Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Rear valence vs 1.7 muffler
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Speedo
Son's 72 1.7 has a valence fitment issue. He sourced, repaired, cleaned and painted the valence and it looks great. Only problem is the indent for the exhaust pipe is too far to the left by about 2 inches. Before I cut and add two inches to the exhaust...can someone school me. Do we have the wrong exhaust, or wrong rear valence? Wrong exhaust would be the easy fix. Wrong rear valence would be a bummer as it has had a lot of time invested. If by chance we have the wrong exhaust, and someone has the correct exhaust and would like to trade, let me know. His current exhaust does not look like it has been modified.
mepstein
There’s a couple vw exhaust that look similar but have different exits. There weren’t different short valances - that I’m aware of.
Cairo94507
Please post a picture. Is this a shorty valance, deep valance? Metal, fiberglass? beerchug.gif
Speedo
This is a std short steel valence.
Click to view attachment
Speedo
You can see how far off the tailpipe and notch in the valence are...Click to view attachment
Shivers
I bought a rear valance brand new from Porsche in 82'. They only offered one type new, I could not get the full valance. The one I did buy looked just like every other one I saw, so I believe they were all the same. And if it is different, I don't believe that bumper came out till 73', so just make the exhaust fit.
bzettner
I have a ‘73 1.7, the original muffler looked like yours with the tail pipe originating from the center of the muffler. I bought an AA muffler off eBay last year and it fits perfectly with my valance which looks similar to your’s ….FYI

Here’s a pic of my muffler BEFORE I replaced itClick to view attachment
bzettner
Here’s the new muffler from AA off eBayClick to view attachment
Front yard mechanic
That valance looks terrific! You have the oppertunity to make the exauast fit perfectly centered I would just add a slip joint or pipe to move it over. Like my dentist says if you can't make it right make it bright shades.gif
Montreal914
QUOTE(bzettner @ Aug 5 2021, 07:39 PM) *

Here’s the new muffler from AA off eBayClick to view attachment

Fits nicely! smile.gif

But this might actually be a 1.8 muffler confused24.gif based on this:

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?s=&...st&p=132331

wonkipop
yep its a 1.8 exhaust. ^
the 1.8 exhaust superseded the 1.7 exhaust as the replacement part.
so it does not matter. its what you got when you went to the dealer to get a new muffler for your worn out 1.7 muffler.
i know more about these than is necessary. beer.gif

its also a single piece kombi muffler/412 muffler and exhaust but the inlet flanges are reversed on the 914 muffler versus the kombi muffler. if you can find a kombi muffler you cut the inlet flanges off and reweld them the other way up. aussies find ways to get to the bottom of things.
plenty of kombi mufflers down here, but no 914 mufflers.
the kombi muffler exited on the rh side.
its sort of parts bin stuff except they used parts of the parts and put them together differently - if that makes sense.

there is something wrong with that secondary muffler in the original inquiry. its a muffler of something else VW. maybe a kombi. maybe a 412. whatever it is the secondary muffler and pipe is wrong.

here is my "corrected" single piece kombi muffler remanufactured to be a 914 muffler.

they never changed the valences in terms of exhaust outlets.
there was just the one change from the snow plow valence to the shortened one.

Click to view attachment

by the way @bzettner your number plate is fantastic.
bdstone914
@speedo
It is not a 1.8 muffler. They have a tip that bolts to the end of the muffler. Ir appearscyou have the muffler for the porthole valance which had a different top location. At this point i would extend the tip to align with the valance.
Or get a replacement tip. PET shows them as available.
Speedo
Time to break out the welder... welder.gif
wonkipop
QUOTE(bdstone914 @ Aug 6 2021, 08:04 AM) *

@speedo
It is not a 1.8 muffler. They have a tip that bolts to the end of the muffler. Ir appearscyou have the muffler for the porthole valance which had a different top location. At this point i would extend the tip to align with the valance.
Or get a replacement tip. PET shows them as available.

i'd never picked up the early valence had the exhaust porthole more inboard than the later valence.

when you look closely at the PET they list two tailpipes for the later 1.8 muffler - which supersedes the two part muffler.
one of the tailpipes is for the 1.7/1.8 with the shorter valence and notch outlet
the other is listed as a tailpipe for 914/4, (pre 73 cars). presumably more inboard.
not sure how that would have worked in reality as its a tightish 90 degree or so turn to get to the notch even on the 1.8s.

the diagram in the parts manual is only a drawing of the early muffler.
you have to read through all the variations applying up to certain engine numbers.
using that you can work out at one stage the dealers could sell you a 1.8 muffler with two different tailpipes to suit either an earlier 4 or a 1.7/1,8 up to end of 74. or sell you an older muffler with a damper pipe if they had one lying around in stock. i think the later mufflers flowed better (but probably not by much). there seemed to be a few variations of the later muffler not necessarily listed in the parts book as well. in terms of internal baffles. all lost now to time as you can only really get a dansk unless you can find something that has sat on a shelf for 40 years.
wonkipop
if you are handy with a welder and come across a high quality original muffler for a late VW type 4 (bus/kombi/412) its an alternative to a dansk for original fit/style.

by the time VW got to 74 they had rationalised the muffler to a universal part adapted to each model or slight variation. refer all the crazy deformations in the 914 1.8 mufflers. allowances for the dipstick and the bottom of the fan casing when fitted up tight to underside of rear engine in a kombi/412.

you can see how the exhaust inlet flanges for a 914 are welded on 180 degrees compared to the VW applications.

rather than go the dansk option i managed to have found a high quality kombi muffler down here in aus made of 409 stainless. admittedly lower grade of stainless than heat exchangers but better than mild steel. i think it was an aus manufactured vw part dating from the 80s.

we cut and shut the exhaust inlets rotating them 180 degrees. made a SS tailpipe copying the original and ended up with a full stainless system to go with the heat exchangers - original style.

there are still some very good quality german made old stock VW mufflers out there and they don't necessarily sell for crazy prices. if you are after an original style system and parts.

i'm not entirely sure, but judging by the parts book porsche/vw transistioned to a single muffler part way through the 73 model year, its indicated by the engine number the older style mufflers went up to. but it seems to me the single muffler fits all models as a replacement part and the difference in the valance was covered by having two different final short tailpipes. there is also a version of the early two part muffler that covers 1.7s fitted with the damper muffler and its a different damper muffler than the early cars.

photos below show my original muffler i used as a model for modifying a vw muffler in comparison.

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
wonkipop
interesting retail comparison.

same parts shop (not accusing the parts shop of anything - dansk wholesale?).

914 version.

Click to view attachment

vw version

Click to view attachment

if you are interested you can compare how dansk go about producing the 914 variant from the same pressing parts as vw version. if the illustration from shop website catalogue is to be trusted its a little different from how vw parts suppliers did it back in 70s - see my original muffler in posts above. dansk keep the rear half of the muffler facing the engine in the same orientation for 914 or vw and then weld on the rear half facing the back of the car spun 180 degrees for the 914. at least that is what i think.
originally the mufflers were made by spinning the whole muffler for the 914 and reorienting the inlet pipe coupling flanges.

the same basic muffler seems to sell for considerably more in 914 application.

as far as i can tell there is no real difference inside these mufflers. and if there is, then there is less inside a 914 muffler.

beerchug.gif
rhodyguy
P is a $204 letter.
windforfun
AA sells the Dansk rig. I forget how much. Hex set screws would have been helpful.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.