Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: worn hub washer
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
JFG
I've got the caliper off to rebuild and thought i'd regrease the bearings while i'm in there.

I stripped the gubbins and found the hub washer looking like this. there is also scoring inside the hub cap.

Is this caused by over tightening?

Click to view attachment
bdstone914
Which side of the nut or bearing was contacting that surface?
What is under the washer ?
Over tightening usually results in a burned up bearing.

And what are gubbins ?
914Sixer
Looks like bearing was not seated properly. Picture seems to show worn off at an angle? Is that correct?
JFG
QUOTE(bdstone914 @ Aug 4 2021, 08:27 PM) *

Which side of the nut or bearing was contacting that surface?
What is under the washer ?
Over tightening usually results in a burned up bearing.

And what are gubbins ?

gubbins is generic for bits n bobs.

the worn side was against the smaller outer bearing.

There is no damage to the bearing or the housing.
JFG
QUOTE(914Sixer @ Aug 4 2021, 08:37 PM) *

Looks like bearing was not seated properly. Picture seems to show worn off at an angle? Is that correct?

it is indeed worn at a slight angle. the bearing is absolutely fine. I'm beginning to wonder if this was already like it when i got the car. freaking memory is pants.
theer
The hole in the center looks to be fubared. Should be nice & round except the nub. Maybe the wrong washer was used and “made to work”?
Shivers
Hi dude. I had looked up those washers, thinking I needed some. Not cheap. So I'd guess someone in the past had, like you said, over tightened it in the past. Not wanting or unable to get a new one they put that back in. I had to look where you were after "freaking memory is pants." , and the word gubbins. Great word
porschetub
QUOTE(Shivers @ Aug 8 2021, 12:08 AM) *

Hi dude. I had looked up those washers, thinking I needed some. Not cheap. So I'd guess someone in the past had, like you said, over tightened it in the past. Not wanting or unable to get a new one they put that back in. I had to look where you were after "freaking memory is pants." , and the word gubbins. Great word

Love the Brits wording for things ,worked on ships with them and funny as. av-943.gif .
Anyway back to the program, that washer looks to be totaled so the bearing and the strut would be similar ,thinking I agree unseated bearing dry.gif .
arbitrary
That almost looks like a strut top washer rather than a bearing washer?
Shivers
QUOTE(arbitrary @ Aug 8 2021, 12:52 AM) *

That almost looks like a strut top washer rather than a bearing washer?

It is just mangled, here is a pic of the spindle thrust washer

Click to view attachment
ctc911ctc

Anyone else wonder for a moment as to ‘bits and bobs’

QUOTE(porschetub @ Aug 7 2021, 10:05 PM) *

QUOTE(Shivers @ Aug 8 2021, 12:08 AM) *

Love the Brits wording for things ,worked on ships with them and funny as. av-943.gif .
Anyway back to the program, that washer looks to be totaled so the bearing and the strut would be similar ,thinking I agree unseated bearing dry.gif .

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.