Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: GT Flairs - Fiberglass or Steel
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
johnmhudson111
Is there a good reason to use steel GT flairs as opposed to the fiberglass verions? The cost difference is pretty big and I can't really see much of an advantage of using steel.
Joe Bob
Add cost of instal and down the road maintenance.......

Then there is the bragging rights....then there is the cheap factor.....
seanery
steel can be better for resale...and you can lean on them without fear of them cracking.
For a street car I'd do steel, for a track car I would do (I am doing) full fiberglass 1/4s and fenders with the flares built-in.

Good Luck! smash.gif
GeorgeRud
I agree, steel for street or glass for track. I was faced with the same choice several years ago, went with steel and never looked back.
Luke M
Go with the steel. I got a set for under $1000. You'll be glad later. welder.gif
bjorn jacobson
Sean is right in my opinion. I have steel on my car now. I built it with the intent to enter it in vintage race events, but just about everyone I've seen running flared 914s on the track have glass.

Depends on what you want to do with it.
IronHillRestorations
STEEL, and BUTTWELDED ONLY!!!!!

I do not know anyone that's said "gee I wish I'd used fiberglass flairs instead of steel"
Eric_Shea
Can we combine all these steel/fiberglass threads and make it one big sticky for the top? biggrin.gif
SpecialK
Save weight, save money, and install the fiberglass flares, and use the difference to get a sweet 5-lug conversion from Eric, an often needed re-enforcment kit from Mark (Engman), some cool fiberglass interior stuff from Morphenspectre, or...

Don't lean on your fenders, and tell everyone their metal. If they start "feelin' up" your car........ chair.gif wink.gif
boxstr
Ask Dan Root. The major problem is getting the"STEEL" flares in the first place. Sure they are advertised, but are they available. Dan sent money months ago for a set and still hasn't received them.
Steel may be the way that everyone suggests, but how many of "those" people have actually installed them or owned a car with them installed. I have had both, and installed both. Steel is nice, but I don't really see that much difference in the glass ones. You just need to be cognesent of the fact that you probably shouldn't be leaning on them, and that they won't rust. biggrin.gif Are the steel ones worth the extra trouble and expense, in the end, no.
CCLINFLAREDTOTHEEND
BIGKAT_83
agree.gif
And this is coming from someone with plenty of both steel and fiberglass.

Bob
TravisNeff
The purchase price on steel vs fiberglass is not too large these days. But if you are having someone install the flares for you, the steel ones will cost you a pretty penny. The overall cost is much higher, unless you do your own work.

Brad anders has fiberglass flares on his car that were installed 20+ years ago, paint is also 20 years old. I have had a good look at his car and there are no cracks anywhere - food for thought.
Root_Werks
If you do them right, glass flares are just fine. wink.gif

Craig is right, getting the steel flares is hit and miss. Sometimes they have them, sometimes they don't.... and still don't. laugh.gif unsure.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.