Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Door shims?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Boothy
Folks!

I can make these I guess but I need to shim my passenger side door. I don't think you can buy these but figured I'd ask the experts.

Not retired (but close) so time is ALWAYS an issue.

Cheers!
914Sixer
No such item. Never required. You have a body problem.
Boothy
True. The wheelhouse, outer long, etc. and Bruce's kit was installed so something went off. Everything is solid it's just that the door gap is narrower at the bottom (front) and the latch is a little off (too low)

The wheelhouse and longs are solid but the door post had a little flex when I picked the door up at the end. I welded a bit more in the door post area and it's much more solid. It's just that the door is a little off.
cary
How is the door gap at the front fender ?
SirAndy
Was the door opening braced during welding? If not, that's where your problem probably originated.

If the gap is evenly uneven (yes, that's a thing) you might get away with opening the door and pulling/pushing straight up/down just past where it needs to be. It should settle down to a better fit that way. Done that many times.
idea.gif
Literati914
You can buy generic automotive shims at harbor freight, I have no idea if they’re sized dimensionally correct for the doors of a 914, probably not ideal but may work regardless. Anyway they come in multiple thicknesses and are cheap and worth a try. Good luck!

Boothy
Thanks all!

Door gap at the front fender is a little tighter down low so I have some room.

I did pull the door up before welding and that helped a lot. Where I did trim the section under the front door post to replace the long, I think that's where a little sag came in. I'll replace that this weekend so it will probably help.

Brace? Kicking myself but no. I put it up on blocks and aligned the door jam. Lesson to future fixers.

But all in all it looks good and is pretty solid.

Harbor Freight? No kidding? I'll try that. Wow...

bdstone914
QUOTE(Boothy @ Aug 5 2021, 04:43 AM) *

Thanks all!

I did pull the door up before welding and that helped a lot. Where I did trim the section under the front door post to replace the long, I think that's where a little sag came in. I'll replace that this weekend so it will probably help.

Brace? Kicking myself but no. I put it up on blocks and aligned the door jam. Lesson to future fixers.

Door shims are used on 911's. I think they have the same hole pattern. I would not use the HF shims unless they are full size.

@boothy
mb911
QUOTE(bdstone914 @ Aug 5 2021, 05:52 AM) *

QUOTE(Boothy @ Aug 5 2021, 04:43 AM) *

Thanks all!

Door shims are used on 911's. I think they have the same hole pattern. I would not use the HF shims unless they are full size.

@boothy

Correct 911s are the same pattern
dr914@autoatlanta.com
914 doors never had shims and if you need shims something is wrong. HOWEVER, they do make shims for the 911 which are identical:

http://www.autoatlanta.com/porsche-parts/h...;section=804-00

QUOTE(Boothy @ Aug 4 2021, 01:04 PM) *

Folks!

I can make these I guess but I need to shim my passenger side door. I don't think you can buy these but figured I'd ask the experts.

Not retired (but close) so time is ALWAYS an issue.

Cheers!

VaccaRabite
16 years ago while welding up my hell hole I did not know about bracing....
I just folded up some cardboard, drilled a couple holes and my pass door fit again. Haven't thought about it in about a decade or so. You won't need to shim it much. Hopefully.

Zach
Montreal914
But obviously, there are other suppliers too who can be cheaper smile.gif (no affiliation)

https://sierramadrecollection.com/Door-Hing...930-p17710.html

https://www.stoddard.com/90153139120.html.html

https://www.pelicanparts.com/More_Info/9015...-531-391-20-OEM

Boothy
As always, thanks for the help! Ordered a few just in case.

I do want to get it close as possible but this car is slated to be my summer driver to give my poor old truck a rest -no concourses or Sotheby's.

driving.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.