Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Rear trunk latch
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
dlindzey
attached are some pictures
the latch does not hold
my upper latch looks different than what i see online ie no spring and no plastic bushing
mine is a 1971
should i just buy a new upper latch?Click to view attachment Click to view attachmentClick to view attachment
914Sixer
Looks fine but it is missing spring and perch. Several places sell plastic perch, maybe somebody has a spring for you.
bandjoey
Yep missing parts. 914rubber or Bruce Stone can probably fit you up
bdstone914
I have steel perches and cut springs to lenght. A new latch is about $150.
Bruce

@dlindzey
dlindzey
QUOTE(bdstone914 @ Jul 31 2021, 03:17 PM) *

Bruce

@dlindzey

an upper latch is $75 on line. would one fit with the old lower latch component or should one buy both upper and lower to assure closure?
bdstone914
QUOTE(dlindzey @ Jul 31 2021, 05:59 PM) *

QUOTE(bdstone914 @ Jul 31 2021, 03:17 PM) *

Bruce

@dlindzey

an upper latch is $75 on line. would one fit with the old lower latch component or should one buy both upper and lower to assure closure?

That must be the Uro latch. No need to replace the lower
Mikey914
You can file the edge to make it catch better and just get perch to start.
I'm starting to make replacement parts but will be a few weeks (the shafts).

Start cheap it usually will fix the issue.

If you need a guide bushing ours is a machined glass reinforced delrin, not Nylon like the OEM style (more durable).
dlindzey
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Jul 31 2021, 10:37 PM) *

You can file the edge to make it catch better and just get perch to start.
I'm starting to make replacement parts but will be a few weeks (the shafts).

Start cheap it usually will fix the issue.

If you need a guide bushing ours is a machined glass reinforced delrin, not Nylon like the OEM style (more durable).

i really don't know what the bushing or the spring bring to the table. it seems like the upper peg slot just won't hold the lower retractable metal post. how does the bushing and spring fix that issue?
roblav1
I tried just the bushing on mine... didn't fix it. The latches simply wear out. Same deal on early 911 front hood. I bought a new latch... fixed for good.
VaccaRabite
My rear trunk has never latched in all the years I've owned the car.

What does the bottom part look like? I have the button with the bar, but maybe I'm missing other stuff? The top latch has the spring and bushing so I figure it has to be the bottom of the latch.

Zach
dlindzey
QUOTE(VaccaRabite @ Aug 2 2021, 11:06 AM) *

My rear trunk has never latched in all the years I've owned the car.

What does the bottom part look like? I have the button with the bar, but maybe I'm missing other stuff? The top latch has the spring and bushing so I figure it has to be the bottom of the latch.

Zach

shine a light down the shaft hole of the lower part of the latch
push the key button and you should see a little hook come out from the forward side of the shaft hole. it hooks on to something, bushing or metal post not sure what. i am trying to figure it out myself
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.