Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: A solution to hack job dealer A/C condensor
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
MarkV
I am trying to clean up the hacked up front trunk floor. This is the solution I came up with. It was over 100 degrees here for the last 39 days so I need to keep the A/C. I just don't like the nasty installation. I am also converting to the better style condensor & a rotary compressor.

MarkV
asdf
MarkV
gh
MarkV
as
MarkV
sd
MarkV
fg
MarkV
Ran out of weld gas. Still need some more grinding, a little seam sealer & some yellow paint.

rhodyguy
props man. looks good. bonus credit for enduring the heat. rust treat, prime and paint and you're cool. wink.gif

k
tdgray
What wrong with your welds huh.gif

They make mine look like ultimate stromberg.gif
redshift
Huckster! Had me psyched!

Looks great.

M
Automotive Hindenburg
Looks great, much more sturdy then the stock install. I like the rock gratem a lot, I've got a bunch of bent fins that is just cry for one. Since your fabbing stuff up, how about making a little scoop to catch more air when your moving. What kind of condensor are you switching to?

I added an RPM switch to my install that made a world of difference. I'm running carbs so my idle rpm's flucturate a lot. The switch shuts off the compressor at rpm's lower then 800 and higher then 4200. I don't have to worry about stalling out my motor anymore when the rpm's drop and I don't have to run a stupid high idle.
bd1308
i need to come up with a idle step-up system for carbs....
redshift
Yes Britt...

user posted image
bd1308
lol2.gif lol2.gif lol2.gif lol2.gif

where do you get this random stuff?
morph
from all the 914s that i pulled apart with.the one thing i allways looked at and hated.was A/C installs.they allways looked so HACKED,and i would think."this was done at a porsche dealership?" nice improvement,and btw your welds dont look bad.practice man,practice
james
914GT
Looks great Mark! When you're done, you can come over and finish installing my A/C. biggrin.gif
MarkV
QUOTE (914GT @ Jul 25 2005, 07:36 AM)
Looks great Mark! When you're done, you can come over and finish installing my A/C. biggrin.gif

Thanks Guy. Happy to help you work on your A/C. I need to find a local source for hoses and fittings. All of the hoses on my car need to be replaced.
Dad Roberts
Please excuse my ignorance on this subject but from the pics it appears your intake for the condensor is at the front , with the air exiting at the rear of the same fixture? I know NOTHING about a 914 A/C setup. I have considered a similar setup on the pan of my VW, but not having to exit the air as you have. I was afraid of pulling the air from there because of road surface temperature. Is this the normal practice for 914 A/C? If so......I'm back to plan A..... biggrin.gif ..............Thanks for any help........Dad
scotty914
Is this the normal practice for 914 A/C?

yup that is how they did it. i would like to see how a condensor setup like a gt oil cooler would work. air in the front holes and air out a small hole in the floor
johnmhudson111
QUOTE (scott thacher @ Jul 26 2005, 10:43 AM)
Is this the normal practice for 914 A/C?

yup that is how they did it. i would like to see how a condensor setup like a gt oil cooler would work. air in the front holes and air out a small hole in the floor

Could the condensor not be mounted on the engine lid with a fan to help the air flow? How much impact would this have on engine operating tempatures? I was thinking of putting AC into the 72 with this arrangement instead of cutting up the front trunk. huh.gif
MarkV
QUOTE (Dad Roberts @ Jul 26 2005, 07:26 AM)
Please excuse my ignorance on this subject but from the pics it appears your intake for the condensor is at the front , with the air exiting at the rear of the same fixture? I know NOTHING about a 914 A/C setup. I have considered a similar setup on the pan of my VW, but not having to exit the air as you have. I was afraid of pulling the air from there because of road surface temperature. Is this the normal practice for 914 A/C? If so......I'm back to plan A..... biggrin.gif ..............Thanks for any help........Dad

The rear exit has a metal flap angled toward the rear of the car. It hangs down 1-2" below the car and forces air out of the rear opening.
MarkV
More progress
MarkV
Yellow
MarkV
last
Oled
The engine lid is for all intents and purposes a dead air spot. You can put the condensor anywhere you want if you have a big enough fan to move air. If it is on the lid you will be adding heat to intake air, not an ideal situation.
914GT
Damn Mark. That's lookin' good man! I finally painted the red car's hoods today. It is too damn hot to paint.
914rrr
Why not put the condensor in the rear quarter panel using something like the 911 AC upgrade kits?
D1A3
I was thinking the same thing! I'm wondering how dificult it woudl be to put a condenser in front of the rear wheels. Looks like it might work. Anyone know of this ever being done?

--Jason
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.