Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Ideas on fixing this – alternatively titled how not to put an oil cooler in your car
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Tdskip
Check out this horror - this is the red 2.7 L turbo car that was extensively modified. They cut out the whole lower front part of the pan and then weld it in a funky brace to keep the torsion bars for moving.

Any Ideas on this beyond drinking heavily?

Thanks!Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
Superhawk996
headbang.gif

Handles like a dream!

Call Vince - get donor sheet metal. Silicone boogers are a nice touch!
rjames
icon8.gif
bkrantz
Might as well turn that brace into a tow bar. How much worse could it get?
wndsrfr
Minority report here...looks crude but very effective to me for an admittedly "heavily modified" car. Prep and paint and be proud of the creativity that went into this...
burton73
I am not going to spend a lot of time on this but I do not see where the torsion bars would not move. The adjustments are in the rear or the bar and if you clean this all up and come back and weld it right you can make it work or weld in a new front trunk pan.

This is not that big a deal for a man of your talents? Or not

Bob B

number 41 Click to view attachment Click to view attachmentClick to view attachment

burton73
Tom,

That are you doing with this car? If you want a nice oil cooling for a big 6 you are part way there. You really do not say what you want.

Bob B
Tdskip
Thank you for all the responses, I apologize for being slow and following up. This week kind of got away from me and I had to spend time on non-Porsche things. Oh the horror!

@burton73 - this is the car that had the turbo charged 2.7 L type4, that engine will be going back into it at some point. This will never be a show car, but it’s set up to be a good fast road car and I intend to use it as such.

@wndsrfr - I can’t really tell how solid it is, it seems like they put a lot of effort into bracing it but I don’t know how effective it is. My inclination is to try to get as much metal back in there as possible but that will be a fair amount of work.

It doesn’t seem to flex anymore than the other ones I have when I jack the car up to change wheels etc..

wndsrfr
I believe that it's just as effective if not more so at keeping the front of the torsion bars in place. I did a similar reinforcement on my car to compensate for the space cut out for the oil cooler--the one you pictured is more robust than mine...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.