Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Turn signal lens
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Ian Stott
Time to replace the front turn signal lenses, mine are the standard Amber. I have seen in the past there were lenses that were dark purple and white, are they still available and who has them?
Thanks!

Ian Stott
Moncton
Canada
Shivers
I looked all over the place, could only fine the usual suspects. But clear is here: https://www.pelicanparts.com/More_Info/N14R...ABoCjhwQAvD_BwE

And with a glass color tint something like this: https://www.amazon.com/Krylon-K09027000-Sta...e/dp/B01HP2HNTG , sprayed inside you could have any color they sell. There are spray tints that deal with the heat of a light source.
fixer34
QUOTE(Ian Stott @ Aug 1 2021, 07:21 AM) *

Time to replace the front turn signal lenses, mine are the standard Amber. I have seen in the past there were lenses that were dark purple and white, are they still available and who has them?
Thanks!

Ian Stott
Moncton
Canada

Not sure about Canada, but in the states, they are rather fussy about the lenses color. Parking lights and turn signals have to be amber.
Mikey914
QUOTE(fixer34 @ Aug 1 2021, 07:09 AM) *

Thanks!

Ian Stott
Moncton
Canada

Not sure about Canada, but in the states, they are rather fussy about the lenses color. Parking lights and turn signals have to be amber.

We have the clear, and our customers have done some cool stuff to them - Fron the side marker GB thread - http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...54483&st=25

More pics in thread
Mikey914
Another angle -
Mikey914
@Rfinegan did a really good job here. I'm sure you could use any color you want, but your local law enforcement may have some restrictions.
NARP74
I've only seen amber, Euro, clear and smoke for the lenses.
https://sierramadrecollection.com/914-914-6...og-lights-c664/
Ian Stott
QUOTE(fixer34 @ Aug 1 2021, 11:09 AM) *

Thanks!

Ian Stott
Moncton
Canada

Good point about law enforcement, better stick with the amber, as I do go stateside. Covid has kept me in my home province, restrictions slowly easing. Was less than 100 yards from the US yesterday, I waved!
bbrock
I think fiddling with turn signal, brake, and tail light colors is just asking for trouble beyond just a possible ticket. If you see a flashing amber light on the corner of a vehicle, you instantly know a turn signal is on. If someone sees a flashing purple light, the are more likely to be confused. Our cars are hard enough for monster trucks to see as it is. Consistent uniformity adds safety.
StarBear
QUOTE(bbrock @ Aug 1 2021, 10:48 AM) *

I think fiddling with turn signal, brake, and tail light colors is just asking for trouble beyond just a possible ticket. If you see a flashing amber light on the corner of a vehicle, you instantly know a turn signal is on. If someone sees a flashing purple light, the are more likely to be confused. Our cars are hard enough for monster trucks to see as it is. Consistent uniformity adds safety.

agree.gif Keep it simple and clean.
Mikey914
It is amazing how much amber does show through in the smoke when an amber LED is used. In all fairness, it's not a bright so in the daylight it might not be as easily seen.
bbrock
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Aug 1 2021, 09:01 AM) *

It is amazing how much amber does show through in the smoke when an amber LED is used. In all fairness, it's not a bright so in the daylight it might not be as easily seen.

I did something similar on my tail running lights. I run Euro lenses but US DOT wants to see amber side markers on the front of the car and red on the rear. Their argument is that it lets other drivers know which direction your car is moving. I put red LED bulbs in the rear side marker slots which show as red through the amber lens when turned on. Turn signals have amber bulbs and still show as amber.

Personally, I think any side markers that increase visibility of the car without distracting other drivers is fine so go nuts. DOT is more picky but I think those smoked side markers would pass their requirements.
infraredcalvin
My 6 seems to get a lot of attention when on the road, the gt flares make it seem so much bigger than a narrow body car. But I had a lot of issues with people not seeing my narrow body 4. When I’d flat tow I started to put the running lights on at night so the side marker lights were on. I constantly saw people swerving back to their lane cause they waited for my suv to pass, so they could change lanes not realizing the car was being pulled back there.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.