Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Are You Missing A Package From Me?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
914Sixer
I have had 3 members tell me that there packages were NEVER shipped. I always put the packages in the mail the same day I print the label. For some reason the local pickup is NOT scanning 1st class packages. I can not prove they were shipped. So please bare with me and let me know. I will always make it right. Frustrated as hell. headbang.gif
76-914
I am not surprised. I am surprised that USPS is still in business. It would not surprise me if a Chimpanzee showed up with our mail one day. headbang.gif
Mike Fitton
Be patient, sometimes they never get scanned until they are delivered.
mepstein
USPS isn’t allowed to go out of business. It’s mandated in the constitution. Official government notices are primarily transmitted through the mail so everyone can have access to information.

“Given the importance of the post to our early Nation, it is not surprising that when the United States Constitution was ratified in 1789, Art. I, § 8, provided Congress the power 'To establish Post Offices and post Roads' and 'To make all Laws which shall be necessary and proper' for executing this task. The Post Office played a vital yet largely unappreciated role in the development of our new Nation. Stagecoach trails which were improved by the Government to become post roads quickly became arteries of commerce. Mail contracts were of great assistance to the early development of new means of transportation such as canals, railroads, and eventually airlines. During this developing stage, the Post Office was to many citizens situated across the country the most visible symbol of national unity.”

Congress's broad power over the nation's mail system was recognized in the 1878 Supreme Court decision Ex parte Jackson, according to Rehnquist. In that decision, the Justices wrote:

“The power vested in Congress 'to establish post-offices and post-roads' has been practically construed, since the foundation of the government, to authorize not merely the designation of the routes over which the mail shall be carried, and the offices where letters and other documents shall be received to be distributed or forwarded, but the carriage of the mail, and all measures necessary to secure its safe and speedy transit, and the prompt delivery of its contents…. The power possessed by Congress embraces the regulation of the entire Postal System of the country.”
StarBear
Yep; happened to me. Bought from a vendor here, got tracking # and nothing posted for tracking until after it got delivered.
johnhora
Mark...
Yes I also have been having problems in the past few weeks with USPS Priority shipments.
Recently delivery times have been exceeded and tracking has been off or not showing what is happening.
All packages have finally been delivered but not with out a little nail biting...
Hang in there.
MM1
I think I was the 4th, Mark . . .no worries and no rush - I pm'd you with the particulars - sorry they messed this up.
76-914
QUOTE(mepstein @ Aug 2 2021, 02:24 PM) *

USPS isn’t allowed to go out of business. It’s mandated in the constitution. Official government notices are primarily transmitted through the mail so everyone can have access to information.

“Given the importance of the post to our early Nation, it is not surprising that when the United States Constitution was ratified in 1789, Art. I, § 8, provided Congress the power 'To establish Post Offices and post Roads' and 'To make all Laws which shall be necessary and proper' for executing this task. The Post Office played a vital yet largely unappreciated role in the development of our new Nation. Stagecoach trails which were improved by the Government to become post roads quickly became arteries of commerce. Mail contracts were of great assistance to the early development of new means of transportation such as canals, railroads, and eventually airlines. During this developing stage, the Post Office was to many citizens situated across the country the most visible symbol of national unity.”

Congress's broad power over the nation's mail system was recognized in the 1878 Supreme Court decision Ex parte Jackson, according to Rehnquist. In that decision, the Justices wrote:

“The power vested in Congress 'to establish post-offices and post-roads' has been practically construed, since the foundation of the government, to authorize not merely the designation of the routes over which the mail shall be carried, and the offices where letters and other documents shall be received to be distributed or forwarded, but the carriage of the mail, and all measures necessary to secure its safe and speedy transit, and the prompt delivery of its contents…. The power possessed by Congress embraces the regulation of the entire Postal System of the country.”

Well there's the problem in a nutshell. Guarantee someones job nowadays and see how well they perform. We have had 5 different carriers in the past 2 years. Everyone of them complains about how crappy their job is! I suspect Amazon will be delivering mail at some point since their trucks are on everyones street everyday. av-943.gif I ordered a noid tester that never arrived. When I asked the shipper about it they said it showed as delivered. When I asked our mailman of the month about it being delivered he assured me it was delivered since he marked it delivered. Otherwise he wouldn't have marked it delivered. lol-2.gif The current mailman of the month dropped off an empty box which should have contained a bit for our jackhammer. The end of the box was clearly split open. I grabbed the box and found him a few blocks away and said take this off your "delivered items" list and take it back to your station. It's empty and should have had a heavy steel cylindrical piece inside. The response was, "Oh, that's what that was. It was laying loose in my sorting basket and no one knew what it was." Really! You have an empty box with the end iron open and the same size as the piece in question??? headbang.gif
worn
QUOTE(Mike Fitton @ Aug 2 2021, 01:06 PM) *

Be patient, sometimes they never get scanned until they are delivered.

We have truly outstanding postal folks where I live. They make the lines move fast, try to save me money, and deliver my mail tirelessly. Plus, I have some theoretical say in how they work. More than that, they don’t run their young employees ragged like the private companies do. Burn em out and hire some more with never a plan for those driving the trucks. It isn’t perfect, but I would bet my bottom dollar that some very large companies would want the usps to fold. Note one company I just bought stuff online from has filled my YouTube space with very sophisticated adverts about how great it is to work for them. I am sure that those of you who do will chime in confirming that.
The best part is that the OP is trying to cover shortcomings caused by someone else. Well done!
wonkipop
i recently had some parts shipped out to aus via USPS.
took 3 weeks to get here.
had tracking all the way.
i did some other stuff earlier in the year via USPS.
slow, took a month back then, but got here.
they may be forgetting to scan stuff, but 100% reliable.
the slow bit seems to be within continental usa. once its on a plane out of LA its here fast.
914Sixer
As of today, NONE of the missing packages have resurfaced. Most of two are over 15 days and two others are 13 days out.
JeffBowlsby
By chance were any of these insured for high values?

I have had reasonable service from USPS over the years, never lost a single package of thousands sent, but recently had a highly insured package disappear internally within the post office system. Feels like it could have been an inside job, and as far as I know USPS paid the claim to the addressee, but it was a terrible loss of some valuable and irreplaceable 914 items.
rjames
The post office is woefully understaffed. I worked there for 15 years before quitting and thankfully before it got as bad as it is now. One of my friends works 6 days a week, and at least 10 hours per day. Decisions at the top have undermined operations.

DRPHIL914
QUOTE(914Sixer @ Aug 2 2021, 02:15 PM) *

I have had 3 members tell me that there packages were NEVER shipped. I always put the packages in the mail the same day I print the label. For some reason the local pickup is NOT scanning 1st class packages. I can not prove they were shipped. So please bare with me and let me know. I will always make it right. Frustrated as hell. headbang.gif

you shipped out my front turn lenses about that time, they were received very quickly, . if those are missing now 2-3 weeks out i would bet on a "lost" or stolen packages unfortunately.

914Sixer
None of the packages were over $15 value. They were bearings and bolts with nuts. BIG haul, lol
Krieger
I'm still waiting for my check...You can just send me another one lol-2.gif
90quattrocoupe
The post office has gotten a little less reliable, since it has started being used as a political football.
I actually prefer using USPS, because for small items, it is a lot less expensive that the other 2. I look around for the best deal on specific items with a certain brand name. I make up some harnesses for bypassing the clutch immobilizers on VW/Audi. I only by from the OEM manufacturers. I have to get these in various places, because no one handles it all.
But when I look at connectors, and a company only uses UPS, I usually go elsewhere. I mean this one company wanted to charge me $16 to ship 10 connectors with a total weight of less than 4ozs. Pass. Right now I am getting those connectors from Poland. Same brand, but they are using Polish Post. Final delivery is by USPS in this country. Haven't had one not make it here. It is costing me less per unit.

In the old days you could get, replacement boots for ball joints and tie rod ends from the dealer. They stopped supplying them. Make more money selling whole ones. Well, the rear tie rods for a Audi Coupe Quattro is $170+. It is the whole arms, not just the tie rod end. If the tie rod joint is still tight and only the boot is torn, I rebuild them.
I found replacement boots in both Bulgaria and Lithuania. The cost of the boots including shipping is $10 each. Those companies use either Lithuania Post or Bulgaria post, with final delivery in this country by way of USPS. They always get here.

When I take a package to USPS, already paid for a label by me, I don't just drop it off, I get a receipt. It gets it's first scan at that time. Also, if it came to a claim, I have receipt that they received it. I also take the time to put addresses inside the package, in case the outside label is damaged.

Greg W.
914Sixer
Starting last week I hand deliver all packages USPS and wait for receipt.
bretth
I ordered something that was shipped from Louisiana recently. Seller provided me USPS tracking which only showed that the label was printed and nothing else even after 2 weeks. Thankfully the seller sent me another one, said it was the second time this year for him. The 1st package just magically disappeared.
VaccaRabite
My son had a book (The Martian Chronicles) scan as delivered by USPS but it never made it to us. We called the post office and they thought it was maybe sent to the wrong house. None of our neighbors had it... So we reported it lost to Amazon and got a new copy two days later, no biggie.

BUT! A solid month+ later guess what shows up to the door.

USPS isn't alone. Last year a full sized Front Runner roof rack got lost at UPS. It was in two large boxes. We got one, never got the other. I went to the routing station for our local UPS and was told "stuff is getting lost all over, not much we can do." Again, a call to Front Runner and we were all set, and the replacement showed up on time.

I know a couple USPS employees and they are STRETCHED right now. My local post office stopped delivering mail entirely due to covid and staffing shortages. They only do drop off now. All mail goes through the next town over. The Post is swapping staff between offices on a daily basis to try and keep the doors open. Its pretty bad. You never really know who is going to deliver your mail this past year- as opposed to the past 15 years of having the same person stop by every day at 3:30 like clockwork. Its a pretty thankless job right now, and a critical one.

Zach
914Sixer
Well 2 of the missing packages have shown up, lol. We are now at about 25 days out from shipping date. Working on giving new meaning to snail mail popcorn[1].gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.