
Having a hard time telling from the pictures, but is the cover suppose to rest on the tire or frame when the spare tire is installed?

Does anyone know if the front spare was intended for crash protection?
Jamie
QUOTE(Highland @ Jul 31 2021, 07:45 AM) *

Having a hard time telling from the pictures, but is the cover suppose to rest on the tire or frame when the spare tire is installed?

I was told by my engineer Dad, original owner of my 73 teener, that the front location of the spare was designed as part of the crash /crush protection design. Over the years several owners have stated that a teener should never hit the road without a front spare secured in place. Makes sense to me when you consider the location. agree.gif
76-914
QUOTE(VegasRacer @ Jul 30 2021, 08:57 AM) *

My spare tire is in the rear trunk. bootyshake.gif
Click to view attachment

Mine too!

Click to view attachment
euro911
QUOTE(Jamie @ Jul 31 2021, 05:41 PM) *
QUOTE(Highland @ Jul 31 2021, 07:45 AM) *

I was told by my engineer Dad, original owner of my 73 teener, that the front location of the spare was designed as part of the crash /crush protection design. Over the years several owners have stated that a teener should never hit the road without a front spare secured in place. Makes sense to me when you consider the location. agree.gif
agree.gif Even the vertically-mounted spare tire in my '68 Beetle helped when I was involved in a frontal collision (not my fault).
nihil44
I propped up the rear of the spare to make it level and got the hot glue gun and some 4mm MDF and mocked up the box and got the local fibreglass guy to make it in fibreglass. Probably should have watched a few more YouTube videos and done it myself.

I wanted a box to prevent small objects falling past the cover board and down past the spare tyre. I am happy with the result

Click to view attachment
nihil44
Click to view attachment
Montreal914
Here is my plan trying to squeeze a lot of the above mentioned.

Using a temporary spare tire mounted on a $100 4 1/4" Fachs, I plan on having a MBZ cooler under the front reinforcement shelf using the factory front holes as inlet and open the two blank ports in the floor as vent. I will redo the floor cover so it seals better all around creating a plenum.

As you can see in the last picture, the floor panel could even fit below the shelf with this compact setup.

This gives me some impact protection, an oil cooler, and a good size trunk.

Initial mockup using my craisglist $15 spare and MBZ cooler.
Click to view attachment

Spare now on Fachs smile.gif
Click to view attachment

Trunk floor lower height
Click to view attachment
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.