Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: /6 engine mount differences and fit and trimming
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Tdskip
Happy Friday gentlemen, hope everybody’s had a good week so far.

I have two engine mounts that were sourced from different places, most of you will recognize the bare metal one as coming from Mad Dog. The light gray one has made an appearance in the forum before, and it appears to be a older Vellios style.

Besides being substantially larger there’s an extrusion I circled in red on the older Vellios one that look like will require trimming to sit flush on the firewall. Am I thinking about that correctly?

You may also note that the engine mount openings are a bit inboard on the Mad Sog mount that the Vellios one - I assume the Mad Dog one is correct?

I also want to ask if there’s any harm in trimming the gray Vellios style one down a bit so it isn’t the same approximate size as Rhode Island.

Thanks!

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
Root_Werks
Think you're more than fine to trim that part off. Those mounts are crazy strong if installed correctly.

Looks like the biggest decision (for me anyway) would be if I had a matching Engine side mount. They look to be spaced differently.

Would suck to install one only to realize you would didn't have the engine side mount.
Tdskip
QUOTE(Root_Werks @ Jul 30 2021, 03:13 PM) *

Think you're more than fine to trim that part off. Those mounts are crazy strong if installed correctly.

Looks like the biggest decision (for me anyway) would be if I had a matching Engine side mount. They look to be spaced differently.

Would suck to install one only to realize you would didn't have the engine side mount.

Hey! Thanks for the response.

I have two different engine mounts, let me get pictures of those posted.
mb911
So some basic history here is 1st the Vellios mount came out then Rich Johnson made one that was a revision then the mad dog unit is nearly identical to the RJ mount. Just make sure you have the other side of whichever you weld in. My favorite is still the stock style one from mad dog as it doesn't interfere with anything so the least modified of any of the mounts out here.
Tdskip
So the good news is the part that mounts to the actual block appears to be dimensionally correct even though there’s quite a bit of difference in the actual topography of the mount. The Maddog mount is flush whereas the Vellios once has a mixture of radius and curves.

Click to view attachment Click to view attachment
Root_Werks
As long as you have the matching set for each mount, use whichever you prefer. Both will take gobs of HP and beating without failing.

I think the first bulkhead I ever installed was the Vellios, then RJ, the MD and even now both versions of MD's mounts. The stock style is my favorite as Ben mentioned. Little less relocating of things.
Tdskip
Thanks @mb911

I do need to trim that protrusion I circled in red in the first set of photos however, one that interfere with it mounting properly or does the channel on the firewall tilt away to allow that to fit?
mepstein
Also check the fitting of the brake valve. It needs to be relocated with some mounts.
Mark Henry
My copy is the gray one with the black engine mount.

You will have to clearance for the proportion valve, but with some mods and a creative loop in the brake line I made it work. I also had to clearance the shift rod area and a few other bits.
The body mount doesn't have the mod for the wiring snorkel (crack pipe) so you either have to weld in a U channel or you have to undo the wiring from the tail lights back to the snorkel to fish it through. I welded and cut in a U channel I made from some 2" square tube.

I have a 2nd mount here if you want to see the mods I made to mine.
Tdskip
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Jul 30 2021, 08:41 PM) *

I have a 2nd mount here if you want to see the mods I made to mine.

That would be great if you don’t mind.

Thanks!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.